Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New York Giants Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

The team is collapsing. Time for a huge overhaul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Red Crow wrote: »
    The team is collapsing. Time for a huge overhaul

Massive overhaul. There is a lot of underperforming guys on big contracts.

Tuck has to be done.

If Eli keeps this up he needs to take a pay cut.

I think Randle has shown enough to allow Nicks to leave.

Snee, Baas, Diehl need to be moved along.

We basically need a whole new back 7 (apart from Prince) I doubt Jarius Byrd will be hanging around Buffalo so we need to make a big play for him.

Randle had two huge drops today too Higgins. This team is in the dumpster. It's clear Tuck is done yet I didn't see Moore out there a whole lot. It's clear this staff are too short sighted. I could take a beating if we showed promise and we did for a period but not enough.

Eli needs to seriously sort out himself. The Eagles are a terrible side and we still lost by 15.

Coughlin, Reese, Gilbride, Fewell etc. all need to go.

Also JPP needs to sort out his health issues or he could be gone too. I'd trade Nicks now and fire the coaching staff. This season is done for the Giants.

We are away to Da Bears on Thursday night football this week so I take it nothing will happen between now & then but if we lose (short week, on the road, we suck) then 0-6 with 11 days until MNF against the Vikes would allow time for change.

I don't know if I'm mad or sad but really just shocked at the state of the team the year. Really thought it had the makings of a good year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

HigginsJ wrote: »
    We are away to Da Bears on Thursday night football this week so I take it nothing will happen between now & then but if we lose (short week, on the road, we suck) then 0-6 with 11 days until MNF against the Vikes would allow time for change.

I don't know if I'm mad or sad but really just shocked at the state of the team the year. Really thought it had the makings of a good year

That's the worst thing about this whole scenario, we aren't a terrible football team. No way in hell should Giants ever be 0-5, and looking like they could keep this losing streak up too, must be said.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    That's the worst thing about this whole scenario, we aren't a terrible football team. No way in hell should Giants ever be 0-5, and looking like they could keep this losing streak up too, must be said.

Well it will def be 0-6 after Thursday night

Also, really can't see us being even able to trade Nicks if we tried with him being a FA next off season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

so who do we want as top 5 pick next year?

depressing situation all round

we were in position to win but find new ways to lose :mad::mad::mad::mad:

KrustyUCC wrote: »

Clowney? If he's still on the board.

Need to get a couple of LBs too.

Also, really can't see us being even able to trade Nicks if we tried with him being a FA next off season.

Someone would definitely take him IMO. If I'm being brutally honest I don't think that Eli is in a slump. He's playing poor for over a year now. It's worrying. The only solace I can take is that he's a fairly confident guy but I'm not even sure if that's a good thing. What's annoying so far is that we have no one to blame. We can't say it's this or that becuase it's everyone.

Were under so much cap pressure that we can't look to get a couple in FA. It looks like it could be 2-3 years of rebuilding guys. Eli also needs to take a huge paycut if he continues to play like this.

When's the last time a 'franchise' QB with the receivers that Eli's got start 0-5. Big Ben has 1ish reciever. Eli isn't the only problem but he's supposed to be the solution.

• Advertisement

KrustyUCC wrote: »

In an ideal world trade down with a QB needy team (Browns, Texans, Cards) & take the best available LB like CJ Mosley & pick up a TE like Ebron or Seferian Jenkins at the top of the 2nd

I'd pass on Clowney at the moment

My biggest fear is we would use a top 5 pick on Jake Matthews or Taylor Lewan. Think it would be a waste

We actually have so many problems when you think about it. Mixture of poor players and confidence being shot, really.

Linebackers, Secondary, Tight End, arguably Defensive End too, and of course, pretty much the entire OL, Pugh aside who I think will grow into a decent player for us.

Can probably add a running back to that list too.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭wawaman

In cold light of day, yesterday and the season so far doesnt get any better, if anything it poses more questions. I love Eli (bemused head on him and all!!!) but my god he has been terrible this year and to a lesser degree last year.

It was apparent last year that we had severe problems with the rush, but if anything it has gotten worse over the off season and so far during the games.

I said it last night but we cant pass, cant rush and cant defend. Its a perfect storm of uselessness

The offense is doing the defense no favours at the moment either. The D had a couple of big 3 and outs last night yet they were back on the field in no time with how poor the offense was.

That non penalty call for the hit on Eli's helmet for 1st interception at 22-21 was a sickener. Add to that the lost challenge call that should have been overturned.

Both those go our way and I feel we win that game. However, its a poor Eagles side and winning the game doesn't really solve any of our issues regardless, save maybe gain some confidence.

As it is, this team is shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Cheer up lads, the worst record a team can have and make the playoffs is 3-13.

Also, my fantasy team scored an impressive 120 points and still lost putting it at 0-5, thus continuing my commitment to the New York Football Giants.

Keno wrote: »
    Cheer up lads, the worst record a team can have and make the playoffs is 3-13.

Also, my fantasy team scored an impressive 120 points and still lost putting it at 0-5, thus continuing my commitment to the New York Football Giants.

How do you score 120 points & lose :confused:

Giants worst ever record is 1-12-1, will we get the 2 elusive wins this year

How do you score 120 points & lose :confused:

Giants worst ever record is 1-12-1, will we get the 2 elusive wins this year

I've played the #1 or #2 player for the 4 out of 5 game weeks. The luck is not with me.

4-1 in the Boards league though!

Would you prefer get the 2 wins or get the #2 pick?

I've played the #1 or #2 player for the 4 out of 5 game weeks. The luck is not with me.

4-1 in the Boards league though!

Would you prefer get the 2 wins or get the #2 pick?

I would imagine 2 wins would prob be the #2 pick at the moment.

Honestly all I want from the rest of this year is signs that JPP is getting back (he looked a bit better yesterday) that Wilson, Randle, Prince, Hill, Pugh & Beatty have a good 2nd half to the year & that we find out what Damontre Moore & Jonathan Hankins have to offer.

I still think we will prob win a fair few of our remaining games (Vikes, Skins, Eagles, Raiders, Chargers) are 6 winnable games but if we do it with youth in key spots it might not be the biggest waste of a season.

I would imagine 2 wins would prob be the #2 pick at the moment.

Honestly all I want from the rest of this year is signs that JPP is getting back (he looked a bit better yesterday) that Wilson, Randle, Prince, Hill, Pugh & Beatty have a good 2nd half to the year & that we find out what Damontre Moore & Jonathan Hankins have to offer.

I still think we will prob win a fair few of our remaining games (Vikes, Skins, Eagles, Raiders, Chargers) are 6 winnable games but if we do it with youth in key spots it might not be the biggest waste of a season.

Exactly my thoughts. No point acting as if we're going for the Super Bowl, that's well gone, but we can make the best out of this season by trusting some of the younger guys and putting our faith and game time into the right people.

6-10 with signs of progression for next year, number 10 pick where we can pick up a LBer, and we put this disaster behind us in a way that we can actually learn something from it.

A linebacker would be nice but...

• Advertisement

A linebacker would be nice but...

He did a disappearing act at the weekend much to the chargrin of his head coach.

I'll be gutted if we don't end up with CJ Mosley

He did a disappearing act at the weekend much to the chargrin of his head coach.

I'll be gutted if we don't end up with CJ Mosley

Have you seen much of Mosley, Higgins? I've virtually no idea what he's like tbh, apart from an inside linebacker.

Clowney does look like a freak of nature though, and think I read before he's one of the highest scouting ratings to ever come out of college.

Have you seen much of Mosley, Higgins? I've virtually no idea what he's like tbh, apart from an inside linebacker.

Clowney does look like a freak of nature though, and think I read before he's one of the highest scouting ratings to ever come out of college.

Mosley is excellent in pass coverage (a real solid all round LB to be fair) but the pass coverage is the big one. He can play all 3 LB spots & considering we have been abused in pass coverage the past 2 seasons that is a massive need. Mosley is probably a slight reach at 10 but if we could trade down to the mid-teens he'd be perfect.

Rivers, Connor, Herslich are all free agents after the year (& Beason can be cut if he doesn't work out) Paysinger has looked ok this year & should be kept around. If Jacquain Williams can stay fit he is also worth a spot. The free agent LB's this year are slim pickings (DJ Williams, Desmond Bishop, Joe Mays) so we may have to invest another pick at the spot in the mid rounds (Shazier from
    Ohio, Smallwood from Conneticut)

Clowney is a beast but he seems to be out of shape & not committed this year. He is due off-season surgery as well so there are just a few questions about him.

Paysinger has actually exceeded my expectations, which weren't at all high anyway to be honest, but I'd agree that he deserves to be kept around. He's mobile and can get around the field.

Have you faith in Reese actually putting two picks towards LBs and not going with his "best value on the board" routine? That's if he's still around.

Paysinger has actually exceeded my expectations, which weren't at all high anyway to be honest, but I'd agree that he deserves to be kept around. He's mobile and can get around the field.

Have you faith in Reese actually putting two picks towards LBs and not going with his "best value on the board" routine? That's if he's still around.

None whatsoever but even he must realise at this point that it's badly needed.

I also don't think that Reese has gone BPA available in the last 2 years. I think he panicked with the Bucs traded up & took Doug Martin & think he was so intent on taking a o-lineman that he selected Pugh (not that he is looking a poor player or anything) when better players like Eifert, Shariff Floyd & Alec Ogletree were still on the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

don't know why but i have feeling we got 1st W of season tonight

If we get a top 2-3 pick this year then we should trade back. We should look for as much value as possible this year. Also I hope Reese isn't our GM going into the next draft. Looking at LB'ers we could get Ryan Shazier and Mosley which could completely uturn our LB core. If we're at the top of the 1st we could trade back for an early 2nd and keep ourselves in the first round. Anyway if the Giants are on the clock and Clowney is there then we are going to take him. Also I think the criticism of Clowney is harsh. He is the most schemed against player I have seen in my short career of watching college football. If both his legs fall off he'll still be a top 5 pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭wawaman

Havent seen the game, were we any good at all? Any glimmer of hope to take into the Vikings game?

Edit: Just read the reports, more interceptions from Eli. This is one serious "slump" he is in

So my thoughts from last night

- The o-line was very good overall in both run & pass blocking. Im sure Pugh will have his share of ups n downs but he looked excellent last night

- So Brandon Jacob, well about time someone rushed for 100yards. The terminator helped

- The D-line was poor again. No passrush watsoever. Also disappointing to see big Hank get no action after playing so well sunday.

- I thought Jon Beason looked very good & then I read that he made 11 tackles (including 7 stops) So thats what a linebacker looks like

- Reuben Randle is an enigma. He is seriously talented but seems to make alot of mental errors. If he can eradicate these Nicks will be surplus to requirements

- Brandon Myers, honestly id cut him he is that useless

- & finally Eli, oh Eli. 1 of 4 for 20 yards & 2 ints followed by 8 of 9 for 132 yards & a td. He was to blame on the Myers overthrow (although you fancy Da Bears TE would have caught it) Randle was to blame on the pick 6 & im not sure on the 1st. The guy is mentally as tough as they come but this has to stop.

• Advertisement

Didn't see the game and only managed to read up on it. Had intended on watching the condensed GamePass version of it over the weekend.

1TD 3 Ints for Eli? Already on 15 for the season, his total for last year alone. I know its not just him, but something has to change as this cannot go on. Love to know his true thoughts on the season so far, the coaches, the schemes, and everything else.

Advertisement