Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

HigginsJ wrote: »

You'd have to wonder what his level would have been if he hadn't those two back to back ACLs.

Impressive work getting to where he is again this season. As the article said, nobody really gave him much of a chance of having any real impact.

He deserves massive credit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭ChicagoJoe

The momentum is heavily shifted towards the Giants. In recent history the Giants seem to have the Packer's number and even though the Giants have been winning ugly..they're still winning. I have no confidence in Green Bay's defense to step up and win a game, it seems right when Rodgers went down, so did Green Bay's lifeless defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

If Nick Foles' next 31 pass attempts are all intercepted, he would still have a higher passer rating than Eli Manning.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clarehurler98

I think nicks is awful this year . He's a lazy wr and we shudnt offer him a contract next year if he's talking 4m plus a year . Randle needs a chance to step up . Eli has shown he can win superbowls with one great receiver (Cruz) and a few other ok ones who step up (Randle or even jernigan ) use the free cap to get outside linebacker because this area is awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nicks has been injury prone and poor so I'm not sure what his value is. He certainly isn't worth big bucks. Neither is JPP, I dunno about you guys but there are rumours that he wants DeMarcus Ware kind of money and for his production bar his 2011 year he was poor. He's also has back issues. I know he's half injured at the minute but I'm not paying him huge money tbh.

What's absolutely the biggest waste of money the past two years is Eli. I just think this guy is 'off form' for a bit too long tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

I think Eli Manning is the biggest cap hit in the NFL of any team this year, pretty sure i read that a few months ago?? Obviously there's an element of swings and roundabouts the way the hits work. Its hard to figure out whats gone wrong. His talent (imo) is not in question. Self confidence the biggest problem at this stage prehaps...the fear of adding to the turnover numbers?

I don't think the Giants will get Nicks on the cheap regardless of this season. Maybe 2m less than the figures mentioned last year but not much less than that i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Red Crow wrote: »
    Nicks has been injury prone and poor so I'm not sure what his value is. He certainly isn't worth big bucks. Neither is JPP, I dunno about you guys but there are rumours that he wants DeMarcus Ware kind of money and for his production bar his 2011 year he was poor. He's also has back issues. I know he's half injured at the minute but I'm not paying him huge money tbh.

What's absolutely the biggest waste of money the past two years is Eli. I just think this guy is 'off form' for a bit too long tbh

JPP & Nicks are 2 massive question marks. You know for a fact that they both have all-pro ability but definetly not producing. If we got Nicks cheapish 4 years 36million I'd keep him. I think you have no choice but to pay JPP. Tuck is done, Kiwi is a rotational player & we have no idea if Moore will be a player.

Eli needs to take a pay cut in the off-season. Utterly awful for 18 months now

On tonight I have no faith that we win. I think the Pack will sneak it via couple of Lacy rushing TD's & a special teams score 24-16

I think nicks is awful this year . He's a lazy wr and we shudnt offer him a contract next year if he's talking 4m plus a year . Randle needs a chance to step up . Eli has shown he can win superbowls with one great receiver (Cruz) and a few other ok ones who step up (Randle or even jernigan ) use the free cap to get outside linebacker because this area is awful

Welcome to the misery thread :(

4 in a row!

4 in a row!

So, what now?

Can we actually viably win 5, or even four, of our next 6 games?

Cowboys
    @Skins
    @Chargers
    Seahawks
    @Lions
    Redskins

In my mind we're still more likely to lose 5 than win 5, but Jesus, after 4 wins on the trot and the NFC East being so bad, who knows with this division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Last night was the first time i have actually enjoyed watching the Giants this season. Even when Eli threw the early pick, it actually looked like we could run the ball and stop the Packers aswell. It tells the story of the division that after losing the first 6 we are 2 games behind the Eagles. But next week will determine the rest of the season. Lose and its all over, win and ......you never know. I was joking earlier in the season by saying the Coughlapse would be in reverse this year, but a win next week might make a believer out of a few more ! Of the next 6, with a bit of luck we might win 4 but more than likely 3 (all divisional games)

JPP called his pick six before he even did it.

Extract:
    The most amazing part of the play wasn’t the pick itself. It was JPP’s prediction that he would do just what he did.

“Honestly, I called it before it even happened, in the huddle, and sure enough that was the play,” Pierre-Paul said.

His teammates were just as impressed with Pierre-Paul’s clairvoyance as they were with his athletic play.

“We really needed a big play then and he stepped up and did something I’ve never seen before in my life,” fellow defensive end Justin Tuck said. “He actually called it in the huddle before they even came out of their huddle and told me he was going to pick this off. I’ve never seen anything like that before in my life.

“If you know JPP, you know he says some off-the-wall things from time to time, so we’re kind of used to that. We were just in the huddle talking about how we needed a big play and we needed some turnovers and he just said, ‘I’m going to pick this.’ I was kind of like, ‘Okay.’ And then when he picked it and all of the cameras were on him, but if there was a camera out there that had anything to do with me in the picture, you’re going to see me, I don’t even run out to him to celebrate; I’m literally in awe. … He literally called it and executed. I don’t know if he’s voodoo, psychic, I don’t know, but that’s something I’ve never seen before.”

“He called that out,” safety Antrel Rolle said. “He said that he was going to pick the ball. I guess that’s what you call speaking into existence. I hope he speaks more to existence.”

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/JPP-secures-Giants-win-after-predicting-Pick-6/990a8987-773f-4ffb-8bb2-9c4dfe0c908c

Eagles 6-5
    Cardinals
    Lions
    @Vikings
    Bears
    @Cowboys

Cowboys 5-5
    @Giants
    Raiders
    @Bears
    Packers
    @Redskins
    Eagles

Giants 4-6
    Cowboys
    @Redskins
    @Chargers
    Seahawks
    @Lions
    Redskins

Hard to know how it will play out. Honestly if I were a betting man I would think 8-8 wins the division.

1st things 1st we have to win our 3 divisional games. The problem is that I can't see us winning @ Lions or @ Seahawks. We have no wiggle room what so ever. I think we finish 7-9 (losing @ Skins)

Think if we prove we can stop the run game against the Skins, then we have every chance against Seahawks.

We have now kept AP, Lacy, and McCoy to under 30 yards. That's impressive. Just see if we can do it when there's something more than a back up QB.

Undoubtedly, we'd still be underdogs as our offence would need some serious improvement without even taking into account one of the league's toughest defense, but Hawks do struggle when beastmode is contained.

Wilson's ability to scramble would probably undo us anyway though!

Anyway, no point really talking about that game until we see how next Sunday goes. Lose that, and the season is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

huge game next Sunday

i think we will win it tough as team is slowly improving in all phases

Apparently NY is expecting 20mph winds with gusts to 40 and very cold weather this weekend.

Could make for some tough passing conditions.

I actually think that could work in our favour more so than Dallas, even with Eli leading the league in INTs.

He's dialed them back a bit recently and is playing more a restrictive game, but the run game has improved solidly. If weather does turn out to be as bad as expected our Run D and having Brown back could be crucial.

I'd fancy Romo to throw a pick too. Having Beason could be massive as too often in the past its easy checkdown for Romo finding Witten over the middle against us.

Double coverage on Bryant and then Beason stepping up to the plate could really help us shut down this offense on a windy day.

Terence Williams could end up being their wild card, and he's in good form recently too.

Having Hill and Beason means this is a completely different D to the one Dallas faced in Week 1. Add to that, the Cowboys are without Sean Lee, and I'm starting to get excited guys.

I really shouldn't do this to myself though...

The Giants D are certainly doing alot of talking in the build up to the Cowboys game. Hopefully they can back it up

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000285383/article/cowboys-dez-bryant-can-expect-giants-to-get-physical

Seems pretty stupid tbh. Bryant will burn the two of them now.

I know season is on the line for Giants, but if you start running your mouth and telling the whole world its your Super Bowl, then guess what, Dallas start viewing it the same way.

Sure, they may well be motivating themselves, but you can bet they're definitely motivating The Cowboys at the same time.

Much prefer when this stuff is kept in house.

http://www.ultimatenyg.com/2013-articles/november/giants-coverage.html

Article hi-lighting Beason's impact & the phenomenal impact on Jacquain Williams

• Advertisement

Some weak points that may let us down today:

1. Punt coverage
    2. Secondary
    3. OLine (besides Pugh)

I think we will be strong on:

1. Run defence
    2. Passing game (surely Eli will do something against this poor Cowboys secondary)
    3. Run game (no Sean Lee=shambles)

If we can get the pass rush going and Eli doesn't turn over the ball I can see a victory. I think Nicks will be huge in this game.

We gave them the ball 6 times in week 1. We had 6 turnovers! If we don't turn the ball over we should win this.

Romo likes to throw to Bryant, does everyone know this apart from fewell?

BZ7Ia7HIMAAFtYe.jpg
    Steve Weatherford ✔ @Weatherford5
    Follow
    This is how I'm greeted when I get 2 work today. Two 65+ punts and now U wanna test me? Random? Hmm...
    2:34 PM - 25 Nov 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPK3cDl7Ftw

I know i have felt like doing this for a while !!!

+1000

We badly need new OC next year

Fewell may have done enough to keep his job, although would not be massively upset to see him leave. Next few games might decide faith in that regard, even if we're playing for nothing.

Hope Gilbride doesn't stay due to his history with Coughlin or something. We need a change, desperately.

Coughlin won't be sacked, of that I'm sure.

Screw the Raiders.

JPP is out of tomorrow nights game. Hope they give Damontre Moore some serious game time now to see what we have

A win is a win i suppose

not pretty but always good to win in the division

• Advertisement

Will Beatty: I’m struggling to live up to my contract

Posted by Josh Alper on December 5, 2013, 11:27 AM EST
    a54b366a28487fc2d0114ae15870b0ac
    Getty Images
    Every now and then, a player heading into free agency struggles and questions are asked about whether trying to get that new deal is leading to problems producing on the field.

Giants wide receiver Hakeem Nicks is a player that’s heard such questions as he’s scuffled his way to mediocre production ahead of a chance to hit the open market. One of his teammates is having the opposite problem.

Left tackle Will Beatty got a five-year, $38.75 million contract before the season and has turned in a dreadful campaign that has included getting beaten like a drum by Redskins pass rushers last Sunday night. According to Beatty, the problem isn’t that he got paid and then shut it down.

“I know I came into this year trying to do way too much and trying to change who I was to fulfill the media hype,” Beatty said, via the New York Post. “It’s like you got the contract, now eyes are on you, people are expecting more from you and you’re trying to live up to it. My first big contract, I’m like I want to earn this contract, I want to make sure they know that I’m not just a fluke and I’m going out there just not being me, not being the guy that got me to this contract.”

There wasn’t all that much hype about Beatty coming into the season, at least relative to other Giants like Nicks, Jason Pierre-Paul and Corey Webster who have underperformed this season. There was an expectation that he would provide a solid anchor to the offensive line, however, and the team has faltered because of his inability to do that.

Beatty was able to do it in 2012 and the Giants will likely bank on a rebound from him next year because they have plenty of other holes to fill without adding a new left tackle to the shopping list.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/05/will-beatty-im-struggling-to-live-up-to-my-contract/

Shaun O'Hara even mentioned recently how Beatty just wasn't getting his hands up and using them anywhere near like he should. Been an all round shocking campaign from him, in all honesty.

Nicks, I just don't understand at all. Maybe he's been playing hurt, and that OL, leading to Eli not being great (although some of that is on him too), it just spiraled downwards from there.

Can't see him being round next year.

Advertisement