Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭robluvshandegg

wawaman wrote: »
    So the cough lapse was in reverse this year. Hopefully the 7-3 finish doesn't keep the wrong people in jobs. I think TC will last another year, as for kill drive and fewell? The opponents for next season are known:
    Home

Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Atlanta Falcons

Away

Cowboys, Eagles, Redskins, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Jacksonville Jaguars, Detroit Lions

We've also got the Titans away. (AFC SOUTH, and NFC WEST with Falcons and Lions.) Tough sledding, but anything can happen between now and the start of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Well thank god that's over. Now it's time to look at everyone who has plaed this year & figure out who will be sticking around & who will be gone. I'll be going through free-agents who I think might suit at some point

Quarterback: Eli, Curtis Painter, Ryan Nassib

No point on dwelling too long here. Eli was putrid this year. Great QB's elevate players around them. Eli failed to do that. 2 bad years in a row & it looks like his arm is gone. If he doesn't bounce back next year a big question will have to be asked. Pity Nassib got no chance this year (& we heard nothing of him) Ideally he would beat out Painter in the off-season.

Stay - Eli (possible pay cut), Nassib
    Release - Painter

Runningbacks: Wilson, Brown, Hillis, Jacobs, Cox, Scott

Hard to believe we went through so many backs this year. Wilson is starting to look like a bust due to fumbling & possibly serious injury. The ability is there but will TC trust him. Brown looked fantastic in his 1st couple if games back from injury but was very poor (& fumbly) to end the year. Jacobs went out with that one big night in Chicago. Hillis was to my eye our best & most consistent back this year. It would be no harm to try & work out a deal to keep him around in case Brown/Wilson get injured or start to fumble. Scott was cut & Cox didn't do much in limited opportunities.

Stay: Wilson, Brown, Hillis, Cox
    Release: Scott, Jacobs

Fullbacks: John Conner, Henry Hynoski

The Terminator vs Hynosaurus sounds like a fantastic B movie & it should be one hell of a training camp battle. Hynoski offers more as a receiver whereas Conner is a slightly better thumper. Both are signed up through next year. It will be a shame to lose one but you can't keep 2 fullbacks

Stay: Hynoski
    Release: Conner

Wide receiver: Nicks, Cruz, Randle, Jerrnigan, Murphy Jr.

Hopefully Cruz bounces back from injury as he totally justified his new contract. Randle was a little bit of a disappointment considering his good off-season. Murphy Jr did nothing all year & we all know what Hakeem Nicks did in the biggest season of his career. Jerrnigan is an interesting one. Up to 3 weeks ago he was probably facing the cut in the off-season but his late surge should see him stick around

Stay: Cruz, Randle, Jerrnigan
    Release: Nicks, Murphy Jr.

Tightend: Myers, Pascoe, Donnell, Robinson

Brandon Myers was a victim of poor play by himself & an offensive scheme that clearly failed to play to his strength. His contract can be voided (& it's too expensive to keep him around) Pascoe is a guy who tries hard as a do it all player but really something better should be found. Donnell is a good blocker who looks to have a little bit of ability. I'm not 100% convinced that Adrien Robinson actually exists!!

Stay: Pascoe, Donnell
    Release: Myers, Robinson

Offensive line: Beatty, Brewer, Boothe, Baas, Diehl, Pugh, Mosley, Snee

I was not convinced by the selection of Justin Pugh last year. Well I clearly knew nothing as Pugh has been superb. He started slowly but as the season went on he got better & better. The line coach commented that Pugh never made the same mistake twice. Now on to the rest of the line. Kevin Boothe was his usual solid stuff & shamefully Brandon Mosley didn't get more playing time. Brewer blew his big chance to impress & is nothing more than a back-up going forward. The other 4 were terrible, injury prone wastes of money. We need to get younger & less injury peen to allow a line time to develop to help the rest of the O

Stay: Beatty, Pugh, Mosley, Boothe, Brewer
    Release: Baas, Snee, Diehl

DT: Joseph, Jenkins, Hankins, Patterson, Kuhn, Rogers

Easily the best unit on the team. Joseph & Jenkins were stout against the run & created pressure on the QB. Patterson was nice in a sub role. As Hankins got into NFL condition he got on the field more & looks a serious prospect. Rogers is set to retire while Kuhn once again flashed some ability once he came off IR. Joseph is an impending free agent & I have read reports that he might be let go as Hankins is ready to start. This is utter rubbish to me. Joseph might just be one of the best tackles in all of football. He needs to be kept around & a long term partnership can be built around him & Hankins.

Stay: Joseph, Jenkins, Hankins, Kuhn
    Release: Rogers, Patterson

DE: JPP, Tuck, Kiwanuka, Moore

JPP is in a contract year next year & hopefully he'll be fully fit & ready to bounce back. He was clearly never up to speed after rushing back to make the season opener. Kiwi was poor & Moore didn't do much with his limited chances but he is a very young player & is a special talent. Justin Tuck finished the season with 11 sacks but don't let that mislead you as he got 6 of those in the 2 games against the Skins. He was solid against the run though. If he wants to sign a low end contract he should be kept around

Stay: JPP, Moore, Tuck (2 year, $6 million)
    Release: Kiwanuka

Linebacker: Beason, Williams, Paysinger, Connor, Herslich

Thank you Jesus (or whomever delivered Beason for a 7th round pick) He is not the complete package but is such a massive upgrade over what we have had I don't care. He should be kept on a nice reasonable contract (don't go crazy due to injury history) Paysinger was the surprise of the group ad he generally played well all year. Williams is the most talented of the group & had a massive leap in performance when Beason came in. If he can continue to develop with & learn from Beason he can be a 3 down star. Connor got injured & was eventually released & unfortunately Herslich just isn't up to this level.

Keep: Beason, Williams, Paysiner
    Release: Herslich, Connor

Cornerbacks: Amukamara, Thomas, Webster, Ross, McBride, Hosley

Amukamara generally played fairly well but he had had a better contribution in the run game than the passing game. He is a very good corner but not quite at that shut down level yet. McBride was the surprise of the group. He played really well once he got his chance. Ross's return was ruined by injury & Jayron Hosley's promise from last year was ruined for the same reason. Thomas was ok but hips clearly not the player he was (obviously!!)

Keep: Amukamara, McBride, Thomas, Hosley
    Release: Ross, Webster

Safety: Rolle, Hill, Mundy, Taylor, (Stevie Brown)

2nd to the DT's as a group overall. Hill was the star of the group once he came back from his 4 game suspension. If he can stay clean he really can be one of the very best safeties in the league. Rolle was excellent making play's all year but my lingering memory is the way he was abused by Romo in coverage on the Cowboys game winning drive. Mundy was a solid back-up & Cooper made a couple of special teams play & was good in limited action overall. I know Stevie Brown didn't play due to his pre-season injury but he seems positive about being back & if he comes back as the same player last year this is just an outstanding group

Keep: Hill, Brown, Cooper, Rolle (on a reduced/restructured deal)
    Release: Mundy

Special teams: Weatherford & Brown

Like most Giants these 2 guys started the season slowly but got better ad the season went along. Weatherford is one of the better punters in the league IMO & improved coverage will take him back to top of the rankings.

Keep: Weatherford & Brown

I'm not sure if I missed anyone (please let me know if I did)

I have a couple of cheap free-agents in mind for the TE position. Brandon Pettigrew from Detroit is a solid blocker & has the makings of a good pass catcher. I see similarities between him & Martellus and I think he would be an excellent fit if we could get hold of him. I'd also bring Jake Ballard back in for an off-season work-out & test the waters with Scott Chandler from Buffalo.

Think we will look to add a couple of veteran free-agents at WR & OL

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

On my phone in Heathrow airport so can't contribute much, but great post Higgins.

Have to agree with pretty much all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

According to espn, Kilbride Will announce his "retirement" soon. Current bucs OC and former G Men assistant Mike Sullivan is favorite to take over. Sullivan seems likely as he could be out the door in Tampa with Lovie Smith taking over. It can't get any worse than this year really.

Wouldn't be at all confident of Sullivan improving upon Gilbride. More of the same, in my eyes.

• Advertisement

According to espn, Kilbride Will announce his "retirement" soon. Current bucs OC and former G Men assistant Mike Sullivan is favorite to take over. Sullivan seems likely as he could be out the door in Tampa with Lovie Smith taking over. It can't get any worse than this year really.

Sullivan seems interesting. He is only 43 & did a good job with Mike Glennon this year.

Who else could be of interest?

I read that the Redskins want to interview Perry Fewell for the HC position. Fewell was a hot commodity a couple of years back & did a really good job this year

Knex. wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all confident of Sullivan improving upon Gilbride. More of the same, in my eyes.

Way to burst my bubble :( Glennon was good this year though.

I was wondering would a West Coast offense suit Eli & our o-line better at this point. Would like someone who would be willing to throw some new things in there.

Think the success Rivers has had this season with the system there, something that can only be improved upon, should be something we take notice of.

Sullivan has the same old age, complicated system that Gilbride has. Playcalling can be just as frustrating too.

Think the success Rivers has had this season with the system there, something that can only be improved upon, should be something we take notice of.

Sullivan has the same old age, complicated system that Gilbride has. Playcalling can be just as frustrating too.

Rivers is exactly what I had in mind when thinking of what we would be looking for.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Rivers is exactly what I had in mind when thinking of what we would be looking for.

Wonder how much of this has Couglin's stamp on it. If he's a fan of Gilbride and still wanted him around only for Mara to push him out, then Sullivan being hired is something maybe Couglin demanded, refusing to utilize a West Coast offense etc or to go with something different from his traditional ethos.

Things may not change offensively until a years time when he finally steps down, if thats the case,

• Advertisement

Wonder how much of this has Couglin's stamp on it. If he's a fan of Gilbride and still wanted him around only for Mara to push him out, then Sullivan being hired is something maybe Couglin demanded, refusing to utilize a West Coast offense etc or to go with something different from his traditional ethos.

Things may not change offensively until a years time when he finally steps down, if thats the case,

You'd wonder but look it's early days yet. I'd say Gilbride retiring was an option given to him by Mara alright.

Actually, thinking again. If Coughlin is done after next year, how many up and coming OC would be willing to join us? A new HC would probably mean new coordinators, and I can't see too many of the type of OC, with the style we want, putting themselves in that scenario. Sullivan might make sense in that scenario, and himself and Coughlin will definitely be on the same page.

Hope it doesn't mean another frustrating year before we can bring about change.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Thanks for the 2 super bowls Mr. Gilbride. Now, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Brandon Jacobs announced his retirement

Thanks for memories big man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGP0659Ak8M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Gilbride had no offense to work with. Sullivan is an awful successor to Gilbride. I'd much rather KG. Also Sullivan was terrible at the Bucs and he was lambasted for his lack of iniative and adaptability. If the Giants hire Sullivan then we're going backwards as a franchise. Coughlin wants him for familiarity and honestly Coughlin has made some awful choices the past two seasons and his team isn't producing on the field. It's probably time to move on tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Redskins confirmed that perry fewell interviewed for their HC job today

Redskins confirmed that perry fewell interviewed for their HC job today

Hard to know if it's just quota filling or if they are interested in him

Hard to know if it's just quota filling or if they are interested in him

I'd say they genuinely are interested. I'd be uncomfortable with leaving him go to a division rival too. Then again, if we are going a clean sweep after Couglin is gone season after next, it may not matter a whole pile, in the long run.

My money would be on Steve Spagnuolo being headhunted again if indeed Fewell does leave.

Will Hill was arrested in December for being $9,000 behind on child support. During the arrest the police detected a strong smell of marijuana from the car Hill was in (hill owns the car, a friend was driving) If Hill was found to be using Marijuana he will face an 8 game ban as he is a multiple repeat offender

What a waste of talent :(

Shame. I can empathize in that I don't think it should ever be illegal, and certainly its not something that will be giving you a competitive edge, especially when you're sat at home watching the playoffs.

Still though, professional athlete and responsibility and all that. He was quite good when he got going this year too.

• Advertisement

Shame. I can empathize in that I don't think it should ever be illegal, and certainly its not something that will be giving you a competitive edge, especially when you're sat at home watching the playoffs.

Still though, professional athlete and responsibility and all that. He was quite good when he got going this year too.

He has not been charged with use or possession at the moment so we will have to wait & see

Yea I see you're point about it not being the worst drug to use but it's the repeat offender side that annoys he. You know the rules & have already been suspended twice.

He was very good indeed once he got up to speed. Could give us a nice pair of safeties for few years if Stevie can bounce back from injury

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000311333/article/ny-giants-david-wilson-will-undergo-neck-surgery

:( Not great news on the David Wilson front. Going for surgery next week for a fusion of vertebrae. Won't be ready to start the season.

Leaves us in a big hole at running back. Hillis & Andre Brown will have to be brought back. Need some sort of speed in the backfield though so may have to spend a draft choice or look to sign a free agent.

Ben Tate would be a great pick up but will be well out of our price range & not much point in signing MJD as not sure what he has left. Dexter McCluster would be a great addition as a WR/RB complement but again could be a bit pricey

We might have to look to draft a running back for the 3rd year straight. If Bishop Sankey was available in the 3rd I'd love to get hold of him. As mentioned in the draft forum Tre Mason wouldn't be a bad mid round pickup either

I want a RB in this draft along with OL, TE, CB, DE, LB.

I also wouldn't be against seeing Pugh at LT as Beatty is awful. We'll need at least 2 OL picks this year. Oh and I wouldn't mind taking a QB at some point. I'd like to see a QB and RB in the later rounds. 1st, 2nd and 3rd should be OL, LB, OL.

Red Crow wrote: »
    I want a RB in this draft along with OL, TE, CB, DE, LB.

I also wouldn't be against seeing Pugh at LT as Beatty is awful. We'll need at least 2 OL picks this year. Oh and I wouldn't mind taking a QB at some point. I'd like to see a QB and RB in the later rounds. 1st, 2nd and 3rd should be OL, LB, OL.

We only have 6 picks this year (gave 7th away for Beason)

I just can't get away from taking CJ Mosley at 12 (if available) He is everything that we don't have at LB. Think we could be looking at 2 OL picks (2nd & 4th?)

Take a WR/RB in 3rd & 5th with a DB in the 6th then??

Can't see a QB being picked up really.

We should have tried to get a mid-rounder for Nicks in September :(

We'll get at least 2 compensation picks for Osi and KP (1st Rounder)

We only have 6 picks this year (gave 7th away for Beason)

I just can't get away from taking CJ Mosley at 12 (if available) He is everything that we don't have at LB. Think we could be looking at 2 OL picks (2nd & 4th?)

Take a WR/RB in 3rd & 5th with a DB in the 6th then??

Can't see a QB being picked up really.

We should have tried to get a mid-rounder for Nicks in September :(

Pretty much what I think we will do too.

Don't see us going out and getting more than 1 LB, tbh. Definitely think we need OL, WR, and RB too.

What's everyone's view on the offence moving forward? I'm not sure if firing Gilbride will solve any of the problems that we have. I think we could do with coaching changes in OL too. Personally I think it's time for Coughlin to go but that's for another day. I don't think Tom Sullivan, if hired, is going to bring much of a change to this offence and I don't think he will change the scheme. I'd love to get Kubiak for a year or so.

Loads of questions about this team.

This is Reese last year for me too if he can't supply talent to that OL. Everyone outside of Justin Pugh has been garbage. Beatty has to get back to form and hopefully he can but we still need serious upgrades at LG, C, RG.
    I'd spend 75% of the draft/FA on LG/C/RG/TE/RB

If we can get a good OL, a decent, healthy RB and a Tight End who can block and catch a pass then I have faith in this offence but otherwise Eli and the Giants O is going to suck again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Red Crow wrote: »
    We'll get at least 2 compensation picks for Osi and KP (1st Rounder)

Compensation picks are only awarded from the end of the third round to the end of the 7th.

So best case you get picks from 97th overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭boccy23

I see Michael Strahan is a finalist for the HOF.

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Compensation picks are only awarded from the end of the third round to the end of the 7th.

So best case you get picks from 97th overall.

Yeah, I was referring to his original selection. I'm not sure how compensation picks are calculated but he was a former first rounder who signed a $2M 1 year deal with the Eagles. He was cut eventually but I think it's based on contract value. We might get a 7th rounder for him.

Advertisement