Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

It also depends on who you signed I think.

"In addition to the 32 selections in each of the seven rounds, a total of 32 compensatory picks are awarded to teams that have lost more or better compensatory free agents than they signed in the previous year"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Interesting cap numbers for next year

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/33872/a-look-at-some-key-giants-cap-numbers

So who needs to take a pay cut or be cut?

Reese has serious question to answer on this contracts. David Bass & Kiwi have a $15 million cap figure this year :eek::mad:

Eli needs a serious pay cut as he can't be allowed $20million (apparently Giants could look to extend Eli in the offseason as he has only 2 more years left under contract)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Over 9m for Rolle is far too much too.

Don't mind giving himself and Eli new contracts, as long as they are reasonable and pull down the cap number for this coming year.

Bass and Kiwi's contracts are depressing. Can see them keeping both though.

From that list, I think only Webster and Snee will be cut. Depressing to think we may lose Joeseph to Free Agency. Guy is one of the best DTs in the league in my eyes.

Knex. wrote: »
    Over 9m for Rolle is far too much too.

Don't mind giving himself and Eli new contracts, as long as they are reasonable and pull down the cap number for this coming year.

Bass and Kiwi's contracts are depressing. Can see them keeping both though.

From that list, I think only Webster and Snee will be cut. Depressing to think we may lose Joeseph to Free Agency. Guy is one of the best DTs in the league in my eyes.

I will be posting an expletive filled post if we lose Joseph this offseason. To lose Bennett last year was bad enough. Reese needs to be held accountable if we lose another young star due to bad contracts elsewhere

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I will be posting an expletive filled post if we lose Joseph this offseason. To lose Bennett last year was bad enough. Reese needs to be held accountable if we lose another young star due to bad contracts elsewhere

Yup. If he hasn't learnt from the Bennett scenario, it will be the final bullet in Reese's coffin.

Tbh, if it wasn't for signing Beason for a 7th rounder, I think the pressure would be on to have him out the door along with Gilbride already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

So just a few tidbits of news regarding the Giants.

David Diehl is expected to announce his retirement shortly. He's a Free Agent anyway.

Cullen Jenkins is expected to be moved to to LDE to replace Tuck this year. That is the noise coming out of New York, indicating that Joesph and Tuck are not going to be Giants next year. Jenkins actually played well at LDE this year and I was surprised at how well he done. His speed could be an issue though.

Apparently the Giants were really impressed with Cordell last year and he's likely to be back. If I'm honest I thought he was fairly poor and I'd much rather Boothe. Maybe Cordle can try for one of the Guard positions this year. Either way we need depth and starters on that OL.

The Giants are also expected to take a look at Blackburn, Hixon and Manningham in the offseason. I'd definitely take back Hixon for returns and competition/depth.

Depressing if we lose Joseph, tbh. Who do we expect to play DT if we move Jenkins over and let Joseph go too?

Seems like we're going to be very light. No Tuck, Kiwi, Joseph, and Rogers is gone too, right? JPP still has massive question marks as well.

Looking at that, could we see a change to 3-4 defence? Almost madness to suggest it. But Jenkins, realistically, is nothing more than serviceable as a LDE in a 4-3 system. We can't have him there for 30+ snaps a game, 16 times a season. We'll get nowhere like that. Maybe if we're deciding to go to a 3-4, and with the loss of so many in the defensive line, we restructure as such. But we literally only have Beason who is in anyway a quality Linebacker then. Williams grew into the role and Paysinger was decent. That was it. Wouldn't make any sense to change scheme, for a multitude of reasons, regardless.

That's frightening, as the defensive line isn't something we were meant to be doing a major overhaul in, that's the OL.

As an aside from my ramble above, I don't mind keeping Cordell, tbh. Thought he was showed some decent signs.

Cordle is a grand back-up. Cheap vet minimum contract who knows the system. No issues but he can't be starting.

Not pushed with losing Tuck & my thoughts on letting Joseph go are well known. We would be down to 2 DE's (both of whom have loads of question marks) if Tuck goes. Free agents availed under 30 at DE are Michael Bennett, Michael Johnson, Lamarr Houston, Greg Hardy (but all of those prob outside our price range)

I don't see how we could transition to a 3-4D. Maybe Moore could play rush linebacker & drafting Barr/Mack but it would be a strange move for Fewell to make (not to mention the fact that we have only 1 serviceable MLB)

Glad Diehl is hanging up his cleats. He has been a great servant for the Giants but is clearly not able to keep going. I'd imagine Chris Snee could be following him into the sunset

Oh, I know, with regards to 3-4. It would be mental, especially considering our history of Linebackers under Reese.

I just don't see how we are going to go about filling so many Roster places. Need pretty much 2 starters for that front 4 alone. That's if JPP can actually play a season next year. We need another LBer, realistically we should draft this 1st round.

We need help in secondary, so will probably draft a CB as well. Might look to pick up another in FA. McBride and Prince are the least of our problems, admittedly though. Ross and Webster will be gone. Safeties will probably be fine for next year. Although who knows what will happen with Will Hill. Stevie Brown should add a lot though.

Then offensively, I don't even know where to start, in all honesty. 3 OL. 2 new starters, anyway. A RB, and probably a WR.

Add to that a new OC, and that's only the beginning of the uprooting that needs to be done. This team won't be right for 2-3 years, unfortunately.

I only hope the new HC, after Coughlin, is up to the job. New York is not an easy place to manage in, and we probably don't give TC enough credit for that fact alone, at times.

Starters wise, we need at least:

1 OLB,
    1 DT
    1 DE

&

1 RB
    2 OL
    and maybe a WR too.

Looking at 6/7 minimum, and they can't all be Rookies in the draft or we are done for.

We will also badly need a TE on the assumption that we go ahead & void Myers contract

• Advertisement

Dunno how I forgot that. Glaring weakness in our team all year, and as much as a cause for Eli's distress, and the run game, as the OL was.

We'd line up like this:

LDE: Jenkins
    1T: Hankins
    3T: Patterson
    RDE: Pierre-Paul

On obvious passing downs we'd be:

LDE: Moore
    DT: Hankins
    DT: Jenkins
    RDE: Pierre-Paul

You think Hankins will play most snaps? I'd be surprised, being honest. Then again, if they think they can throw him in the deep end and not have to pay big money out...

Looking forward to seeing how Moore does alright. JPP will really determine if that D is anything to fear.

Knex. wrote: »
    You think Hankins will play most snaps? I'd be surprised, being honest. Then again, if they think they can throw him in the deep end and not have to pay big money out...

Looking forward to seeing how Moore does alright. JPP will really determine if that D is anything to fear.

Cofield was replaced by Joesph just as they'll try and replace Joesph with Hankins.

It'll be a mistake letting Joesph walk although he's probably looking for huge money that could go towards the OL in FA maybe or resigning Beason, Brown x 2 etc

Packers QB coach is interviewing for OC role today. Would be an interesting signing. Obviously he has Rodgers to work with but he has made Matt Flynn a passable QB when no-one else could

Now that is much more exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Packers QB coach is interviewing for OC role today. Would be an interesting signing. Obviously he has Rodgers to work with but he has made Matt Flynn a passable QB when no-one else could

Ben Mcadoo has just been hired!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I don't know much about him but I like his name. And that's a start dammit. He obviously worked well with Rodgers and Rodgers speaks highly of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

far better hire than Sullivan

very surprised org went for unknown but i'm happy

hopefully he gets O moving next yr

He is only 36 which is very exciting. He also seems to have spent alot of time as a tight-end coach so I am sure he will appreciate if we give him a good one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

This is exciting in my eyes because ive a few friends that are packer fans and the second they heard he was interviewing for the job they were saying they hope he doesn't the job.

Brings a whole new outlook and some fresh new ideas into that offence

I think it's fairly obvious that Coughlin wanted Sullivan. But Mara calling the offence broken was very telling. Sullivan would of been a worse version of KG.

Red Crow wrote: »
    I think it's fairly obvious that Coughlin wanted Sullivan. But Mara calling the offence broken was very telling. Sullivan would of been a worse version of KG.

Said that myself as soon as I heard it a week or two ago.

Delighted we went down this route, as this is a guy who seems like he could have a massive long term contribution for this Franchise.

Also, new scheme should wake our Offense the **** up, and maybe shake Eli and co out of their comfort zone.

Giants have parted ways with TE coach Mike Pope & Running Back coach Jerald Ingram.

I know little of Ingram but I know Pope was very highly regarded & has not really been given the tools to succeed so it's a bit of a surprise to see him go.

Ingram has been at Giants since 2004 & Pope since 2000 (both you would say are Coughlin guys)

Big question...... Is Coughlin going to be a lame duck coach who see's out the final year of his contract?

Hmm. Is this a product of the new Offensive Scheme? Can't see Coughlin being too happy with both of those leaving. Added to the Gilbride stuff, you could be right. Could make his position very uneasy if Giants don't start well. They won't sack him, but it would be a rather horrible scenario, you'd imagine.

Before last season with Myers we were confident that no matter who we had at Tight End, Pope would scrub them up and make them look decent in our system. Maybe McAdoo having 6 years experience as a TE coach feels he needs something different.

Personally, I think it'll be a year or two before this team is right again.

Edit: Apparently Coughlin coached with Pope and Ingram for over 20 years.

We will look very different on both the coaching & playing side next year that's for sure.

I was having a quick look at free agents for our position of needs & who might be affordable

RB:
    James Starks-the obvious McAdoo connection
    Toby Gerhart-hard to know how good he is, but not a lot of carries to date (apparently the Vikes had some other RB)

WR:
    Dexter McCluster- Randall Cobb light?
    Brandon Lafell- We will need a couple of big bodied WR's

TE:
    Brandon Pettigrew- Could be expensive but best all round TE who will be available
    Scott Chandler- A guy Mike Pope would have loved to have had
    Jermichael Finley- Talent but inconsistent & injury prone, again the McAdoo connection

LB:
    Perry Riley - Was poor last year but very good up until then. Always bonus to weaken a rival
    Jon Beason -Obviously

If we added 1 of those guys who each position we would be a much stronger team IMO.

Who you looking at in free agency?

It's pretty clear than Coughlin would of been fired if he didn't get rid of some of the guys in offence. Mara said that Gilbride would of been fired had he not retired and it's obvious that Coughlin is under huge pressure to fix the team next season. I'd say these guys were thrown under the bus to save his own job.

In free agency id like us to address the OL. I'd like to see Mack, unlikely, or De La Puente.

Coughlin is already under pressure all ready. Lots of snippets about him throwing Pope, Ingram and Gilbride into the fire. Essentially, we have a dead man walking coaching this team. You can imagine that TC wanted to keep Bennett but that wasn't going to happen, I don't think we made much of an attempt. We signed Brandon Myers who was decent for the Raiders two years ago but it was obvious that he didn't suit our offence and wasn't exactly going to be a worthy replacement for Bennett. Sacking Pope is just stupid. The 'JPP' of Tight Ends that the Giants keep talking about seems like a load of rubbish. You could see that Bennett improved in his time here, you could see that Ballard made huge strides under Pope too. He done a really good job IMO.

Ingram hasn't had a lot to work with; a declining Jacobs, injury-prone Bradshaw, Andre Brown, David Wilson, Da'rel Scott, Peyton Hillis. But you could still justify getting rid of him if you consider the fact that he hasn't really been able to get production out of those guys. But if you're going to start sacking people why not go for the OL coach? Pat Flaherty hasn't exactly done well with this OL.

But ultimately the buck has to stop with Reese and Coughlin. If Reese can get a few FA. Improve talent in the OL, TE, LB and CB. Then he should stay but if he can't make any improvements on the talent we have then this should be his last year along with Coughlin.

And sign f**king Linval Joesph. Perry Fewell said he wants him back on this defence. I think Fewell has done a good job, I know a few on here don't like him, but I think with the loss and decline of Kenny Phillips, Corey Webster, Justin Tuck and even JPP's production; the guy has managed to turn around the defence into a pretty decent unit considering until Jon Beason we had no Linebackers!

Red Crow wrote: »

And sign f**king Linval Joesph. I think Fewell has done a good job.

Amen to the 1st point.

I was critical of Fewell early in the year but he has coached very well for the most part & clearly was helped out by having a decent LB to work with. If he coaches up another good year he could be in the running for the HC role.

If Joseph & Beason come back we have the makings of a good D with JPP, Jenkins, Hankins, Rolle, Amukamara, Williams, Brown & Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

If the Broncos lose to the Patriots on Sunday, the Giants will be the only team with a winning record against Brady (3-2).

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

Advertisement