Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

I don't see losing Nicks as a huge loss, his production dropped this year and he is struggling with injuries. Also Randle is ready to take on a bigger role on the offense. Some team needing playmakers will pick up Nicks but I don't see him having the same form he had with the giants

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Have to agree, unfortunately.

If we could get the Nicks of his first three years, and in particular post season 2011, then I'd be wanting him to stay. Unfortunately his injuries, and seemingly commitment, means there's too serious a question mark to justify the pay day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Nicks undoubtedly has the potential to be a top 10 WR but he's just shown why he'll never be at that level. He needs to go to somewhere like NE and get a huge kick up the hole and learn how to work hard at his game. Reports suggest that he's a poor trainer, he's received multiple fines in the past year and all becuase he didn't get a contract. He didn't deserve one.

But now we're going to have to draft a WR. David Wilson is a bust and we've no tight end. OL is our first priority but after that we're going to have to get a RB, WR and TE.

Maybe we can pick up some players in FA especially if we can sort out the contracts of Rolle, Eli, Baas etc. If we can sort out Centre and one of the guard positions in FA then we would be doing really well. I can see maybe a RB coming through FA as well. We'll have to go WR in the first or second then useless we feel comfortable with a guy further down the board but we've seen teams shut us down with Only Nicks and Cruz on the field so we need to get another WR.

I'd be happy to go for a stud WR in the first round if the OL was addressed through FA. The only reason I think that's so likely is that I think we're going to stack Eli with weapons and if his poor play persists then at least for any new guy coming in he'll have Cruz and another stud WR to throw to.

It's hard to know where we'll go becuase we have so many holes but you'd imagine that they'll look to get a TE in of decent calibre in the off season. Reese and Coughlin will be fired if we make no progress this year so hopefully they can go the extra mile this off season and really fix this team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I can see Nicks at Carolina. He's a good fit there IMO

• Advertisement

Red Crow wrote: »
    I can see Nicks at Carolina. He's a good fit there IMO

Yea that would be the most logical place for him to end up. (Born there & went to college there) Think the Pats & Browns might take a run at him as well.

The problem is that no matter who he is throwing to, eli has always been a guy who will throw mid, late 20s in tds and mid, late teens in picks, and struggles to get 4000 yards, apart from getting 4900 odd that year. Now I'm the biggest eli supporter going and he is absolutely clutch, and maybe with a few guys to throw to and a new offensive scheme we can have a more productive offense. But I don't think we should expect this offense to explode. But I think we would all be happy if eli stops turning it over and we can get a few yards on the ground this year

In fairness to Manning, he had 3 years in a row over 4000 yards. 2012 he was only 50 yards off, and that was when he was shocking for the last half of the season. Last year, 3800+ yards.

What I hated last year was the fact that it was clear as day our OL wasn't good enough to allow us to play our scheme, which has been a Run 'n Gun system for years. Run in down their throats, take the big gain off play action, yet we never changed it up much. Didn't get the ball out of Eli's hands quickly, no hurry up offense, etc.

I do worry, however, about Eli's accuracy in a West Coast offense. But right now I'm not massively worried. You don't run as many option routes in a West Coast, certainly not the same as Gilbride's offense, and that alone will clear a lot of picks, I would hope.

The confusion between WR and QB would drive you spare at times, and last season when things weren't going smoothly, it was more evident than ever.

Bit of a ramble, but its been a while since we talked Giants.

No I've no knocks against eli as I said huge fan, he was a victim of the scheme as much as anything else in the last year. He has always turned the ball over a lot though, but he has made up for that with two superbowls

tgdaly wrote: »
    No I've no knocks against eli as I said huge fan, he was a victim of the scheme as much as anything else in the last year. He has always turned the ball over a lot though, but he has made up for that with two superbowls

There's no doubting that his last season and a half needs to be questioned. Prior to that, his 2011 and 1st half of 2012, or first 6 games at least, were as good as any QB in the League.

I remember multiple people talking about him as an early MVP in 2012. He lead the league in passing yards and his QBR was pretty good.

Come end of season, he was a near broken man. Had 4 games or so without a TD and around 200 yards. Similar story this year.

One or two close to the Franchise whispered about his arm fading on him in 2012, but they all expected him to be back in business for 2013. Just didn't happen.

Definitely, he should be under the spot light now for next season. Needs to prove he's worth that contract, as last year or so he's certainly not. Needs to prove he still has that arm, and needs to get it done, most importantly.

Anyway, long off season to endure and torment ourselves with, and we have far bigger issues than Eli, unfortunately. He's probably one of the most, if not the most, stable thing in the team right now. That alone should show you where we are.

• Advertisement

Definitely, considering we had the cast of wanderly wagon at hb last year

David Diehl retired today after 11 seasons with the giants, 120 regular season games, and two super bowl rings. A pro bowl caliber player who will be missed by the organisation, especially at a time when our o-line is struggling. He was the one constant who could and did play everywhere on the line through his career. He was the only player on the Giants that was with the organization before Eli Manning and Coughlin. A happy retirement to him.

Diehl will def be remembered as an excellent Giant. Unfortunately the last 2 years he has either been injured or terrible so I think he has made the right decision.

Oregon State OC Danny Langsdorf is our new QB coach. Worked with McAdoo back with the Saints. Oregon State were a pretty potent offensive team with him as OC & is only 41.

Tuck talking about Free Agency.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000320427/article/new-york-giants-justin-tuck-to-test-freeagent-market

Would like to have him around the team, and have felt he got too much slack even at start of year and last season. He does a lot for the team, plays a lot roles, and is a good leader.

Just at his age and production a big contract is unlikely. Especially when you consider how we dealt with Osi. Can't justify big money for him with our needs, but we are getting awfully light in our front 4 on D.

Like you i would want him back but wouldnt give him more than a 2 year $8million deal. If someone wants to pay him more than that then so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

i hope this thing about Giants, Eli and fake memerobilia is false

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

What's that about krusty???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I'd be very surprised if there was anything behind it

• Advertisement

A lot of talk that Strahan has made the HOF. Hopefully it'll be confirmed now soon. Delighted for him if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Knex. wrote: »
    A lot of talk that Strahan has made the HOF. Hopefully it'll be confirmed now soon. Delighted for him if true.

NFL network posted a picture on Facebook one minute ago congratulating the 2014 hall of fame class and strahan was on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Yeah he got in, even though I'm a Jets fan Im delighted for him, always liked the guy

I mean Charles Hayley has FIVE rings and isn't in. A complete joke.I think terrell Davis might become a cris carter(waiting a long time to get in)

phatkev wrote: »
    Yeah he got in, even though I'm a Jets fan Im delighted for him, always liked the guy

You've matured as a fan base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭woodchopper

Thanks very much for the hospitality ye guys have shown us this week in the meadow lands.

Thanks very much for the hospitality ye guys have shown us this week in the meadow lands.

No worries. Just trade us half your roster and we'll call it quits. :P

We actually don't have the worst fixtures in the world, next season.

Home: Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, Arizona Cardinals, San Francisco 49ers, Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts

Away: Dallas Cowboys, Philadelphia Eagles, Washington Redskins, St. Louis Rams, Seattle Seahawks, Detroit Lions, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans

Thankfully we get to play the likes of Falcons, Texans, Colts and 49ers at home rather than away. You'd imagine both Falcons and Texans will be more in tune with 2012 form rather than 2013, however.

Schedule isn't out till March I think, and of course its very early days, but just thought I'd fire the fixtures up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

even as an eagles fan its nice to see strahan in the hof watched the guy make jon runyan (who was a very good tackle) his bitch for pretty much there whole careers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I bloody love Strahan!

I see Rolle is trying to recruit J Finley. TE is one of our biggest weaknesses but the guy is a massive gamble with his injury.

Any good TE's going into the draft that we could take?

Advertisement