Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wouldn't be massively keen on Finley unless he came cheap. Too many questions mark, both with his injury and his tendency to drop the ball at times.

As for the draft, a lot of hype around Eric Ebron, coming out of North Carolina, and he's expected to go in 1st round. Amaro from Texas Tech is the only other name I've heard, but I really haven't followed college football at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Can't see us going TE in the first. Although I said the same about RB in 2012.

And that turned out great!

Heh.

:(

Just spotted Greg Olsen is entering Free Agency.

I'd give him money and let Nicks go. Guy had a great year last season for Panters, showed he was able to be a hybrid TE, hit over 800 yards and was as solid as ever in run/block game.

I would be ecstatic if we could get someone like him in.

Cruz, Olsen, and Randle would be a solid trio. Jernigan as 3rd receiver, and perhaps draft another receiver unless there's good value in FA.

Running back is massive as I really don't think we can rely on Brown or Wilson as starters. Simply won't work for us.

Then we need another 2 for the OL, and perhaps then this Offence might take some decent shape. Snee will likely be gone, and that will free up quite a bit that could be put forward for signing at least one offensive lineman in FA.

Defence, we need a CB in the draft, and then look at where we stand with the front 4 and another OLB. Resigning Beason is a must, and I would love if we could keep Joseph, but not liking the noises from NY in that regard.

Who thought this time last season we would need so much 12 months on?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Olsen would be a fantastic pick-up. Like ye I'd be wary of Finley. He has never produced consistently.

The other TE in free agency I'd be interested in s Brandon Pettigrew from Detroit.

Don't see us going TE in the 1st round. CJ Fiedorowicz could be good if we got him with our 3rd round pick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

I'd like Arthur Moats in FA. Versatile and a good tackler.

Hopefully something is done to cut Baas and Snee too.

Mel Kiper & Todd McShay have put up their 2.0 mock drafts.

Kiper mocked CJ Mosley & McShay mocked Taylor Lewan

Would still be very happy if we landed Mosley but a lot of mocks seem to have him going late 1st round so it's hard to get a handle on his value at the moment. I'm still probably one of his biggest fans.

Not gone on Lewan at all. He could def be a solid run blocking RT but think it would be madness to draft OT in the 1st round 2 years in a row who can't be a LT.

If Greg Robinson or Jake Matthews not on the board in the 1st round then I would prefer we wait for a OT. For what it's worth waiting to take James Hurst (assuming he is recovered from his broken leg to work out before the draft) or Morgan Moses in the mid rounds would be good value at the OT position.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Tom coughlan has agreed a one year contract extension with the G-men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Tuck and Nicks both overvalue themselves. Everyone keeps talking about Nicks going back to Carolina for a multitude of reasons but I'm not sure if the Panthers will want an injury prone reciever to be their next guy. Some team will a lot of money will probably give Nicks a pretty good contract.

Tuck played well this year but again he's probably asking for a bit too much.

The best news is not restructuring Eli's deal. Why add more years and guarantee him more money in the future? If he can't adjust to the new offense next year then we have much more leverage next season. Nassib will get some game time next year I think.

• Advertisement

Weatherford enjoying himself this offseason. Been doing a tonne of charity work & continuing to look ripped

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/2/26/5447538/weatherford-wednesday-catching-up-with-giants-punter-steve-weatherford

Mark Herslich has signed a new deal (rumoured to be 1 yr deal for not much more than vet minimum) He is a solid bit of depth & good special teamer

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Looks like you guys are getting Verner,
    https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN/status/442711769190916096

Be interested to see how much the deal is worth, i'll miss him.

Great player and someone with his head screwed on

Looks like you guys are getting Verner,
    https://twitter.com/RVacchianoNYDN/status/442711769190916096

Be interested to see how much the deal is worth, i'll miss him.

Great player and someone with his head screwed on

Would love to see himself and Prince in the backfield. Would make a big difference if he gets up and running.

He's young too, at 25, so would mean both him and Prince could potentially be around for a while.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Very very sad to see him go tbh, he's played very well the last 2 years but had a breakout year just gone, he's only 5'11 so there are some concerns on that and his top end speed, he will get beat now and then over the top but you can live with the odd long bomb tbh

Can't see it happening. He's gonna be too expensive.

Keno wrote: »
    Can't see it happening. He's gonna be too expensive.

That's what I would have assumed. We ain't going to be big players in free agency. I think we will wait till the 1st phase of big money signings to be done with.

That being said Verner would be a fantastic addition

I see the Saints have released Mark Ingram. Considering the obvious link to us & the fact that we were thought to be heavily interested in drafting him I would see him as a fantastic pick up.

Looks like Bass is gone too. About time.

Brian de la Puente for the Saints looking a likely replacement.

Looks like Bass is gone too. About time.

Brian de la Puente for the Saints looking a likely replacement.

Thank Jeebus for that. Don't know enough about de la Puente but I hope we don't commit another big contract to a centre.

Would rather play Boothe there for a year & draft one in the mid rounds this year

• Advertisement

Our OL could look a hell of a lot better come September now.

Beatty at LT
    Boothe at LG
    Possibly Puente at C
    Pugh at RG/RT
    Drafting a RG/RT.

So are we resigned to the fact that Linval Joseph is gone? Have heard nothing about him

HigginsJ wrote: »
    So are we resigned to the fact that Linval Joseph is gone? Have heard nothing about him

Unfortunately so. He's going to get a big pay day with a lot of teams (rightfully so) wanting him.

I read he would like to stay but we can't compete monetarily. Hankins to replace him?

Unfortunately so. He's going to get a big pay day with a lot of teams (rightfully so) wanting him.

I read he would like to stay but we can't compete monetarily. Hankins to replace him?

Yea Big Hank to start. I don't have a problem with Hankins starting, was delighted we drafted him & think he can become an excellent player. It's just so frustrating to be losing a guy who is only 26 & who is going to be a top 5 DT for the duration of his next contract

Meanwhile Chris Shee & his $11 million dollar contract sit untouched

Thought Snee was told he had to take a significant pay cut?

Maybe nothing official was announced though.

Knex. wrote: »

Yup.

Fair play to him.

Knex. wrote: »

Thought so too but nothing yet.

Latest update is that we have been priced out of the race for Verner. Looking at signing for Ravens corner Corey Graham instead

Yup.

Fair play to him.

Yea indeed. Hope they get it sorted quickly. An extra $5 or $6 million in cap space would be massive

Graham isn't a no1/no2 corner like Verner is though, so wouldn't like to see us splash money on him when we will most likely resign McBride, and perhaps even Thomas - both of whom play the Nickle package/3rd corner, that Graham usually plays.

Now, he's certainly better than Thomas, and probably McBride too, although he impressed me at times last year, but FA CB money should go on a no1 or no2 guy for me, otherwise we're perhaps wasting money.

I may be wrong on that, and someone like Paully or Mikemac will hopefully jump in, but from what I saw of him last year and have read about him, he didn't feature much on the outside. That's more where our issue's lie at CB, really.

• Advertisement

Ha, just as we're talking about it. Seeing reports breaking that Snee took a cut this year from 7m+ to just over 1m, which is a ridiculous cut to take.

Trying to get a solid link, but wow, what a team player if true.

Edit: Here's a link. Just waiting for Giants to confirm it officially now.

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyorkgiants/2014/03/10/new-york-giants-chris-snee-takes-5-1m-pay-cut-2014-salary-reduced-to-1-1m/

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/03/chris_snee_takes_paycut_to_return_to_giants.html

Hero.

Advertisement