Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭wawaman

Trindon holiday has also signed today, if I remember correctly he returned a td against us for the broncos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He's fumbled 5 times in each of last two seasons, so Coughlin's heart better be strong! One of the fastest players in the league, so quite happy to have him on the Roster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Knex. wrote: »
    He's fumbled 5 times in each of last two seasons, so Coughlin's heart better be strong! One of the fastest players in the league, so quite happy to have him on the Roster.
    The reason Holliday was not re-signed by the Broncos was because he became a liability in the punt return game. He made bad decisions and he fumbled a lot. It is hard to use a roster spot on a player who just returns kick-offs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

wawaman wrote: »
    Trindon holiday has also signed today, if I remember correctly he returned a td against us for the broncos

That was him.

Lightning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Manningham is nice business. A deep threat usually brings some excitement and at least he'll be familiar with Eli. He's had a bad run with the injuries. Holliday is a poor pick up imo. Think he's had 4 career TD returns but he's a disaster when it comes to ball security. I would take consistency over a fumble machine who throws in the odd spectacular return. One fumble every 12 touches. Demps is a good addition though.
    Overall the Giants have done good business. Walton is getting better money than I would have expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Not gone on the DRC signing, think it's a lot of money for a guy who was talking about retiring a month ago. He was also beyond awful when playing for the Eagles.

Holliday won't last long. Fumbling & Tom Coughlin........... that can only end badly

If Manningham can get fit he'll be a nice addition. But don't think you can trust he will be fit to be a starter. Essentially we have Cruz & a tonne of question marks. Disappointed we didn't go get James Jones so think we will have to draft a WR early (Evans in play at 12)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭wawaman

Anyone think we would have any interest in DeSean Jackson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Higgins what will we do in the first 3? I think WR has become less of an issue now. We have unproven guys but we have lots of competition.

I think TE, LB, C have to come out in the first 4 anyway.

I would love us to take Ebron in the 1st. Eli really needs a good TE to perform.

Mate desean would cost the giants an rg3 style haul

Think we'd need to give away too much, and his salary would be too much, for us to go there now.

We still have a number of needs, and there's is good WR depth in the draft this year, so I'd imagine we'd rather go down that route and save our picks for OL/DE/TE etc

• Advertisement

Red Crow wrote: »
    Higgins what will we do in the first 3? I think WR has become less of an issue now. We have unproven guys but we have lots of competition.

I would love us to take Ebron in the 1st. Eli really needs a good TE to perform.

I can really see him bypassing LB again this year. He signed Beason and McLain, plus he signed up Paysigner, Herslich and Williams is still around too. After investing in the secondary, I think he is now more likely to draft DT or DE than a LB.

For me, its either TE in 1st, or DE/DT, but I'd be surprised if he went with Dline, tbh, unless by some miracle Clowney was still on the board.

They may go DT with someone like Aaron Donald if they decide that Jenkins can fill a spot as LDE, which he played a good few snaps in last year.

Don't really like that idea, however.

I can really see him bypassing LB again this year. He signed Beason and McLain, plus he signed up Paysigner, Herslich and Williams is still around too. After investing in the secondary, I think he is now more likely to draft DT or DE than a LB.

For me, its either TE in 1st, or DE/DT, but I'd be surprised if he went with Dline, tbh, unless by some miracle Clowney was still on the board.

They may go DT with someone like Aaron Donald if they decide that Jenkins can fill a spot as LDE, which he played a good few snaps in last year.

Don't really like that idea, however.

It depends on which way we look at the situation. Instantly Ebron at TE would probably have the biggest impact and I think that the Giants my seriously be considering taking him @ 12. But we need to invest in the LB core for the future. Bringing in a 1st round talent now would really settle us for the future. We have some decent young talent on the Dline in Hankins and Moore and we have serious talent in the secondary. Bringing in a top talent LB now to play alongside Beason and a solid secondary would be a really good move IMO. The DLine may be a problem this year but its not unreasonable to say that one of Moore or Hankins could easily set up and be a key player for us.

Right now we're looking at:
    Moore Jenkins Hankins JPP
    McClain Beason Williams
    Prince Rolle Hill DRC

With Thurmond getting lots of snaps too.

I think Jerry Reese was never going to sign JPP and Joseph to big deals and that's why Joseph didn't get a deal and that's also why we took Hankins in the second last year. We have much bigger problems on offence and two of our first three picks have to be spent there IMO.

QB: Manning, Nassib (hopefully he beats out Painter)
    RB: Jennings, Hillis, Wilson
    FB: Either Hynoski or Connor (I don't think we carry 2 FBs)
    WR: Cruz, Manningham, Jernigan, Randle, Holliday
    TE: Robinson
    OT: Beatty, Pugh, Brewer
    OG: Snee, Schwartz, Mosley, Herman
    C: Walton

Big weakness at centre. We need to draft somebody there in the first three IMO. Obviously TE is a huge problem. I can see WR late on maybe in the 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Think OT is quite likely at 12 - the Oline still needs reinforcement. Would love us to grab Eric Ebron in the first but if we go a different direction maybe we could grab a TE in the 2/3

Not sure about OT. Think we have bigger needs and Beatty has that massive contract, so won't be going anywhere, and Pugh just entering 2nd season.

We'd be more likely to look at inside guys, Guards/Centers I would think, unless they want to move Pugh inside eventually.

I would love Ebron at 12. The fact that we have not touched a TE in free agency would lead you to think that is a direction that we could be looking at. Mike Evans & CJ Mosley would be the other 2 I would be happy with.

I def think that we take a G or C in the 2-4 range. Sua-Filo out of UCLA & David Yankey (could also play OT in a pinch) out of Stanford would be nice additions in the 2nd round.

If we draft an OT in the 1st round I will eat my hat. We have Beatty & Pugh as two good young tackles. Beatty has had 1 down year so isn't suddenly going to be shafted. Schwarz could play RT if needed & we have Brewer and Mosley as back up so it's a strong position IMO.

I think DE is a glaring weakness at this point. Kiwi is not someone who is a starter (really should be no better than 4th choice at this point) JPP is a massive question at the moment but I expect him to be back to his best next year. Moore is a complete unknown. Stephon Tuitt & Kony Easly would be nice but possibly a reach. I reckon Anthony Barr will still be there at 12 & could be hard to pass on him.

While not a DE Aaron Donald could be a big XFactor on any team. A starting D-line of JPP, Big Hank, Donald, Jenkins could easily be one of the leagues best.

If I were to draft our iðeal 3 rounds I would go

Ebron
    Sua-Filo
    Kyle Van Noy

unless by some miracle Clowney was still on the board.

I don't see it happening but at what point do we pick up the phone to try & trade for him.

If he is still there at the Jags no. 3 pick I would love Reese to offer a 1&2 this year & a 1 next year and see what they would say

I would be shocked if we went OT tackle at this stage.

I'd say we'd take Mike Evans, Eric Ebron, Anthony Barr, CJ Mosley or Khalil Mack if they're there.

We have signed John Jerry (OG from Miami) to a 1 year $750k deal. Nice bit of business. At worst Jerry gives us solid depth at guard but I think he will end up starting as not convinced what Snee has left. This should rule out taking a guard early but we should still be in play for one of the top Centre's in the 3rd/4th round

Jerry Reese done a good job bar Joesph IMO. Lots of talk about Giants looking towards pass rush in the first now. Wouldn't surprise me one bit with our history.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Giants have to take Mack if he's there IMO. Superb talent.

Paully D wrote: »
    Giants have to take Mack if he's there IMO. Superb talent.

I would be delighted with him, in all honesty. Don't see him still being on the board at 12 though, although, with a lot of teams needing QBs, you never know.

I would be delighted with him, in all honesty. Don't see him still being on the board at 12 though, although, with a lot of teams needing QBs, you never know.

Yeah lots of talk about us trying to trade back. We never really get involved in anything like that.

Also who are the centres in this draft and where do they tend to go?

Yeah lots of talk about us trying to trade back. We never really get involved in anything like that.

Also who are the centres in this draft and where do they tend to go?

What did we give up last year when we moved up for Nassib, does anyone remember?

Haven't heard much on the center front, but usually they start to leave the board around the 3rd round.

Think Marcus Martin is expected to be drafted perhaps in the 2nd, but I don't know much about him at all. I was kinda late to the college football scene.

What did we give up last year when we moved up for Nassib, does anyone remember?

Haven't heard much on the center front, but usually they start to leave the board around the 3rd round.

Think Marcus Martin is expected to be drafted perhaps in the 2nd, but I don't know much about him at all. I was kinda late to the college football scene.

Don't see any centre going before the 3rd at the earliest. Travis Swanson from Arkansas is probably the top centre available. Honestly I don't think any of the centres are up to much.

Bryan Stork from Florida State in the late rounds might be the best value pick available.

What might be a better option would be to draft a high upside guard in the late rounds & see if you could train him up. Trai Turner out of LSU is one to keep an eye on.

Think we gave our 4th & 6th round pick to move up the few spots for Nassib last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Difficult to see him being there at #12, however, if the Falcons do something in terms of trading up for Clowney then I think there's a chance he might get that far. If not I think Atlanta take him.

I see 3 of the CBS analysts have the Giants taking Aaron Donald from Pittsburgh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Tuck purchased a newspaper ad to say goodbye.

tuckad.png

SWWUUto.gif

Sounds like we offered Nicks nothing. Sad really as he seems like a good guy but something happened in the last year. Sounds like he has a few regrets.

Nicks comes across very well in this interview.

• Advertisement

Picks are out:

1st Round - 12th
    2nd Round - 43rd
    3rd Round - 74th
    4th Round - 113th
    5th Round - 152nd
    5th Round - 174th - Compensatory Pick
    6th Round - 187th

I thought we would of had a 7th but I guess Louis Murphy was too good :pac:

Advertisement