Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Wooooooo we got our TE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It's an odd one, no doubt Reese will come out and say that they had him rated as a 2nd rounder yada yada yada

Yup Reese did his usual crap of trying to say it was value pick

Q: When you came into the day was he a guy that you kind of targeted or was it just how the board…?

A: Well it was just how the board unfolded for us. We had him at a value spot and obviously we could use some depth on our defensive line as well. It’s a combination of stuff like we try to get all the time.

Q: Even as a second-round pick?

A: We had him at a good spot on the board to take him right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Got a bit of a chuckle..

giantssync.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The consensus is that the other picks bar Bromley, who was a massive reach, and the Safety from San Diego were good picks.

Lots of angry Giants about the failure to take a TE and if Hankins and Moore can't step up this year then Reese could be out the door. Especially as rumours that Coughlin and McAdoo were furious that a TE wasn't drafted after no receiving TE was taken in FA. It's fairly obvious that the camp don't like Robinson and Donnell.

I've heard a lot of good things about Nat Berhe, tbh. Big hitter, follows the ball, and has a high motor. Only thing people are uneasy about is his height.

We'll miss Hill if he is gone, but this guy should be able to cover some of that void.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    I've heard a lot of good things about Nat Berhe, tbh. Big hitter, follows the ball, and has a high motor. Only thing people are uneasy about is his height.

We'll miss Hill if he is gone, but this guy should be able to cover some of that void.

Our safety situation is a hard one to call. We have the following guys on the roster.

Stevie Brown
    Antrelle Rolle
    Will Hill
    Cooper Taylor
    Quintin Demps
    Nat Berhe
    Thomas Gordon

It looks great on paper but outside of Rolle we have nothing but questions.

Hopefully Stevie bounces straight back but its a complete unknown now.

We can dream that Will Hill will only get a 4 game suspension but I'd be shocked if it were less than 8.

Demps has been signed as a special teamer.

I am excited about Cooper Taylors potential to be a hybrid S/OLB but it is based on nothing but potential.

Our record of giving late round rookies playing time is awful so expecting anything from Berhe or Gordon is just fanciful.

On a side note I am wondering if anyone would be up for doing a positional preview before training camp starts once our 90 man panel is finalised. If we break it down by position and we each take a couple of spots and do a write up of what we have, who will be starters, back up, practise squad potential, dark horses etc.

On a side note I am wondering if anyone would be up for doing a positional preview before training camp starts once our 90 man panel is finalised. If we break it down by position and we each take a couple of spots and do a write up of what we have, who will be starters, back up, practise squad potential, dark horses etc.

I have a hunch that Demps won't make the Roster come September.

Holiday and Beckham Jnr will probably be the main returners. Randle may still do punt returns. Jernigan could be used again too, although he's not the best. Beats Cox though, although practically every option does.

- - - -

Would be well up for the positional preview, for sure. Might be a nice idea for another thread, perhaps, and get some of the other lads with different teams involved with their own players, and also to give their thoughts on our situation, and vice versa.

We start with our own here anyway, and go from there. Nice idea, Higgins!

Eli was taking a few snaps during the offseason conditioning programme today. Looks like he won't miss any offseason OTA's etc.

First day: April 21
    OTA offseason workouts: May 28-30, June 2-3, June 5, June 9-10, June 12-13
    Mandatory minicamp: June 17-19

Training camp is from Friday, July 27 to Tuesday, August 14.

Giants sign.... Rusty Smith..

Perennial practice squad guy for the Titans...

Giants release ..... Rusty Smith

We'll miss you Rusty

• Advertisement

Well, he lasted long!

Didn't understand the need for him in the first place anyway, unless it was some sort of gauging of Nassib's progress.

Knex. wrote: »
    Well, he lasted long!

Didn't understand the need for him in the first place anyway, unless it was some sort of gauging of Nassib's progress.

That would have been my worry, but it was probably more to do with just having an arm in case Eli wasn't ready to go

9aabd648-1845-4de0-bd33-c5089a7f487b_BeckhamCatch.gif

odb_medium.gif

Reese on ODB:
    Reese on whether Beckham can play outside
    Q: Are there ever any concerns that two receivers can be too similar. [Beckham] said he models his game after Victor?
    A: No, I do not worry about that. Victor is an inside receiver, [Beckham] is an outside receiver. [Beckham] has more speed than Victor on the outside. I don’t think they are similar, I think [Beckham] said he likes Victor because they are similar in size. He is a little bit taller than Victor maybe. His body type and the way he moves around on the field are what I think [Beckham] likes about Victor, but I think they are two different receivers.

Beckham was ranked between 6-10 on the Giants board
    Q: Was it safe to say [Beckham] was a top-10 guy on your board?
    A: That’s correct.
    Q: Was it safe to say [Beckham] was a top-5 guy on your board.
    A: Not safe to say that.

Reese expects Beckham to contribute immediately and possibly be the return man
    Q: In former Offensive Coordinator Kevin Gilbride’s offense, there was always an adjustment period with new receivers. With Ben [McAdoo] do you think [Beckham] can come in and contribute right away?
    A: We hope so. Anytime you pick a guy at 12 you expect him to come in and be a contributor for you. He definitely can come in and be your first punt and kick returner right out of the gate. We think that this guy is a lump-in-your-throat kind of kick and punt returner. If he gets some blocks, he can go with it. That was very attractive because you are getting a two-for-one kind of guy. To answer your question, is he going to take some type of adjustment, all rookies take some adjustment to play up here, but we think he’s pretty close to get ready to go.

Giants released QB Rusty Smith, LB Allen Bradford, CB Junior Mertile and P Jordan Gay yesterday. Not surprising really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

So how do they line up now.

Beatty Schwartz Richburg Snee Pugh
    --Beckham Davis
    Victor Cruz

Manning

Hynoski
    Jennings

--Kiwanuka Hankins Jenkins Pierre-Paul

Williams Beason McClain
    ----R.Cromartie Rolle Demps Amukamara

So how do they line up now.

Beatty Schwartz Richburg Snee Pugh
    --Beckham Davis
    Victor Cruz

Manning

Hynoski
    Jennings

--Kiwanuka Hankins Jenkins Pierre-Paul

Williams Beason McClain
    ----R.Cromartie Rolle Demps Amukamara

Agree with most of that. I presume that Stevie Brown will partner Rolle at safety if Will Hill is suspended.

I would love Moore to start over Kiwi but it's probably unlikely.

I'm still to be convinced that Snee will play this year so I'd probably go with John Jerry there for now.

Finally I'd have Larry Donnell pencilled in as our starting TE with the vague hope that Adrien Robinson may turn out to be a good TE

Giants claim Jamaal Johnson-Webb OL off waivers. Seems to have been cut from a few teams but he must be showing something to keep getting work with teams.

Xavier Grimble will be signed today but again as JMR pointed out he's a blocking TE. So that completes the 90 man roster for the time being.

Also it'll be Ayers/Kiwi rotating on the left and JPP/Moore on the right?

Interested in this Kelcy Quarles guy we have too. Seems to have similar stats to Jay Bromley but in the same division. CBS had him as a 3rd/4th rounder.

We'll really need Hankins to step up this year to replace Joseph.

Cool. I'll have a bit of time this weekend, at last, so might do some research and see if I can draw up something for the 90 players, similar to how Higgins suggested.

I'd be up for it all right

This is actually as good a base to work from as any.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2014/05/giants_depth_chart_post-nfl_draft.html
    Here’s one view of how the depth chart might look right now in mid-May.

(Note: Starters in italics; one position per player)

OFFENSE

Quarterback: Eli Manning

Curtis Painter

Ryan Nassib

Josh Freeman
    Analysis: Nassib and Freeman have to prove themselves this spring and summer before they gain the staff's confidence.

Running Back: Rashad Jennings

Peyton Hillis

Andre Williams (R)
    Michael Cox

Kendall Gaskins

David Wilson
    Analysis: Hillis will have to hold off Williams and Cox. Wilson (neck) is at the bottom until he actually gets cleared.

Fullback: Henry Hynoski

John Conner
    Analysis: Hynoski appears to be the better fit in Ben McAdoo's new offense.

Left Tackle: Will Beatty

Charles Brown

Troy Kropog
    Jamaal Johnson-Webb
    Analysis: Brown is the top option in case Beatty (broken leg) isn't ready.

Left Guard: Geoff Schwartz

James Brewer

Stephen Goodin
    Analysis: Schwartz was signed to start at left guard immediately. Behind him is a logjam of younger players who need to prove themselves … and veteran John Jerry (see right guard).

Center: J.D. Walton

Weston Richburg
    Dallas Reynolds
    Analysis: Walton is still likely the early favorite to start. Richburg will have his chances though.

Right Guard: Chris Snee

John Jerry

Eric Herman
    Analysis: Jerry is next in line behind Snee, who is still a question mark because it's still to be determined whether he can hold up in full-contact drills.

Right Tackle: Justin Pugh

Brandon Mosley

Steven Baker
    Analysis: The Giants can move other guys around (Brown, Schwartz, Jerry, Brewer) if for some reason Pugh needs to flip sides.

Tight End: Kellen Davis

Adrien Robinson

Larry Donnell

Daniel Fells
    Xavier Grimble (R)
    Analysis: Robinson still has something to prove. Davis and Fells are the only two with any real NFL experience. Grimble could fly up the depth chart if he impresses.

Wide Receiver 1: Odell Beckham Jr. (R)
    Mario Manningham

Preston Parker
    Analysis: The Giants didn't draft Beckham 12th overall to sit on the bench. Plus, Manningham's knee is still not 100 percent.

Wide Receiver 2: Rueben Randle

Julian Talley

Kris Adams

Marcus Harris
    Analysis: Right now, it's Randle's job to lose. Jerrel Jernigan, still best suited in the slot, is likely his stiffest competition.

Slot Receiver: Victor Cruz

Jerrel Jernigan

Trindon Holliday 

Travis Harvey
    Analysis: The Giants have made it clear they envision Cruz spending most of his time in the slot in their new offense.

DEFENSE
    Right Defensive End: Jason Pierre-Paul

Damontre Moore
    Emmanuel Dieke (R)
    Analysis: The Giants are counting heavily on Pierre-Paul and Moore. They should be on the field together often on passing downs, too.

Defensive Tackle 1: Cullen Jenkins

Markus Kuhn
    Kelcy Quarles (R)
    Jordan Stanton (R)
    Analysis: The veteran Jenkins is the starter. Kuhn will have to hold off Quarles, an undrafted free agent.

Defensive Tackle 2: Johnathan Hankins

Mike Patterson
    Jay Bromley (R)
    Eathyn Manumaleuna (R)
    Analysis: The Giants are expecting big things from Hankins. Bromley, their third-round pick, could quickly bypass Patterson and possibly bump him from the roster.

Left Defensive End: Mathias Kiwanuka

Robert Ayers
    Kerry Wynn (R)
    Analysis: Kiwanuka and Ayers are the run-stuffing ends. May the best man win.

Strongside Linebacker: Jameel McClain

Spencer Adkins

Kendrick Adams
    Analysis: The Giants signed McClain this offseason to be the SAM starter. Paysinger or Kennard could be his primary backup.

Middle Linebacker: Jon Beason

Mark Herzlich
    Devon Kennard (R)
    Dan Fox (R)
    Analysis: It's Beason's starting job. He is the leader of the defense.Bbut Kennard could earn the backup role ahead of Herzlich with a strong training camp.

Weakside Linebacker: Jacquian Williams

Spencer Paysinger

Justin Anderson (R)
    Analysis: Consider Williams and Paysinger co-starters.

Cornerback 1: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Trumaine McBride

Bennett Jackson (R)
    Analysis: Rodgers-Cromartie is the Giants' No. 1 cornerback. Coach Tom Coughlin has made that clear.

Cornerback 2: Prince Amukamara

Zach Bowman

Ross Weaver

Travis Howard
    Analysis: Prince is locked in. Bowman will be competing with a slew of CBs (McBride, Hosley, Jackson) for a roster spot.

Slot Cornerback: Walter Thurmond

Jayron Hosley

Charles James

Laron Scott
    Analysis: The Giants signed Thurmond for this role. Hosley has something to prove in order to stick on the roster.

Strong Safety: Antrel Rolle

Stevie Brown

Cooper Taylor
    Thomas Gordon (R)
    Analysis: Rolle is a Pro Bowl safety. Brown is a proven NFL starter who could slide to free safety if Hill is suspended and/or released.

Free Safety: Will Hill

Quintin Demps
    Nat Berhe (R)
    C.J. Barnett (R)
    Analysis: Hill is still atop the list until we know where about his appeal for a failed drug test.

Kicker: Josh Brown

Brandon McManus
    Analysis: McManus is likely a camp leg.

Punter: Steve Weatherford

Long Snapper: Zak DeOssie

Kickoff Returner: Quintin Demps

Trindon Holliday

Odell Beckham (R)
    Michael Cox
    Analysis: Demps, Holliday and Beckham could all earn this job. It kind of depends on how the roster shakes out.

Punt Returner: Trindon Holliday

Odell Beckham (R)
    Rueben Randle

Jayron Hosley
    Analysis: Holliday was signed with this in mind.

• Advertisement

http://www.giants.com/team/roster.html

The full roster can be found here & it is updated daily following any changes.

So who is up for taking a position or two

HigginsJ
    Knex
    Glued

http://www.giants.com/team/roster.html

The full roster can be found here & it is updated daily following any changes.

So who is up for taking a position or two

HigginsJ
    Knex
    Glued

Keep me away from the linebackers, and aside from that I am happy :D

yeah i'll do one

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/5/14/5715424/ny-giants-rumors-news-tyler-sash-arrested

Tyler Sash arrested but not before he tried to flee the police on a scooter and then hide behind a tree. Another wasted Jerry Reese late round pick

what a nutter

At least he was good on ST on SB winning team 2011

Projected starters for all NFC East teams, starting with NY Giants. (Tabs at top of article allow you to switch team)

They have us in a Nickle package if you're wondering where our other Linebacker is. Thurmond on field as the slot corner.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000350324/article/projected-2014-starters-new-york-giants

Never realised Nassib played in a West Coast system in college. Still would be surprised to see him beat out Freeman, but that must help him out a fair bit.

The main takeaways from day 1 of OTA's

The oline (minus Will Beatty) lined up as

LT James Brewer LG Geoff Schwarz C JD Walton RG Chris Snee RT Justin Pugh

No real surprises there. Weston Richburg lined up at RG not C for the second string. They went as follows

LT Charles Brown LG Brandon Mosley C Dallas Reynolds RG Weston Richburg RT Troy Kropog

Here is hoping that Brandon Mosley stays fit and we come to our senses and get Richburg at C. Beatty, Schwarz, Richburg, Mosley, Pugh would be a smashing line.

Eli took some snaps so looks like he won't miss any time after the surgery. David Wilson was also involved but he has not yet been cleared for contact

Not much news apart from that, can't seem to find out what way the QB depth looked so any news be appreciated.

Dan Fox a UDFA LB had the play of the day with an INT for pick 6

Nassib is working with the 2nd string.

5 main takaways
    Focus on the Fundamentals
    The early part of practice was spent practicing one of the most important fundamentals of football: tackling. In drills, players worked on taking the right angles and used pads and sleds to work on the proper tackling form. Even though there isn’t any contact in OTAs, drills like these are the best way to make sure tackling is sound early in the season.

Spreading it Around
    A lot of the drills early in practice focused on the quarterbacks getting the ball to the running backs and tight ends after running short routes. Both position groups showed good hands and the ability to run good routes. It’s fun to think about the potential variety in the Giants’ new offense. Adrien Robinson had a nice sliding catch near the sideline during 11 on 11 drills. They also ran a number of different screen passes during team drills.

Timing
    The individual drills between the quarterbacks and skill position players seemed to focus on quick drops and throws. The wide receivers ran a lot of hitches, digs, and slants. During the 7 on 7 and 11 on 11 portions of practice, I only counted one pass that traveled more than 15 yards in the air

Forcing Turnovers
    The defense, from the line to the secondary, was all over the field for most of practice. They were very active in blowing up a couple of screen passes and seemed to be a step quicker than their offensive counterparts. This should not come as much of a surprise since the offense is still in the process of learning a new system. Early in practice a number of defenders were working on catching the football one-handed. Forcing turnovers will once again be a focus of Perry Fewell’s group. That focus was punctuated by a great interception by Charles James, returning it for a touchdown. Rookie Nat Berhe also had a chance at an interception early in practice, but he couldn’t hold onto it.

Getting Healthy
    Eli Manning, David Wilson, Stevie Brown and Jason Pierre-Paul were all out there for a second consecutive day and none showed any ill effects from their respective injuries. Manning had to roll out several times to avoid pass rushers, David Wilson looked explosive, Stevie Brown was active in the secondary, and Jason Pierre-Paul was in the backfield consistently. After practice, David Wilson said he will have tests on his neck on June 4th, and he hopes with good results he will be cleared for contact.

Apparently Brown is looking very good and is picking up his partnership with Rolle were they left off a year ago.

• Advertisement

With the questions we all have over Eli's arm at this point in his career, a quick short passing attack is exciting and our best hope.

Advertisement