Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Well, that doesn't sound good.

Any idea how long he'll be out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Knex. wrote: »
    Well, that doesn't sound good.

Any idea how long he'll be out?

Didn't say knex when I seen it, was just breaking news

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/LB-Jon-Beason-injury-update/41d10f00-45db-4186-a57e-8f939b87d07b

“The prognosis is X amount of time and it (the Sept. 8 opener) is within that timeframe,” Beason said today. “I expect to be back (for that game). If not, I’ll be back as soon as I can. That’s really how you have to look at it. If it’s not 16 (games played), maybe it’s 15 or 14. Whatever it is, you want it to be that number as opposed to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Would be a worry to miss all of the pre-season. I know he is saying be back for week 1 but you'd have to wonder how ready to go he will be.

Apparently Devon Kennard & not Mark Herslich stepped in to the MLB role

• Registered Users Posts: 40,029 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Would be a worry to miss all of the pre-season. I know he is saying be back for week 1 but you'd have to wonder how ready to go he will be.

Apparently Devon Kennard & not Mark Herslich stepped in to the MLB role
    If a player is only ready to go week 1 then he hasn't had any preseason and there is nothing that replaces game time.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    If a player is only ready to go week 1 then he hasn't had any preseason and there is nothing that replaces game time.

The cupboard is so bare behind Beason at LB that if he is 75% for Week 1 I would expect him to start

Tom Coughlin said that Eli is throwing the ball with more velocity than he has with years. Seems to be hinting at him having injuries in the past that he kept under the wraps.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I just really do hope that we can see a 2011 Eli, and not the back end of 2012, and 2013.

He likes the fact that there's a new playbook that forces him back to study as well. For all the vets, really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hi there, my Ravens signed former 1st round pick Aaron Ross today.

I don't know a whole lot about him, I see he was on IR last year. He didn't get much attention in free agency and the message boards say he signed for vet minimum.

Is he any good? :)

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hi there, my Ravens signed former 1st round pick Aaron Ross today.

I don't know a whole lot about him, I see he was on IR last year. He didn't get much attention in free agency and the message boards say he signed for vet minimum.

Is he any good? :)

He could do ok as a very bit part player (5th choice on depth chart would be most you would want him to be) He left us for a year to join the Jags on a 3 year $15 million deal but was released after a year of less than sterling play.

Honestly would be surprised if he made a 53 at this point in time

I'll put it this way, I would be annoyed to see him on the Giants roster this year.

If he signed for a minimum, then its not so bad. He's a decent fella, so it seems, and its not like Ravens will need him to start. His best days are well behind him, however, and I wouldn't think he ever quite fulfilled that 1st round pick.

• Advertisement

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/6/23/5835458/jerry-reese-ny-giants-wfan-news-chris-snee-david-wilson

Jerry Reese's comments from interview this week, really not sounding good for Chris Snee. I'd say we could well be looking at Snee retiring.

Will be interesting at RG if Snee is not available. I have been calling for Brandon Mosley from the day we drafted him so he would be my choice but I know some view Weston Richburg as an option at guard this year.

Beatty, Schwarz, Richburg, Mosley, Pugh would be a very positive youthful line

Damontre Moore looking like he put on a nice bit of muscle to me. Apparently he had a few sessions with Strahan, who really liked his game and wanted to show him how to break down film tape and so on, and passed on some tricks of the trade.

Hell knows, we really need him to kick on and fulfill his promise. If he can edge towards being a double digit sack DE, it would make a massive, massive difference.

I'm sceptical he can do it, but it should be interesting to watch at least.

Damontre Moore looking like he put on a nice bit of muscle to me. Apparently he had a few sessions with Strahan, who really liked his game and wanted to show him how to break down film tape and so on, and passed on some tricks of the trade.

Hell knows, we really need him to kick on and fulfill his promise. If he can edge towards being a double digit sack DE, it would make a massive, massive difference.

I'm sceptical he can do it, but it should be interesting to watch at least.

They are positive signs indeed that he might be taking things seriously. If he can't learn to play the run however he can forget about getting on the field as a full time starter.

He would be an ideal OLB if we do decide to run some hybrid 3-4 D this year. JPP, Jenkins & Big Hank at NT certainly make it a possibility that we could try something like that

Yeah, would not be surprised if we showed a few hybrid looks this season.

Speaking of OLB's, really hoping Jacquian Williams can push on this year. I think he can take that OLB slot for himself, especially if Beason is out and McLain is pushed inside, and become a more than solid starter for us. He's shown glimpses of real talent on occasion, so really hoping he nails down some consistency next year.

Think I read that last season he was used primarily in a nickle formation, and Paysinger played primarily when using base 4-3, but from what I can gather, Williams is progressing enough for him to take over entirely on the weakside.

I liked what Paysinger did for us, last season, but I definitely think Williams' ceiling and potential is higher.

Yeah, would not be surprised if we showed a few hybrid looks this season.

Speaking of OLB's, really hoping Jacquian Williams can push on this year. I think he can take that OLB slot for himself, especially if Beason is out and McLain is pushed inside, and become a more than solid starter for us. He's shown glimpses of real talent on occasion, so really hoping he nails down some consistency next year.

Think I read that last season he was used primarily in a nickle formation, and Paysinger played primarily when using base 4-3, but from what I can gather, Williams is progressing enough for him to take over entirely on the weakside.

I liked what Paysinger did for us, last season, but I definitely think Williams' ceiling and potential is higher.

Williams is potentially a special talent, to have an OLB who can cover guys like Jordan Reed & Zach Ertz would be fantastic but much like Moore he needs to learn to play the run & learn the defense fully. Paysinger was a really pleasant surprise last year, he is a great reader of the game and is a leader on the defense. Williams has been going with the 1's during OTA's but I wouldn't rule Paysinger out yet.

Really like some of the young unheraled talent on the team, if guys like Pugh, Mosley, Robinson, Hankins, Williams & Paysinger develop we will have a great core to go with the established veterans.

Really looking forward to Hynoserus vs The Terminator in training camp. Should be a great battle. I know Conner did well when he came in last year but I still think Hynoski has a much better all round game & is potentially the best full back in football.

So training camp starts Tuesday.

Our current 90 man roster can be found here

http://www.giants.com/team/roster.html

A quick look at the QB, TE & FB positional battles

Ryan Nassib vs Curtis Painter: Usually a back up QB battle is unimportant but last year we carried 3 QB's and that is not sustainable. It was disappointing that Nassib was inactive for most games & at no stage seemed like usurping Painter, now that most likely down to Coughlins innate conservatism. In OTA's Nassib appeared to be No.2 & as the Giants invested 2 draft picks in him he will clearly be given every oppurtunity to win the role. In the end it might be close but Nassib's potential should win out.

John Conner vs Henry Hynoski: By the start of the season both of these guys should be starting FB's in the NFL but we can only keep 1. Conner has the advantage of being a slightly better lead blocker where as Hynoski has the better skill set. A lot will depend on what Ben McAdoo wants from the position. It really is a toss of a coin here, personally it would keep Hynoski as he has the greater upside but I have read a few articles that seem to have Conner as the slight favourite. 2 fan favourites, it is a shame that only one can stay.

Adrien Robinson vs Larry Donnell vs Kellen Davis vs Daniel Fells vs Xavier Grimble: By far and away this is the position with the greatest uncertainty heading in to camp. Robinson is in his 3rd year & has never caught a pass, Donnell has 3 in the same time frame, Fells & Davis are decent blocking TE's & Grimble is an UDFA. Robinson was drafted as the JPP of TE's bit the only thing they gave shared to date is a long list of injuries. It is **** or get off the pot time for him. After a year on the practise squad as an UDFA Donnell was active in all 16 games last year & in week 2 had 3 catches for 31 yards against the Broncos. He failed to register another catch for the rest of the year. So far in OTA's Robinson has been lighting it up but I will need to see him make the leap in pads before getting my hopes up. My gut instinct tells me that Larry Donnell will earn the starting role with Robinson coming in on obvious passing downs as a 2nd TE with Davis getting some work in the run game. Fells won't see out camp & Grimble will make the practise squad.

Will breakdown the RB, WR & O-Line battles tomorrow evening

Great work. Cheers, Higgins.

Had heard noises that Snee wasn't recovering as hoped, and now reading that he's having a sitdown with Giants to discuss whether he retires or not.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366240/article/chris-snee-to-meet-with-giants-concerning-future

I know we could never expect Pro Bowl form again, but I had really hoped for him to be able to contribute this season.

And..
    "Elbow pain been causing Snee not to be able to do needed lifting for upper body to create size and necessary strength. Lingering question is whether Snee and/or Giants are optimistic of recovery and timing of potential recovery. Hope clears up issue, heading into Monday's camp opener. Question took shape last month, so nothing new - just waiting on the direction. Adds to importance of Mosley's development, quick study of Richburg, and Jerry's knee recovery . also, that a healthy Walton holds Center spot." - Paul Dottino

Had heard noises that Snee wasn't recovering as hoped, and now reading that he's having a sitdown with Giants to discuss whether he retires or not.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000366240/article/chris-snee-to-meet-with-giants-concerning-future

I know we could never expect Pro Bowl form again, but I had really hoped for him to be able to contribute this season.

And..

It has been coming to be fair, think he should hang up the cleats & move on. He will be missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Snee will officially announce his retirement today

Happy to hear Wilson is cleared for Camp. I think he could be a pretty decent player for us, especially if balanced workload between the likes of Jennings and Hillis.

McAdoo could really help his career come along as well.

Happy to hear Wilson is cleared for Camp. I think he could be a pretty decent player for us, especially if balanced workload between the likes of Jennings and Hillis.

McAdoo could really help his career come along as well.

Bit of trust from TC would go a long way & then ball security, ball security, ball security!

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Bit of trust from TC would go a long way & then ball security, ball security, ball security!

Absolutely.

Also, as expected, Snee has retired.

Probably one of the best offensive linemen in Giants history.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Snee was a fine player and a great servant for the G-Men.

Great we'll just play with no LB's & no TE's!!!!

Very interesting that Devon Kennard is the the no.4 backer behind Beason, Paysinger & McClain. Poor sign for Williams & Herslich

I don't rate Herslich at all, really. However, I think with Kennard its more that they like him in the MLB role, and Williams and Paysinger are reserved for alternating the outside berths.

Fairly sure Kennard first stepped in MLB when Beason went down, before the brough McClain inside from his strong side OLB. Could be wrong, though.

I don't rate Herslich at all, really. However, I think with Kennard its more that they like him in the MLB role, and Williams and Paysinger are reserved for alternating the outside berths.

Fairly sure Kennard first stepped in MLB when Beason went down, before the brough McClain inside from his strong side OLB. Could be wrong, though.

Spot on Kennard did step in for Beason.

Herslich may not make the roster tbh, Dan Fox from ND is pushing him hard

• Advertisement

All is well with McLain, thankfully. He's back training.

ODB is still worryingly struggling with his hamstring though.

Advertisement