Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Anyone else a bit surprised Manningham wasn't cut? Was half expecting it, maybe the Harris injury saved him but he appears finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'd say his history with the Giants is the only reason he is still around, that and the fact that aside from Cruz, there's not a lot of catches in that receiving corp.

Its looking ominous for him though, certainly.

HigginsJ wrote: »

Had seen some of his quotes yesterday, alright. I knew he really liked the guy, as he had mentioned him in previous interviews, but surprised in quite the manner he spoke out against the Giants decision, tbh.

Ultimately, though, James isn't good enough. Just unfortunate that that Giants are losing such a positive character. Had thought his special team play would keep him around, but seems it wasn't to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

not impressed with Rolle

a team captain should not call out organisation like that

Yeah James had INTs in practice

he was terrible on game day when it counted and that's why he was released

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raddaboutye

Folks, going to the Washington game on December 14th. Best place to get tickets? Stubhub? Anywhere else? Long time fan and first time going to catch a game. Excitement levels are high already.

Folks, going to the Washington game on December 14th. Best place to get tickets? Stubhub? Anywhere else? Long time fan and first time going to catch a game. Excitement levels are high already.

I used stubhub the one and only time I was in MetLife. I would say ask in the main thread, "Wacky World...", as some of the lads, such as Heli, would have more experience.

Enjoy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Raddaboutye

Knex. wrote: »
    I used stubhub the one and only time I was in MetLife. I would say ask in the main thread, "Wacky World...", as some of the lads, such as Heli, would have more experience.

Enjoy! :D

Cheers Knex. Fired a post of there.

Back to 'Who's fault was it?', between Eli and Randle for that first drive.

• Advertisement

No news yet on roster cuts but being reported that we will keep 4 TE's (Donnell, Robinson, Fells & Davis) on the roster. I really hope that's not true as outside of Donnell none of the other 3 are worth hanging on to. Hopefully we might snag someone off of waivers.

One of my favourite prospects in this years draft, Yawin Smallwood had been cut by the Falcons. Not one for our 53 but if the Falcons don't put him on their practise squad I'd like to see us add him

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

yjWISQl.jpg

Kelcy Quarles & Curtis Painter have been cut. Would be very surprised if Quarles isn't added to the practise squad and it's good to only be carrying 2 QB's

Actually just found an updated list

Israel Idonije (DE) -

Kelcy Quarles (DT) *signed to practice squad pending waiver wire

Bennett Jackson (CB)

Kellen Davis (TE)

John Conner (FB)

Dan Fox (LB)

Jamaal Johnson-Webb (OL)

Curtis Painter (QB)

Adam Gress (OL)

Trindon Holliday (WR/PR/KR) - Injured Reserve

Mario Manningham (WR) - Injured Reserve

Sounds like Corey Washington has made the 53 which is great news and we will only carry 3 TE's it seems

Waiting to see if someone will release a TE we could use but nothing yet

So the 53 man roster is as follows

Quarterback - 2

1) Eli Manning

2) Ryan Nassib

Running Back - 3

1) Rashad Jennings

2) Andre Williams (rookie)

3) Peyton Hillis

Fullback - 1

1) Henry Hynoski

Wide Receiver - 6

1) Victor Cruz

2) Ruben Randle

3) Odell Beckham Jr (rookie)

4) Jerrel Jernigan

5) Preston Parker

6) Corey Washington (rookie)

Tight End - 3

1) Larry Donnel

2) Adrien Robinson

3) Daniel Fells

Offensive Line - 10

1) Will Beatty

2) Justin Pugh

3) JD Walton

4) Geoff Schwartz

5) Weston Richburg (rookie)

6) Brandon Mosley

7) James Brewer

8) John Jerry

9) Charles Brown

10) Dallas Reynolds

Defense

Defensive End - 5

1) Jason Pierre-Paul

2) Mathias Kiwanuka

3) DaMontre Moore

4) Robert Ayers

5) Kerry Wynn (rookie)

Defensive Tackle - 5

1) Cullen Jenkins

2) John Hankins

3) Mike Patterson

4) Jay Bromley (rookie)

5) Markus Kuhn

Linebacker - 6

1) Jon Beason

2) Jacquian Williams

3) Devon Kennard (rookie)

4) Jameel McClain

5) Spencer Paysinger

6) Mark Herzlich

Safety - 4

1) Antrel Rolle

2) Stevie Brown

3) Quentin Demps

4) Nat Berhe (rookie)

Cornerback - 5

1) Prince Amukamara

2) Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

3) Walter Thurmond III

4) Zack Bowman

5) Trumaine McBride

Special Teams - 3

Punter - Steve Weatherford

Kicker - Josh Brown

Long Snapper - Zak DeOssie

Surprised to see only 3 RB's so think we could make a move there before next week. We are not putting Schwarz on IR so have to carry 10 line men for the next 3/4 weeks to allow him time to get fit.

Kerry Wynn is a bit of a surprise to make the 53. Delighted Washington had made it now let's see him produce when big boy football starts.

Think we will be pretty solid on D this year but really worried about our O. The line outside of Pugh is a huge question me & it's hard to know what the starting 5 will be against Detroit. You have to hope Larry Donnell can produce at TE but I won't hold my breath that any of the 3 break 250 yards this year.

Really have very low expectations this year, will be lucky to get 6 wins IMO

Said it to someone earlier, we won 5 out of 5 in preseason, but if we even win 5 in regular season, we're about on par.

Don't expect a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jack_Reacher9

Saw the Giants v Steelers when i was in NY earlier in the month.....i heard they have a very new offense but they ran everything; i mean everything. Maybe they were saving Eli as he was switched after 2 plays but it looked odd. Was this merely a testing exercise to practice their running game?? PS Metlife stadium is awesome!

http://www.bigblueview.com/2014/9/1/6093335/updated-giants-2014-depth-chart-team-releases-new-unofficial-depth

Our "unofficial" depth chart.

Donnell starting at TE.

Beatty, Richburg, Walton, Mosley, Pugh is the o-line with Schwartz out injured

Kennard, McClain, Williams at LB with Beason still out. Excited to see Kennard this year & the progress from Williams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

no OBJ for week one

Dang hammy just won't heal

reckon we won't see him much beyond kick returns early part this yr

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    no OBJ for week one

Dang hammy just won't heal

reckon we won't see him much beyond kick returns early part this yr

At this point I'd be surprised if he manages more than 300 receiving yards this year. He hopefully will come on late in the year but he has missed way too much time at a position that is a tough transition from college to the pros. Should be a nice weapon for Brett Hundley next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

It's a much better roster than we have had for the last few years. Last year has thought me not to be too optimistic but if Eli can play like the Eli of old there is no reason we can't reach the playoffs. I don't see a division win but I don't agree with the 5-11, 6-10 records being thrown around, especially after finishing 7-9 last year after starting 0-6. New offense sure but the roster is better

There's a trend in the media at the moment whereby many are thinking we're closer to first pick in the Draft next year, than we are to making the playoffs.

I'm not very optimistic, truth be told. We have the best D in the NFC East though, by a solid amount I would think, so that might just see us through. But there is so many question marks on the offensive side of the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

There's a trend in the media at the moment whereby many are thinking we're closer to first pick in the Draft next year, than we are to making the playoffs.

I'm not very optimistic, truth be told. We have the best D in the NFC East though, by a solid amount I would think, so that might just see us through. But there is so many question marks on the offensive side of the ball.

I agree completely. But defense wins championships and as you say we have the best possibly in the East. It's a lot of ifs but if JPP plays like the old JPP, with the upgrades at CB, I think it could be a top 10 unit. Of course how much the defense will be on the field depends on the offense. Sure there are a lot of questions on offense, but lets not forget not much more could have gone wrong on offense than did last year and we started 0-6 and still scraped a 7-9. The offense has to play better this year, no way Eli can be that bad again. And upgrades on defense at CB + fit again JPP + Jon Beason means we should be ok

Also lets not forget, it's not as if the offense has ever been outstanding. I'm the biggest Eli fan going and he is clutch when it counts, but outside of the playoffs the offenses have been statistically average. If Eli and the offense do enough the defense can carry us into the playoffs and then anything can happen. I'd predict 9-7, 10-6. The Cowboys defense will be awful and I don't see the Redskins being that good. The Eagles should win the division but it'll only be by a game or to, the NFC East is always tight. We have every chance of a wildcard

I am sorry to be the voice of pessimism here but I really see us having a poor year. At best I think we are a 6-10 team

I am sorry to be the voice of pessimism here but I really see us having a poor year. At best I think we are a 6-10 team

I can't argue too much against that, tbh.

So Schwartz is placed on short term IR, and won't play for us until week 9. Christ.

Signed former 9'ers OLman, Snyder. He's versatile, but not exactly great, from what I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

So Schwartz is placed on short term IR, and won't play for us until week 9. Christ.

Signed former 9'ers OLman, Snyder. He's versatile, but not exactly great, from what I can tell.

"not exactly great" is very generous. He can do a job at run block but it poor at the pass.

Eli is getting sacked a lot this season.

I agree with everyone's pessimism in here. I think we can get 7-9 (which is a depressing sentence to type).

Our game plan tonight:

1. 3 runs and hope for a 1st down

2. If 1st down gained repeat until 1st down is not gained, get the best punter in the NFL to down the ball inside the Lions 10

3. Hope the Lions make a mistake that results in a pick 6 or strip 6

4. If the ball is turnover inside fieldgoal range kick the field goal on 1st down

5. If outside Field goal range repeat steps 1, 2, 3 & 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭boccy23

Could be very true.

I am forever hopeful so could see us doing something on offense. Can't see us winning, but something like 30-17 or 34-20 is possible.

Detroit on D is nothing to be feared.

• Advertisement

Our game plan tonight:

1. 3 runs and hope for a 1st down

2. If 1st down gained repeat until 1st down is not gained, get the best punter in the NFL to down the ball inside the Lions 10

3. Hope the Lions make a mistake that results in a pick 6 or strip 6

4. If the ball is turnover inside fieldgoal range kick the field goal on 1st down

5. If outside Field goal range repeat steps 1, 2, 3 & 4

I foresee this being annoyingly accurate.

Advertisement