Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Geremy Davis in 6th

Big body WR

Good hands

Struggles with seperation and plays slow in game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    I saw the Longhorns when I was in Austin twice. Can't say I noticed him all that much. Reading up on him, apparently he made great strides this past year.

He's raw, but seems to have a great work ethic and is an intelligent kid (despite the contacts story!). Seems the Giants were the only team he visited too, so he must have made a damn good impression.

Not gonna hope for him to be a starter any time soon, or anything, but we'll see how he turns out. Definitely a "project" pick.

Thanks for that. Ran a 4.5 40 which is good for a guy of 6-1. He was a 4 star recruit to Texas and was the #15 rated athlete in the class. I'm not surprised that we added another safety but surely Cody Prewitt from Ole Miss is a much better prospect?

Bobby Hart from Florida St is our final pick. Matt Millers #21 rated OT but he he is clearly an OG

Below is Millers scouting report on Hart.
    Height Weight Arm Length 40 Bench Press
    6'5" 329 lbs 33" - -
    STRENGTHS
    Bobby Hart started nine games in his freshman season at 17 years old. He is a young, raw, high-upside offensive lineman with tons of experience in Florida State's pro-style blocking scheme. Hart has an NFL frame with thick, strong legs and enough height to match his big, strong hands. He's a top-tier run-blocker who is ideal for a move to offensive guard in a power-run scheme.

WEAKNESSES
    Hart was the fourth-best lineman for Florida State in 2014 and would have been better off playing inside, where Tre' Jackson and Josue Matias were anchored in as starters. He's an average athlete who lacks the movement skills to mirror and slide with speed-rushers. He doesn't move his feet well through contact and will give up after his first move. While he has average length, he doesn't use it well on the edge. If left on the edge, Hart won't be able to reach backside linebackers or edge players in the run game.

Here is the Geremy Davis report from Miller
    40 Bench Press Vertical Broad 3-Cone
    4.48s 23 Reps 36.5" 124.0" 6.86s
    STRENGTHS
    A big receiver with strong, sure hands, Geremy Davis didn't drop a pass in 2014, with 44 catches. With good speed, a huge wingspan (77") and soft hands, Davis will get a look from NFL scouts. He has a big, strong frame and comes off the line with power.

Teams trying to jam Davis will struggle, because he has length and uses his quickness well to shake defenders off the snap. He's a physical receiver with some post-up and red-zone skills.

WEAKNESSES
    If you're looking for production, Davis is not your guy. He's scored just six touchdowns in two seasons despite having red-zone size. He is not a savvy route-runner at this point and struggles with body control and lean.

A lack of speed on film is the big issue here. He's not twitchy and doesn't pop with the burst or long acceleration you want in a wide receiver. Davis will struggle to get open in the NFL if he can't improve his ability as a route-runner. Don't let his workout numbers fool you—Davis did not look that fast or agile on film.

2014 STATISTICS
    Receptions Yards Receiving Touchdowns
    44 521 3
    FINAL GRADE: 5.25/9.00 (Quality Backup)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Wonder will Davis end up as a TE for us. Send him to the gym for a year, see if he can add that bulk.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Wonder will Davis end up as a TE for us. Send him to the gym for a year, see if he can add that bulk.

It'd be fairly hard to make that transition at this stage unless you were going to use him on obvious passing downs. I wouldn't trust a guy like that blocking for me. Don't understand any of the picks 5 through 7 but hopefully we get a starter out of one of them.

Reese seems to like these major project guys and he will give average talent a chance to progress. Robinson being a prime example. It's a bit of a lottery in the late rounds anyway but we have been so poor an unearthing talent from the latter stages of the draft.

Damontre Moore is younger than Wam Dig. Still only 22. Jesus!

Keen on seeing if he can step up a level now under Spags.

Reese sees Davis as a possession based first down receiver and ST core guy. Compared him to Jason Avant even.

Here is our list of UDFA's so far
    New York Giants:
    Justin Currie, S, Western Michigan
    Sean Donnelly, OT, Tulane
    Cole Farrand, LB, Maryland
    Brad Harrah, DE, Cincinnati
    Akeem Hunt, RB, Purdue
    Matt LaCosse, TE, Illinois
    Gary Nova, QB, Rutgers
    Brad Bars, DE, Penn State
    Takari Johnson, LB, Concordia Ann-Arbor

CFL Players invited to rookie mini-camp

They are offensive linemen Jacob Ruby, Sukh Chungh and Sean McEwen, along with linebacker Byron Archambeault.

Had a look at Matt LaCosse. 6-6, 250lbs with legitimate 4.6 40 time that shows on tape. Wasn't heavily used by Illinois but has 38 catches in 2 years. Raw & needs to add strength but looks intriguing.

Some guy and reddit put up photos of Eli from the HoF game last preseason. This was put up not long after... :pac:

OYaZca9.jpg

Apparently, Steelers had traded up to 33 in the Draft to take Collins, only for us to outbid their deal.

Not sure how accurate that is, but I've read it a few times recently.

• Advertisement

Apparently, Steelers had traded up to 33 in the Draft to take Collins, only for us to outbid their deal.

Not sure how accurate that is, but I've read it a few times recently.

From all reports Collins hasn't looked good in camp so far. Very vocal but I think it'll be hard for him to shake off the box safety tag if the reports are anything to go by. Still plenty of time to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Beckham Jr is the new madden cover star
    (don't say it)

He'll appear on the cover of the 2016 game

Beckham Jr is the new madden cover star
    (don't say it)

He'll appear on the cover of the 2016 game

Ah well, least we got 1 great year out of him. Wonder what injury he'll pick up

Pretty insane that a player who was a Rookie only last season, and 3rd receiver off the board, is on the cover of Madden.

He's had some rapid rise to stardom!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

that catch tho!!!! As much as he is a good player its just made him a star!!

I don't know how he got on the cover as numerous Giants forums had started campaigns to vote against him. He is insanely popular at the minute though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

that catch tho!!!! As much as he is a good player its just made him a star!!

ya i think the catch has made people underestimate how good a route runner he is i think he's a better route runner than he is a catcher of the ball and thats saying something
    glued wrote: »
    I don't know how he got on the cover as numerous Giants forums had started campaigns to vote against him. He is insanely popular at the minute though.

i think every team does that to be fair i know at least one eagles forum started one to vote for him :D

Will Beatty is out for 5-6 months.

glued wrote: »
    Will Beatty is out for 5-6 months.

Christ :eek:

Baptism of fire for Flowers here...

But Jesus, just as we started to shape our OL.

i've never been the biggest fan of beatme but this loss will be huge

reckon we will see Pugh LT Flowers RT tough

• Advertisement

Its a colossal loss, I'm gutted. Will have a domino effect on the line, an OL line that can't run the ball, and no will be under serious pressure in the passing game.

Wonder will Jake Long get a call, or are his knees completely shot?

Long is mulling over retirement

Beatty is a huge loss, real shame that the injury bug is carrying over from last year.

Flowers is not ready for LT imo so it's very risky putting him there. The obvious move is Pugh to LT but Schwartz could get consideration there as well.

In terms of available free agents then maybe Anthony Collins at OT & Justin Blalock at OG are the top 2 to consider.

Sweet Lord

KG reckon we should have Flowers at RT, Pugh at G and the great John Jerry as LT

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sweet Lord

KG reckon we should have Flowers at RT, Pugh at G and the great John Jerry as LT

If John Jerry is our LT for the season then we might as well have a punchbag as our QB.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Sweet Lord

That is the least likely scenario of all of our options for the o-line.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

honest to god lads i know it benefits me but its a shame to see that injury a good line and that offense could be incredible but i dont know about flowers starting day one i think he gets his body in awkward positions he's probably grand on running plays where he can just be a monster but on a pass play (which is what that offense has to be built around those receivers are terrifying) i think he can be exposed.

how do ye feel about him starting rt day one yourselves i know knex is a huge fan ?

• Advertisement

I feel he has to start RT, tbh. Too early to start him LT, as like you say, there is technique issues there and he's still raw.

Not too sure about Pugh LT then, so could be LG for him, as that's the more natural place for a RT to move to. Will also help with whatever scrub we end up with at LT, but I do think we'll have to look elsewhere for our LT now.

I'd rather not damage the long term productivity/development of Flowers by landing him LT now, and I don't think its suits Pugh with those short arms against elite speed rushers, although Pugh does have some solid technique. I can't really tell if Pugh's downfall last year was in part to do with Jerry beside him, or the injury he had before the Eagles game and then ensuing loss in confidence.

Its a sickener, tbh, as losing your LT is probably the worst position aside from QB to be depleted on offense. We'll have to see what we can muster up.

Have to see what the noises coming from the Giants are with regards to Pugh being LT, and see from there. If he is, we'll probably have: Pugh, Jerry, Richburg, Schwartz, Flowers

If not, we need a stopgap LT.

Advertisement