Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Think Jones asked for his release

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Jones didn't want to be 4th choice and not playing all the time. But two of the people above him are injured and seemingly a long way from making an impact.

I think if we beat the Redskins Thursday, we'll nearly win the division.

In the predictions thread I had the Eagles not doing so well this year, and it seems to be the case so far. You can't keep chopping away players from your offense and rely on a plug in play because you believe in your system. This isn't college.

Dallas without Romo and Dez for 6-8 weeks is massive. You can't rely on Weedon to win you games.

Hopefully we get Cruz and Beason back, and we can steady the ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Knex. wrote: »
    I think if we beat the Redskins Thursday, we'll nearly win the division.

In the predictions thread I had the Eagles not doing so well this year, and it seems to be the case so far. You can't keep chopping away players from your offense and rely on a plug in play because you believe in your system. This isn't college.

Dallas without Romo and Dez for 6-8 weeks is massive. You can't rely on Weedon to win you games.

Hopefully we get Cruz and Beason back, and we can steady the ship.

I hope you're right but these late game screw ups are terribly worrying. Nice to see OBJ have a big game after being relatively quiet Week 1.

Was Ereck Flowers ok, I saw him down hurt on RedZone at one point but didnt hear if he was back in the game. Who was playing at WR yesterday aside from Parker & OBJ?

If we lose to the Skins is it ok to call for Coughlin & Reese out??

HigginsJ wrote: »
    I hope you're right but these late game screw ups are terribly worrying. Nice to see OBJ have a big game after being relatively quiet Week 1.

Was Ereck Flowers ok, I saw him down hurt on RedZone at one point but didnt hear if he was back in the game. Who was playing at WR yesterday aside from Parker & OBJ?

If we lose to the Skins is it ok to call for Coughlin & Reese out??

Yeah, but at least we showed that we are actually up to the standard, in that we should have won both games, in all honesty. Not too far fetched to see us go and win some games now, although I am damn worried about Unga in MLB. His pass coverage is disastrous. He's often with his back to the QB, madly scurrying after the receiver over the middle, and he just gets picked off. Would McClain have been a better option? Probably.

You add a rookie safety in Collins (who I do think will be very good), and Merriweather who is average at best, and it doesn't bode well for our ability to stop Tight Ends and underneath routes etc. I'm glad we don't play the Pats for a while, as honestly, Brady with Gronk and Edelman would destroy us right now. We'd be blown out.

Flowers sprained his ankle and yet kept training all week, much to Coughlins admiration, but I can't help wonder if the old school mentality is what saw him leave the game yesterday. If he had sat and rested, would he be fit now?

Have to wait to see how he is, but I imagine he'll be fine. This Thursday night might be a little too soon for him, but I'd wager he'll start.

If we lose to Redskins, without Jackson and with Cousins at QB, then yeah, I very much think that calls for Reese and TC will be justified, unfortunately. The Dallas game alone would have a normal coaches' position untenable, nearly.

• Advertisement

We've the Bills in week four. I know they lost yesterday but they still racked up a lot of points. I don't see us getting anything there.

Thursday is a must - to clear the heads of the players if nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Parker was just released

I feel sorry for him as he has contributed more than Randle this year and it kinda feels like he has been scapegoated to a degree but if this means we're bringing in a receiver who can catch and who will take attention away from Beckham & Vereen then I'm all for it.

EDIT - signing a DL instead - Ellis who used to be with the Jets. Hopefully that means Cruz is close.

We had Ellis with us till about two weeks ago, so he can hopefully contribute quickly. I thought he was going to start for us, in all honesty.

Parker was atrocious for us in the first two games. He did well as a returner last season, but we certainly don't need him for that now.

Hopefully Cruz is back soon and Geremy Davis can step up too.

What is they story with the WR we signed from Dallas for pretty big money in the offseason, is he getting any WR snaps or just returning punts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

What is they story with the WR we signed from Dallas for pretty big money in the offseason, is he getting any WR snaps or just returning punts?

He lined up as a WR a couple of times but he wasn't targeted once. Randle wasn't creating any separation either. ODB went missing in the second half and that basically destroyed our offence.

He has single handily changed our Special Teams from chronic to actually quite good, in all honesty. Excellent gunner as well as returner.

Couple of packages he's in on offense, but I'd say he'll get more snaps now Parker is ditched.

DRC and flowers are out tomorrow night

Ballllllllllllllls.

Hopefully Beason can last on his comeback.

Anyone staying up for the game??

Catching the condensed version on GP now. Manning looks on point, I have to say. He's rifling the ball into tight windows at times. OL holding up very well in pass coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Just don't get too upset when they pass on that last 3rd down. I nearly threw myself off the balcony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Gonna watch it on game pass later. We're we the better team or just the least worst?

wawaman wrote: »
    Gonna watch it on game pass later. We're we the better team or just the least worst?

Hard to tell quickly watching the condensed version, but we did look like we were easily the better team before the fourth quarter.

Shut down the leading rushing attack, handily. And the majority of their offensive scores and yards were in garbage time.

I'm sure we still have a lot of issues, but at least its an improvement.

Some points I took from the game:

Our defence just seems to shut down in the 4th quarter three games in a row. Can't stop 4th and long.

Cruz needs to come back at 100% to help this offence.

The OL was good at protecting Eli but were poor rushing. They didn't create any space.

We badly need a tight end. Donnell just isn't going to cut it as a starting tight end in the league.

We also badly need JPP back which doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon

• Advertisement

Just watched it. It was bloody heart-stopping going into the final quarter when I paused the game and realised the broadcast version still had another hour to go! We can never do things the easy way.

We'd look so much better with a proper running attack. Good to see Randle back as a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Watched the game live last night and I have to say, the Giants pass rush is really bad, isn't it? If even a half-decent QB had been given that amount of time I think the Giants could have been in much more trouble. Certainly a far cry from that fearsome Unimenyora/JPP duo.

Paully D wrote: »
    Watched the game live last night and I have to say, the Giants pass rush is really bad, isn't it? If even a half-decent QB had been given that amount of time I think the Giants could have been in much more trouble. Certainly a far cry from that fearsome Unimenyora/JPP duo.

Yeah, its worryingly bad. We did get some pressure against the Falcons, but literally not a sniff against Dallas.

People were saying about how great Cowboys line is, but they were 26th in pass protection last year, and we didn't once get a hurry on Romo, hardly.

We need JPP, but obviously we can't bank on that, so its gonna be god damn tough to beat the big teams.

Promising that we did well overall against Dallas and Atlanta, and should be now 3-0, but you don't get far with literally no pass rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah, its worryingly bad. We did get some pressure against the Falcons, but literally not a sniff against Dallas.

People were saying about how great Cowboys line is, but they were 26th in pass protection last year, and we didn't once get a hurry on Romo, hardly.

We need JPP, but obviously we can't bank on that, so its gonna be god damn tough to beat the big teams.

Promising that we did well overall against Dallas and Atlanta, and should be now 3-0, but you don't get far with literally no pass rush.

Robert Ayers was missing last night which didn't help the pass rush. I thought the D-Tackles did ok.

Perhaps history can lend a bit of optimism as the last time the Giants went 0-2 and beat the Redskins in week 3 this happened:
    Super-Bowl-XLII-New-York-Giants-vs-New-England-Patriots-in-Glendale-Arizona_2.jpg

Watched the game in its entirety last night (1st chance to see us properly this year).

Hard to be overly impressed. Frankly it looked like a 5 or 6 win team beating a 3 or 4 win team. Our redzone offense is just awful. How can we make so many trips & come away with nothing. I know we are down Beatty & Flowers but the running game is very mediocre as well. Eli had a good night, even balance of good & bad fortune on his passes for me. I'd have liked to see us take a few more shots down field early as we had some really good success the few times we went long.

The D is a huge worry, as PaullyD says if there was an average QB against us we'd have been torn apart (How Cousins is ahead of RGIII is hard to comprehend). I know there are lots of young parts but we were very lucky. Was my 1st chance to see Landon Collins & I was pretty disappointed. I know coverage is not his strong suit but on another night Jordan Reed could have had him for over 100 yards & a few scores. Kennard & Wynn did impress me but I was a bit disappointed by Big Hank. He did not flash like he used to last year. We had 0 pass rush which is a worry & if Phil Simms is right then we shouldn't expect to see JPP riding to the rescue anytime soon.

I think they just needed a win in that situation. They were never going to go out and look like a Super Bowl winning side after what had happened the previous two weeks. FWIW I thought we played a lot better against the Falcons.

I think we saw the third and fourth ranked teams in the NFC East on Thursday but who knows.

I think we'll know an awful lot more next week against the Bills.

Few key players back, and against a very good team. I'm looking forward to it, and dreading it, in equal measures.

I came on to post the same.. Some nice match ups on both sides of the ball so I think it'll be a very interesting game next week

• Advertisement

Hakeem Nicks and Wes Welker working out for us today

Advertisement