Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Beefy78 wrote: »
    They were just bad plays. There's no more to it than that.

Whats the saying, you either coach it or let it happen neither is acceptable.

JPP has come out saying he wants to be paid what he deserves. He has said as well that he will not sign a franchise tag. What would you guys look at in terms of a deal that you would be happy with?

He ain't getting a Vernon type deal (I doubt we have the money to be honest). If he wanted more than a 3 year $45 million deal I'd let him go. He could get a monster deal somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

3 years, 40m, would be about the threshold I would think. Can't see Reese giving up anymore than that anyway, not when you consider the other contracts coming up. Pugh, Richburg, and OBJ have to be kept.

I can see Hankins leaving, unfortunately.

Reuben Randle has signed on with the Bears. Such a waste of talent, was pretty surprised when he couldn't stick with the Eagles last year.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Reuben Randle has signed on with the Bears. Such a waste of talent, was pretty surprised when he couldn't stick with the Eagles last year.

I think his tendinitis in his knees took a lot from him. Eagles have nearly the worst WRs in the league, aside from 49ers, so you have to be brutal to not make that roster.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    I think his tendinitis in his knees took a lot from him. Eagles have nearly the worst WRs in the league, aside from 49ers, so you have to be brutal to not make that roster.

Yea, my thoughts exactly. I wasn't aware of the tendinitis in the knee, I just assumed it was mental screw ups that kept the Eagles from being interested in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think the tendinitis is overblown. People were using it as an excuse when he was missing in the first three games of 2015. I just don't think he's very good - he produced good numbers but he just looked so half arsed all the time. There wasn't any suggestion in the summer that it was an injury that caused the Eagles to cut him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

Is Beckham mentally weak?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Rainman16 wrote: »

I tell you one thing that wont help OBJ is Reese calling him out in his press conference. Does OBJ need to grow up? Yes. Why throw him under the bus like that? The Giants have had 3 seasons, especially from the Panthers game last season to speak to OBJ and tell him what they expect of him in private

I think the tendinitis is overblown. People were using it as an excuse when he was missing in the first three games of 2015. I just don't think he's very good - he produced good numbers but he just looked so half arsed all the time. There wasn't any suggestion in the summer that it was an injury that caused the Eagles to cut him.

I actually don't think he was ever able to get a full week of practice in his final two years because of the knees.

I don't believe that tendinitis can be cured either, just managed (Could be wrong there). Still, I don't think its the sole reason he failed or anything, as there were complaints leveled against him about his ability to learn the playbook in his first two years anyway, and he certainly didn't have the same drive as OBJ or even Shepard and Cruz, so its probably much of a muchness.

• Advertisement

Rainman16 wrote: »

No, the guy had a bad game. He tore it up from week 5 onwards. He struggles to control his emotions but you could say the same thing about the likes of Chad & TO in their day.

I thought his post game interview was very good, saying there is no correlation between the boat (party, which there is no evidence of) and the drops on Sunday.

OBJ put himself in the spot light & people love to take shots at him as its easy. The guy is well on his way to the HOF aleady, not too many mentally weak players in there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

No, the guy had a bad game. He tore it up from week 5 onwards. He struggles to control his emotions but you could say the same thing about the likes of Chad & TO in their day.

I thought his post game interview was very good, saying there is no correlation between the boat (party, which there is no evidence of) and the drops on Sunday.

OBJ put himself in the spot light & people love to take shots at him as its easy. The guy is well on his way to the HOF aleady, not too many mentally weak players in there.
    I think the controversy surrounding the boat trip did have an impact on the mental state of the Giants receivers. Beckham as the talisman was subject to more criticism. Personally I think Victor Cruz has more responsibility, as an experienced professional and Superbowl Champion, He should have been the voice of maturity.

It's also interesting that the 2 receivers who didn't go to Miami, had the best performances last Sunday

Just looking at some recent mock drafts around the web

Todd McShay - Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB, UCLA |
    USA Today - David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.) |
    Draftsite.com - Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan |
    Drafttek.com - Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan |
    Matt Miller - Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee |
    Walterfootball.com - DeShaun Watson, QB, Clemson |
    Daniel Jeremiah - Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC |

Not a surprise to see people thinking DE being high on the need but taking a QB in the 1st would be very interesting, from my view it is a move I would definitely support.

No way can I see us taking a QB, it would be basically wasting a 1st round pick. Eli is around for a few years yet, if nassib goes, then get a veteran in as backup

wawaman wrote: »
    No way can I see us taking a QB, it would be basically wasting a 1st round pick. Eli is around for a few years yet, if nassib goes, then get a veteran in as backup

How many more years? He is 36 & looks to be declyining before our eyes. Nassib was an utter waste of 2 draft picks 4 years ago, but clearly there was some thought to invest in the future.

It could be worth investing at least a 2nd rounder in a QB. If Trubisky or Watson happened to be available (they wont By The Way) it would be a very interesting decision in the 1st, same for Pat Mahomes in the 2nd

How many more years? He is 36 & looks to be declyining before our eyes. Nassib was an utter waste of 2 draft picks 4 years ago, but clearly there was some thought to invest in the future.

It could be worth investing at least a 2nd rounder in a QB. If Trubisky or Watson happened to be available (they wont By The Way) it would be a very interesting decision in the 1st, same for Pat Mahomes in the 2nd

I think we either take someone for the OL in the first or the TE from Alabama if he is somehow still there. Give Eli more protection, if next week its the same story then think seriously about a QB next year

wawaman wrote: »
    I think we either take someone for the OL in the first or the TE from Alabama if he is somehow still there. Give Eli more protection, if next week its the same story then think seriously about a QB next year

Sadly from everything I have read to date, there is no one on the O-Line worth taking. Seems to be a few TE's worth looking at, I think OJ Howard (Alabama) has the makings of something special but Njoku (TE Miami) is apparently very good as well (Know little about him, must look into him)

I don't really fancy taking any QB in the first or 2nd, tbh. I just don't think the value is there when you compare our 1st/2nd round picks over the past few years.

Not really seeing a whole lot to love on the OL front either, so who knows there. I think our mock drafts will start changing dramatically once we find out the situation with JPP & Hankins, tbh.

Would love to know as well what the franchise think of Paul Perkins. Do they believe him to be the bell cow going forward, or are they willing to draft another RB as well.

Also, there's talk on the Giants preferring Gerald Everett over OJ Howard at tight end. Not sure if Everett is more a 2nd rounder though, which would free up the 1st round for OL/DE or whatever.

Knex. wrote: »
    I don't really fancy taking any QB in the first or 2nd, tbh. I just don't think the value is there when you compare our 1st/2nd round picks over the past few years.

Not really seeing a whole lot to love on the OL front either, so who knows there. I think our mock drafts will start changing dramatically once we find out the situation with JPP & Hankins, tbh.

Would love to know as well what the franchise think of Paul Perkins. Do they believe him to be the bell cow going forward, or are they willing to draft another RB as well.

Also, there's talk on the Giants preferring Gerald Everett over OJ Howard at tight end. Not sure if Everett is more a 2nd rounder though, which would free up the 1st round for OL/DE or whatever.

In terms of RB, you'd surely have to give Perkins the chance to start next year. Maybe add some veteran back up or a late round pick, definitely nothing earlier than the 5th round if they wanted to take an RB. I have a serious love of Christian McCaffrey but taking him in the 1st would be a hard sell with other needs.

I agree with you on the JPP/Hank situation and how that will affect the draft and FA. A few of the drafts I read had the assumption that Hankins was back and JPP was gone, something I think is the most likely scenario.

If we're utterly, utterly convinced that our Aaron Rodgers is there on the board when we're picking in the first round then I'm not opposed to it but that apart it's a year too soon to be spending a pick on that position, IMO. Eli has two more seasons before moving on becomes even a possibility financially and we've got so many positions to fix still.

I'd like to see a big bodied running back in the later rounds. Someone in the style of Rawls in Seattle who went undrafted two years ago. I think we draft someone to replace whichever of JPP/Hanks doesn't get re-signed and then go heavy on offense where we need upgrades in pretty much every position.

• Advertisement

In terms of RB, you'd surely have to give Perkins the chance to start next year. Maybe add some veteran back up or a late round pick, definitely nothing earlier than the 5th round if they wanted to take an RB. I have a serious love of Christian McCaffrey but taking him in the 1st would be a hard sell with other needs.

I agree with you on the JPP/Hank situation and how that will affect the draft and FA. A few of the drafts I read had the assumption that Hankins was back and JPP was gone, something I think is the most likely scenario.

Yeah, don't see how we keep JPP tbh. Hank is younger, cheaper, and solidifies that run D with Snacks.

I could be underestimating Hankins but I'm sure we can get someone who does that job for less money and maybe even adds more pass-rush.

I could be underestimating Hankins but I'm sure we can get someone who does that job for less money and maybe even adds more pass-rush.

Hank is a 6"2, 320lb DT, he offers about as good as a pass rush as you are ever going to get. Him & Snacks are formidable on the inside, if it is a choice of JPP or Hank (& you have to assume it will be an either or situation) then I would want Hank back.

I'd take JPP. He's going to cost a lot but premium pass-rushers will cost a lot unfortunately.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 272 ✭✭Stars and Stripes

Just looking at some recent mock drafts around the web

Todd McShay - Takkarist McKinley, DE/OLB, UCLA |
    USA Today - David Njoku, TE, Miami (Fla.) |
    Draftsite.com - Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan |
    Drafttek.com - Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan |
    Matt Miller - Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee |
    Walterfootball.com - DeShaun Watson, QB, Clemson |
    Daniel Jeremiah - Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC |

Not a surprise to see people thinking DE being high on the need but taking a QB in the 1st would be very interesting, from my view it is a move I would definitely support.
    With Ryan Nassib’s impending free agency they better make the right choice here, but Watson this year saw his stock fall as he failed to take the next step from his fantastic 2015 season.

Victor Cruz released

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Jennings just released also

Obvious moves to be fair, Cruz saves us $7.5 million & Jennings saves us $2.5 million.

Sad to see Cruz go, how would things have been if a prime Cruz & Odell had been together, may well have been the best WR duo in football. The shame of what if's!!

Jennings is no loss, at his best he was serviceable but he'd never have been mistaken as a top 15 back.

CRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZ

• Advertisement

Larry donnell out the door aswell

Advertisement