Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Benny with the good hair was at Pat Mahomes pro day today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Apparently Kevin Poston, Hankin's agent, is the problem. He's looking for $10M a year. Good luck getting that considering Snacks was getting double teamed all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

At this point he should be looking for that 1 year prove it deal & try again next.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

NFL Draft: Third round has been a black hole for New York Giants

Reese’s third-round batting average is not good

http://www.bigblueview.com/2017/4/4/15176138/nfl-draft-third-round-has-been-a-black-hole-for-new-york-giants-barden-beckum-odighizuwa

Makes for sad reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    NFL Draft: Third round has been a black hole for New York Giants

Reese’s third-round batting average is not good

http://www.bigblueview.com/2017/4/4/15176138/nfl-draft-third-round-has-been-a-black-hole-for-new-york-giants-barden-beckum-odighizuwa

Makes for sad reading

Funnily enough, when I saw the news on Odighizuwa yesterday, this was exactly what I was thinking. I was going to check but as they state, it doesn't make for very good reading.

Still have hopes for Thompson though.

So Jonathan Hankins is still a free agent and apparently his agents are likely a root cause of this. He is represented by a pair of brothers, the Poston's, and they are well known apparently with-in the NFL as being completely out of touch. They apparently had a large client base as one point but have lost most of it, they were fired by Orlando Pace back in '04 when he was trying to get a deal with the Rams and one of them was suspended for 2 years by the NFLPA for negligence when they basically cost one of their clients $6.5 million dollars.

I hope Hankins is able to see sense and we can get a deal done with him, I rate him very highly but even if you think he is just an above average DT, he is still only 24, the guy should not be a free agent at this point.

Hankins wanted 15m a year. Giants offer on the table is 4 years, 28m.

I think 4 years 32m is about the max he should get, but 60m is just lol.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/12/heres-the-deal-the-giants-are-offering-johnathan-hankins/
    A source said the first contract sought from Hankins’ camp was for $15 million per year, a ridiculous demand that quickly dropped to $10 million per year — more on average than the five-year, $46.25 million deal Damon “Snacks’’ Harrison got from the Giants a year ago. Harrison is considered the best run-stopping defensive tackle in the league. The Giants value Hankins and see him as a bona fide starter, but they do not view him as a difference-maker in the mold of Harrison.

Right so Odell got a tattoo of Michael Jackson on his leg.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSwkzQKjR4j/?taken-by=obj

Right then. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Hankins just signed for the Colts

3 year deal with 14.5 guaranteed

• Advertisement

Pity but you can't keep everyone

It's a shame that a couple of our best draft picks in recent years, Hankins & Joseph didnt stay with the team long term. I know Snacks is great but if you aim to "Build through the draft" then we need to be looking at retaining guys like this.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    It's a shame that a couple of our best draft picks in recent years, Hankins & Joseph didnt stay with the team long term. I know Snacks is great but if you aim to "Build through the draft" then we need to be looking at retaining guys like this.

Hankins chose money and who can blame him. He's certainly not worth near $10M a year when you consider the level of production we get from Snacks. We can't afford to keep guys like him that eat more cap than they are worth.

Looks like we'll have to draft a lineman. Reese has a good record with high pick tackles so we'll see what happens in the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Hankins chose money and who can blame him. He's certainly not worth near $10M a year when you consider the level of production we get from Snacks. We can't afford to keep guys like him that eat more cap than they are worth.

Colts fan, how do ye guys rate him? Im a little taken a back by this, we need an NT, but 10mil a year is quite alot. He is 25 though, theres probably a good bit of upside, would you think,

letowski wrote: »
    Colts fan, how do ye guys rate him? Im a little taken a back by this, we need an NT, but 10mil a year is quite alot. He is 25 though, theres probably a good bit of upside, would you think,

Ideally we need a real 3 tech beside Snacks and that's not Hankins but that's not to say he was poor, he was quite effective considering he's playing out of position. You'll be playing him in his best position so I can imagine you'll see a more productive Hankins next season. Before Snacks, Hankins played really well as a NT for the Giants.

I think it shows how much our staff liked him considering he got offered $8M a year from us.

We would have liked to keep him but not at that price tag seems to be the concensus on Giants boards, bigblueview etc

Ah Christ. Our schedule

Play four teams coming off a bye:

Week 6 Broncos off bye
    Week 7 Seahawks off bye
    Week 9 Rams off bye
    Week 11 Chiefs off bye

And also, The Giants have a net total of -22 days of rest between their previous game compared to opponents. Next harshest is DET with -12.

Rough.

Tweets about it here

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I know the Schedule isn't the toughest compared to others around the league but something about it when I look through just seems unforgiving!

I'm determined to get to a game this year. Currently deciding between Seattle at home and Tampa away.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I know the Schedule isn't the toughest compared to others around the league but something about it when I look through just seems unforgiving!

I'm determined to get to a game this year. Currently deciding between Seattle at home and Tampa away.

I'm thinking of getting to a game too but I'm not sure which one yet. Tampa away seems the most appealing as the weather is still quite decent in October. Although I'd love to get to a Giants tailgate.

That's pretty much my train of thought too. There's something about that Tampa game which really appeals and it's easy enough to get to. I've never been to Metlife though...

• Advertisement

Gun to head time.. You're realistic choice that you want to see the Giants take at 23?

I think if forced, I'd go with Zach Cunningham.

There's a temptation to say one of the Tight Ends that may still be on the board here, such as Njoku or Engram, but I think that class is so deep you can get a solid starter in the later rounds still e.g Kittle or Butt.

Not that I expect him to be there but Christian McCaffery would be my dream pick. Looks perfect for what the Giants want to be. If he makes it past the Eagles at 14 I'd be in favour of moving up to get him.

I'll believe that we take a LB in the 1st when it actually happens. You know Reese puts no stock in them and we are probably in the best position we have been at LB since Antonio Pierce retired.

Christian McCaffrey would be a dream, I would be all for going up getting him if he went past the Eagles but I doubt he makes it out of the top 10 to be honest.

O-Line would make sense but all reports are that those early o-linemen are nothing to write home about, although Cam Robinson looks the part.

Tight-end wouldn't be a bad shout but like Knex I think that you can get a quality TE a little later.

With Hankins gone I would maybe look at some d-line help. Malik McDowell is a DT out of Michigan, he has high 1st round skills but there are concerns about his work ethic. You'd imagine with Harrison, Vernon, JPP & Collins we wouldn't lack for positive influences on D.

I wouldn't say no to QB if one of the top guys dropped, DeShaun Watson. As long as we don't take Davis Webb at any point I'll be happy.

So my top 3 choices would be

1. Christian McCaffrey
    2. Malik McDowell
    3. Cam Robinson

I'd actually be really annoyed if we moved up from 23 to 15 to take him. I don't think we can afford to give away draft picks for that big a move when there's definitely talent available that will fall to us regardless.

If he's there at 23, fine, but I'm dead against trading up unless its just moving up a couple of spots for something that isn't too costly.

On QBs, I agree on the Webb sentiment. I also want absolutely no part of Kizer. His arrogance would have him murdered in the NY media.

Knex. wrote: »
    I'd actually be really annoyed if we moved up from 23 to 15 to take him. I don't think we can afford to give away draft picks for that big a move when there's definitely talent available that will fall to us regardless.

If he's there at 23, fine, but I'm dead against trading up unless its just moving up a couple of spots for something that isn't too costly. .

I'd normally agree with you but we are not that far away from contending. It would take a 3rd and 5th to get from 23 to 15, might even get back a 6th or 7th.

For McCaffrey, hell yea it would be worth it. Again, knowing Reese we are moving nowhere.

I'd normally agree with you but we are not that far away from contending. It would take a 3rd and 5th to get from 23 to 15, might even get back a 6th or 7th.

For McCaffrey, hell yea it would be worth it. Again, knowing Reese we are moving nowhere.

Good point on the contending front, yeah. The window with Eli is definitely closing, and I suppose Reese hasn't exactly been nailing his mid to late round picks in recent times either... So you know, I'm perhaps not as against it now as I was 5 mins ago :pac:

Our hit rate in the 3rd round is really low. I'd have no problem with losing a third and maybe something in 2018 to take a talent like McCaffery. The same is true to an extent for OJ Howard although again I wouldn't expect him to fall far enough for it to be feasible.

For QB's I like the sound of the guy out of Pitt but he's getting a lot of press so I'm not sure if he'll be there still when we pick in the third round. Also read a lot about Chad Kelly and the issues that he's had - he seems like he has a lot of upside if he's still there in the fifth and then you've got a couple of years to see how his fitness and attitude are before having to make a decision on Eli.

I'll believe that we take a LB in the 1st when it actually happens. You know Reese puts no stock in them and we are probably in the best position we have been at LB since Antonio Pierce retired.

We're in a good position in terms of starters however I think I'm right in saying that only BJ Goodson of the current roster is contracted for 2018, and Goodson doesn't have a career start yet. I'd expect at least one player to be drafted there.0

The more I think about it the more worried I get about things after this season coming, what with the contracts that will be up on the OL and the lack of any linebackers on the roster coupled with what you'd have to assume will be a decline from the likes of Eli and Marshall plus the loss of DRC I wonder if our window really is just this season coming.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Our hit rate in the 3rd round is really low. I'd have no problem with losing a third and maybe something in 2018 to take a talent like McCaffery. The same is true to an extent for OJ Howard although again I wouldn't expect him to fall far enough for it to be feasible.

For QB's I like the sound of the guy out of Pitt but he's getting a lot of press so I'm not sure if he'll be there still when we pick in the third round. Also read a lot about Chad Kelly and the issues that he's had - he seems like he has a lot of upside if he's still there in the fifth and then you've got a couple of years to see how his fitness and attitude are before having to make a decision on Eli.

Chad Kelly will make Johnny Football look like a saint!!! Chad in NYC will not end well :eek: Peterman is the kid you are talking about from Pitt. I've seen a few mocks with him in the 2nd at the moment, won't/shouldn't happen.

Not sure who said it over on the other thread but Brad Kaaya would be a good pick I'd say. Highly touted this time last year, needs some work but has all the tools you want.

If Eli went down this year (or was suspended) you'd have to imagine that Geno would be the starter, even if we picked a QB in the 1st 2 rounds.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Kaaya is the one I'm most impressed with, relative to the value of where he's projected to be mocked.

3rd/4th round, I'd be happy to pull the trigger. He's very clued in as well. Came across fairly legit on Gruden's camp, although that's almost a given for most QBs on there.

Advertisement