Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

What a stupid thing to get done for when he's fighting for his roster spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

By the sounds of things it doesn't look too good, pity as he has the makings of a decent WR but it is one spot that we are seriously deep at.

OBJ, Marshall and Sheppard are locked in as starters & Dwayne Harris is going nowhere due to his special teams value. Realistically that leaves 2 spots open, just makes the battle harder for him.

Think that's the end of Lewis somehow

Teams will forgive important players but not bottom of the 53 type players

Big talk about Odell Beckham Jrs contract

Odell Beckham Jr. skipped OTAs to show desire for new contract

Odell Beckham Jr.'s absence from the New York Giants' organized team activities is directly related to the wide receiver's desire for a new contract, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Beckham has been one of several Giants players who have missed the voluntary offseason workouts over the past few weeks. He does not have a financial bonus tied to attending the workouts this offseason.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19567136/odell-beckham-jr-new-york-giants-skipped-otas-show-desire-new-contract

Odell Beckham Skipping OTAs Over Money — Schefter
    370 NEW, 391
    Should the Giants give him a new deal now, or make him wait?

Beckham Tuesday re-tweeted a radio interview Schefter did in which he said this:

“If I were Odell Beckham Jr., or I were advising Odell Beckham Jr., I would not show up at an OTA, I would not show up at a mandatory mini-camp, I would not show up at a training camp, I would not show up at anything until that contract, which finally can be adjusted for the first time, were made to reflect his value to this team, this organization, the type of player he is in this league.”
    That’s pretty strong stuff from Schefter, a guy who doesn’t represent players and is paid to report news, not make it.

http://www.bigblueview.com/2017/6/7/15752214/ny-giants-rumors-news-odell-beckham-contract-otas-holdout-adam-schefter

Phil Simms On Odell Beckham: Pay The Man ... Now

Former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms said Wednesday on Sirius XM NFL Radio that the New York Giants should forget protocol with Odell Beckham Jr. and “make Odell happy” by giving him a rich contract extention now.

“If you’re the Giant … I would make Odell happy. I would probably go ahead and break the rule and succumb to it and try to come up with some contract agreement so you can move on. And Odell Beckham Jr. really has a chance to become part of the Giants’, whatever you want to say, greatest players. And to do that he’s got to be a team player and they’ve got to win. And they need to start this year.”

http://www.bigblueview.com/2017/6/7/15758572/ny-giants-rumors-news-odell-beckham-phil-simms-sirius-xm-nfl-radio

I doubt the Giants will redo his contract now as that could set a precedent

• Advertisement

There's an argument for re-doing it as the cap goes up and up and so by doing it now you probably pay him less than you would if you leave it two years. That said with the contracts that are due next year it's asking a huge amount for Beckham to insist that money be somehow found to pay him early.

The bigger issue here is the CBA - it's only natural that players of extreme importance like Aaron Donald and Odell Beckham, playing in a league in which one injury can end your career, want to be paid at a level that reflects their value to their team, as quickly as possible. Rookie contracts should be three years long, IMO, and use of the franchise tag massively restricted so that a player is recompensed for his production after two years in most cases.

That's a difficult one as it means that if you hit on your draft picks you will likely lose them after 3 years

OBJ is due to make $3.3 million this year, I'm sorry no excuses, no nonsense, pay the man and move on. They can work out the cap details, pay him a massive signing bonus, make it fully guaranteed, whatever it takes.

We need him happy and in attendance.

He is the face of the franchise, make him happy.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    That's a difficult one as it means that if you hit on your draft picks you will likely lose them after 3 years

Or you pay them.

Perhaps ramp up the money that the players earn in the latter half of the rookie deal. The fifth year option actually pays out pretty well. Ultimately though there's a huge disconnect with one of the richest sports leagues having players not earn any real money until they've been playing four years when the average career is 18 motnhs less than that.

On the other hand Beckham is going to earn $3m this year, $8m next year if they keep him under the fifth year option and $10m+ the year after under the tag. I've sympathy for him as possibly the biggest name in the Sport but he's not going to be poor.

I feel more sorry for running backs in particular who get run into the ground for their rookie contract and the few that make it to a second deal then get past over for a new cheap rookie.

Even if Odell gets an injury he'll likely get paid somewhere.

• Advertisement

Odell will get paid at some point

Big difference between $3m and the $15m (minimum) he would want in any new deal

No doubt the rookie wage scale will go up in the next CBA. Prob a better system overall than giving the likes of Sam Bradford $55m without playing a down

Still can understand why it's frustrating for the likes of Donald or OBJ

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Heath Evans on NFL total access last night seems to be going against the grain about paying OBJ. He was saying there are issues off the field that he feels need to be addressed.

I kind of agree to a point. I mean the head bottlewasher of the New York Giants has said OBJ needs to address those.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,016 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Odell will get paid at some point

Big difference between $3m and the $15m (minimum) he would want in any new deal

No doubt the rookie wage scale will go up in the next CBA. Prob a better system overall than giving the likes of Sam Bradford $55m without playing a down

Still can understand why it's frustrating for the likes of Donald or OBJ

And the new CBA can be thanked for that.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Heath Evans on NFL total access last night seems to be going against the grain about paying OBJ. He was saying there are issues off the field that he feels need to be addressed.

I kind of agree to a point. I mean the head bottlewasher of the New York Giants has said OBJ needs to address those.

3 season - 288 receptions - 4,122 yards - 35 tds

Pay Da Man :P

Hard to say for sure at this stage but reading all the OTA reports and looking specifically at the QB position it sounds like Josh Johnson will beat out Geno Smith for the back up role. Davis Webb sounds to be doing OK but will be 3rd string, I doubt we would be able to sneak him through to the practise squad so he will need to remain on the roster & likely bye bye Geno.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think the issue with Geno is that he's still limited from the injury, so he hasn't really had a fair shot yet. You could well be right though. There are a lot of positive noises around Johnson at the moment.

And on OBJ. I love watching him play, but I would understand a business decision that saw him leave if it means keeping Pugh, Richburg, Collins etc. I value those positions higher than WR, even if the player is transcendent.

Hopefully we have enough cap space to keep them all on the roster, though. Might even make more sense to get Odell done now, as it may well work out cheaper for the Giants long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sam_Doyle

Can't wait to see a new team

Something to watch to help fill the void

Shep carted off during practice

Early indications is it's an ankle injury

Really hope it's not serious

• Advertisement

Early for Giants WR Sterling Shepard but the team is hopeful it's just a bad roll of his ankle. Stay tuned.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) August 2, 2017

Josh Johnson and Geno Smith split reps when Eli wasn't in yesterday. Interestingly Davis Webb didn't get any snaps. Odd situation that but I guess the team want to figure out who the back up will be and worry about Webb later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Josh Johnson and Geno Smith split reps when Eli wasn't in yesterday. Interestingly Davis Webb didn't get any snaps. Odd situation that but I guess the team want to figure out who the back up will be and worry about Webb later on.

Webb is a clear project which is good. They need to determine who the back up is and this will be the #2 QB for the season. No way we would want Webb as the #2 and a snap away from having to perform. Remember he has never taken snaps from under center, read Defenses etc. He needs to learn.

Yeah I wouldn't expect Webb to get much game time during the pre-season. Maybe a bit of the fourth game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Sheps MRI came back clear so he should be fine

Good news. Don't rush him back

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, Giants Defence looks good. Offense looks bad.

OBJ took a vicious hit and people feared the worst, but its believed now to be just an ankle sprain. Will have to catch up on the game later as I only know what I've read in articles so far.

I saw it this morning, you're not missing much if you skip it. The hit wasn't that bad - it was above the knees but he'd started to plant his leg. It was legal. The OL still looks terrible, Eli missed some throws and looked rusty, Perkins got stuffed constantly (Gallman looked good late on though).

The Defense looks predictably awesome. Goodson got his second sack in two games.

Geno didn't play at all well. I'm beginning to wonder if, with difficult cuts that will need to be made in certain positions, they end up giving the backup job to Webb and cutting both Smith & Johnson. I know that wasn't the plan but both look terrible right now.

• Advertisement

Gruden was waxing lyrical about the OV/JPP combo. He thinks they're the best DE-tandem in the League. Both played well - JPP got a pick off of an OV finger-tip on an Osweiler pass and OV had one awesome play where he covered David Njoku 30 yards downfield on the sideline and defended the pass.

The contrast in the defensive looks and play-calling vs the offensive looks and play-calling is a stark one.

Advertisement