Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Giants Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Good that OBJ injury doesn't seem too bad or Marshalls

Worrying that our run game is shambolic

Without a decent run game teams will still double OBJ wth a safety all the time and dare us to be able to run on them

John Jerry doesn't seem to be getting the job done. Fluker may be a starter day 1

Giants' Owa Odighizuwa suspended 4 games by NFL for PEDs

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/08/giants_owa_odighizuwa_suspended_4_games_by_nfl_for.html#incart_river_index

Def doesn't help his cause to make the roster

Looks like another 3rd round pick that has not panned out

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, be shocked if he wasn't cut now. Waste of talent, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Guess it depends on how the guys named in the 53 get on. I believe they don't have to make a decision on OO until the four games are up.

It's a stacked position and he hasn't even flashed much talent so he's really not done himself any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Out the door you go young fella

• Advertisement

Being a bit more positive, I'm quite optimistic going into the season. the Defense somehow looks even better than it did before. JPP looks like a man possessed in pre-season and you can tell Landon Collins is serious when he talks about winning DPOY this year. The Offense moved the ball well against the Jets so hopefully that continues.

Travis Rudolph looks like he's got something, doesn't he? I doubt he'd clear onto the practice squad (the Jets would surely nab him after his performance on Saturday) so I wonder if he might have taken Roger Lewis or Tavarres King's spot.

I'm going for Jerell Adams as my 'surprise cut'.

That's didn't take long.. He's just being cut

That was swift but I think he would have been gone anyway even without the suspension

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I really havent had the time to pay any attention to training camp & pre season. Any big surprises? O-Line & running game still suck?

O Line looked great last night. Against the Pats 2nd and 3rd team

• Advertisement

Did Giants get it right with initial 53-man roster? | Analysis

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2017/09/did_giants_get_it_right_with_initial_53-man_roster.html#incart_river_index

Giants Sign Eight Players To Practice Squad
    Travis Rudolph not yet included’ Bisnowaty, Deayon make 10-man squad

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/9/3/16250102/ny-giants-sign-eight-players-to-practice-squad-adam-bisnowaty-donte-deayon-travis-rudolph

Happy with our roster?

I like keeping LaCosse over Tye

Interetsing that they kept Chad Wheeler over 6th round pick Adam Bisnowaty. Bisnowaty now on the Practice Squad

Shows you need to play well to keep your spot

Bis was rubbish in the pre-season games. Makes sense to put him on the PS especially as they are only keeping 8 linemen.

I'd have kept Rudolph over one of Lewis or King but the fact that he wasn't picked up by the other 31 teams suggests that maybe the Giants played that one right.

No other real issues with the selection. They obviously like LaCosse and he played well in the Pats game on Thursday which may have clinched it.

Think they have liked LaCosse for a few years but he kept getting injured in pre season

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Think they have liked LaCosse for a few years but he kept getting injured in pre season

Yea, I had read that. Really unlucky up to now it seems.

Interesting article

Giants among NFL's youngest teams thanks to draft success

This is always one of my favorite pieces of the year. Every year after rosters are trimmed to 53 my buddy Jimmy Kemski over at Philly Voice does an analysis of the average age of each team.

The results show the New York Giants continue to get younger. They were the 31st in 2014, when they were the second-oldest roster in the league. They were 25th in 2015 and moved near the middle of the pack at 14th last year.

Well, the youth movement appears to be complete now. The Giants are the ninth-youngest team in the league this season, even with a 36-year-old starting quarterback.

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall, 33, is the only addition from the past two offseasons -- and one of just five Giants overall -- who is over 30. Manning (36), long snapper Zak DeOssie (33), offensive lineman John Jerry (31), cornerback Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (31). Linebacker Jonathan Casillas is 30.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-giants/post/_/id/53485/giants-among-nfls-youngest-teams-thanks-to-draft-success

So... 2 First Downs in the 1st Half.. Jaysus this is painful to watch already.
    Eli looks asleep..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

0-16:( at HT.

Offensive game is none existent. Hard to look past Manning for blame there

Zero pass protection or ability to run the ball isn't helping. We've a shocking Offense all round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Next week against the lions looks ominous

Its hard to describe how bad we were. Switched it off at half time, but holy **** was that offense terrible. Eli looked like he was dancing on coals and the OL couldn't give him any more than two seconds to allow a play to develop. Exact same issues as the last few years, only without Odell providing quick slants and having defenses adjust for him, we really couldn't get anything at all going.

Its frightening how bad they were. Our defense are probably still all with oxygen masks. I will say though, at least the left side of the line didn't look totally horrendous. Pugh and Richburg are solid players, at a minimum, and Flowers held up. Jerry and Hart were awful last night.

• Advertisement

The drive after halftime was ok. At least they got a few things going and Eli made a couple of throws. That was about the only positive set of plays in the game. Darkwa should be starting.

Jerry's one positive in the past has been that he's been extremely solid in pass-protection but he's been blown away at times last night and in pre-season. That's a change that needs to happen.

will watch the highlights later but that is a very disappointing start to the season

Every time I yawn today I'm cursing Eli under my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

I haven't watched it yet, but it seems like the same ole same ole.

Good D - 19 points.

BJ Goodson had 14 tackels and 4 assists.

We had 35 yards rushing in the game and 233 yards total. Apparently Eli was ok, but the O line was atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭boccy23

Had a brief look at it there. The 1st and Goal from the 5 and to take a sack on 2nd down was terrible.

Interesting article esp the conclusion

All-22 Film Review: Were There Chances For Deeper Throws?
    2 NEW, 206
    Let’s see what the film says

Final Thoughts
    I can see absolutely acceptable reasons for why the ball didn’t go down the field farther on all of these plays, with the probable exception of the third one. There were two choices for big plays there, and plenty of time to throw the ball down the field.

My $.02, and this is more of a nagging thought than anything I’ve had verified by people who know more about quarterback play than I do, is this. In his younger days when the Giant offense was run by Kevin Gilbride I think Manning would have stood in there and made the deep throw, taking the shot at making the big play. Now, with McAdoo running the shots we hear constantly about the desire to find completions. I wonder if, because of the offense he is now in, Manning sometimes passes on the deep 50-50 ball in favor of an easy completion. Just a thought.

https://www.bigblueview.com/2017/9/13/16302942/ny-giants-cowboys-all-22-film-review-were-there-chances-for-deeper-throws-eli-manning

Beckham Jr back in practice today..

Urgh. What a depressing way to start a day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭wawaman

Is it possible the OL is worse than last year?

• Advertisement

wawaman wrote: »
    Is it possible the OL is worse than last year?

Yeah, I think so. But it was missing two starters last night. You could see how uncomfortable Flowers was as soon as Pugh had to kick over to RT when Hart came off, which was like the 2nd series. Still, Eli got smacked again on our very first drive, and anytime we wanted a play to develop, the line crumbled.

Switched it off after an hour or so, which was a couple of drives after our interception that immediately followed the JPP strip sack. What a kick to the teeth that was. Handed momentum right back to them and screwed our defense over once more.

The absolute refusal to run the ball is baffling. You still need to do it even if you're not making yards, or you're immediately handing the advantage to a defense by allowing them to cheat against the pass. I'm not sure if its Sullivan or McAdoo, but both of them are angling to be fired at the year's end if they don't sort this out quickly.

Advertisement