Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bike Station in The Liberties?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Apparently negotiations are now underway with JCDecaux regarding the expansion, I can't link to the SkyScraperCity thread at the moment, but its on thejournal.ie as well.

Good news, but do yo know if it is just for the expansion along the quays or also expansion out towards the likes of Drumcondra, DCU, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

bk wrote: »
    Apparently negotiations are now underway with JCDecaux regarding the expansion, I can't link to the SkyScraperCity thread at the moment, but its on thejournal.ie as well.

Good news, but do yo know if it is just for the expansion along the quays or also expansion out towards the likes of Drumcondra, DCU, etc.

Thats not clear from the article, and unfortunately I can't find it now. Andrew Montague announced it on his last day as Lord Mayor.

Finally found that article, Here it is. He expects the number of bikes to be tripled, with 30 new stations to be added, unfortunately between Heuston and The Point only for the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Finally found that article, Here it is. He expects the number of bikes to be tripled, with 30 new stations to be added, unfortunately between Heuston and The Point only for the moment.

Awesome. Any expansion is to be welcomed I think!! Even if they start expanding a station at a time I'll be happy. Come on lads get crackin:D

Awesome. Any expansion is to be welcomed I think!! Even if they start expanding a station at a time I'll be happy. Come on lads get crackin:D

Definitely, any kind of investment is rare at the moment, so this can only be welcomed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

The layout of db stations has been slightly disproportionately in favour of north-south expansion, while clear candidates for the use of the db scheme like the IFSC area were inadequately served despite also being near city centre. Dublin City Council spent much money on a segregated bicycle lane and traffic management system along Grand Canal while the db scheme has no stands along it northeast of Baggot St... Heuston Station is also a good candidate for this but that would need a denser network of stations as dealing with peak demand will have to be accounted for. Even having two stations within 100 metres of each other at heuston would probably do the trick. There also needs to be some improvement in capacity in some area in the vicinity of O'Connell Bridge to deal with demand.

On an unrelated note, why does the bike stand at Princes St (just off O'Connell St) not check bike availability at Cathal Brugha St, it being possibly the nearest station and the easiest to travel to by simply continuing up the same side of the street and then making a right turn? It's often full and it's very frustrating that the other station I'd use when going to work can't even be checked. Rant over:)

Advertisement