Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Sensors on Windows

Options
  • 20-03-2012 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Hello,

We are getting new blinds on front windows of our house but each window has inertia and contacts on the frames. The inertia sensors are on the face of the frame and are approx 2.5cm deep so I wanted to move them inside the frame next to the glass. The surface next to glass would not be flat either but they can be screwed tight.

Wondering will this cause issues with false alarms or make them over sensitive.

There is some rewiring and tacking down required but happy with that. My main concern is whether all will work OK with them moved inside the frame.

The attached image shows what I want to do so any help would be much appreciated.

Image attached > Sensor.jpg

Thanks
    Paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It will work OK & if they are fitted right they will be no more sensitive.
    However, have you considered just moving the blinds a couple of CMs away from the window insted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hi Koolkid..

Thanks a mil for the your quick response.

There is a wife involved so got to cover all angles:D Its fine on most windows re just moving it forward but we have a large bay window and we have had to over compensate a few times to get our measurements correct. The blinds have 50mm slats so each few cm eats up more window.

There is no give in the cables at all so need to work things out so that I am not having to extend cables using block connectors etc..

Appreciate the help.

Regards
    Paddy

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Thats the thing, if the cables are short you may have to put a juntion box on the front of the windows anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Think will wait for the blinds to arrive and see how all hangs. Don't honestly want to get into moving around sensors and messing with a system that thankfully doesn't give false alarms... except when kids go down and start opening doors to garden early in the morning!

Thanks again for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Another option if the cable is too short is to make a hole where the cables comes from the ceiling and extend the cable, putting the access cable and joins up into the ceiling. Use gel crimps when joining the cables.

• Advertisement
Advertisement