Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please.....

Options
  • 20-03-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭alpahaeagle

Hi

I am after paying €600 deposit on a new front door With a company in dublin...I paid cash as I had lost my laser card at the time ( and I was given good reviews about this company from people I know ). Any way the short story is they closed up shop and I have no door.

My wife rang them on the 9th to be told the door was to be installed on the 13th, (it had taken a week and a half to get the door measured. As we had family issues). Anyhow My wife Rang the fitter ( Freelance ) as to when he would be up on the Tuesday. Only to be told that we were not down to have a door fitted. We tried to ring the Company only to get an engaed tone, and the out of service tone. I drove up to the company only to be told that they had closed the week before.

I have the Invoice, is there anyway I can get my money back ?????

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have the Invoice, is there anyway I can get my money back ?????

Unfortunately, the chances of getting your money back are very very slim, and even if you get lucky, you might get back 1c per Euro.

Sorry to give you the bad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just to add paying by laser wouldn't have made a difference, only a credit card would have ensured a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

If there is a liquidator appointed you will be able to get a form from him to make a claim. However you will be an unsecured creditor so the chances of you ever receiving anything are very slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

Melendez wrote: »

Then you've no hope of getting a cent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

this ties in very well with a thread in AH discussing the merits of credit cards

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056581923

it's good to have a credit card just for high end purchases like this imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Melendez wrote: »
    Paulw wrote: »
    Then you've no hope of getting a cent.

I don't think it works like that. If they're a sole trader then they're personally responsible for the debts. Otherwise the directors can decide to voluntarily wind up the company, and if they can state that the company can cover its debts then they can appoint their own liquidator, otherwise they have to hold a creditors meeting and the creditors appoint a liquidator. They could get themselves voluntarily struck off in the unlikely case of them having no debts at all.

So, I don't think that a company can (legally) just vanish without paying their debts.

OP, I'd say the first step is to find out who owned the shop and whether it was operated by a company or as a sole trader.

Zab wrote: »

So, I don't think that a company can (legally) just vanish without paying their debts.

If the company has no money, it can vanish without paying. If the company has any assets, then the Revenue get their money first, and everyone else joins the queue for the rest of what's left.

Usually, the end customer, like the OP, is the very last on the list, and usually get nothing.

That's all based on the assumption that it's a limited company, which, from the original post, this company is likely to be.

The OP should be able to find that out from a CRO search.

If it was me id be on solocheck.ie find out the name and address of the directors, and id knock into their house.

To what end? Trespassing? Harassment?

If it's a limited company then they, most likely, have no personal obligation to pay you.

Advertisement