Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

a good kettle Barbecue

Options
  • 20-03-2012 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

hi i didnt know where to post this so ill stick it here. mods do your thing if i am wrong.

i am looking for a charcoal kettle grill that has a ajustable air vent on the bottom and the top. there are plenty of these starting to come into the shops right now but almost none on display.

webber do exactly what i am after but i would like somthing cheaper if possable. in north county dublin area if you know a good place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you tried Woodies/Atlantic Homecare or B&Q?
    A quick search on the B&Q site brings up a few very cheap kettle BBQs.
    I'd like to know how much they are charging in their Irish stores. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

hi i didnt know where to post this so ill stick it here. mods do your thing if i am wrong.

i am looking for a charcoal kettle grill that has a ajustable air vent on the bottom and the top. there are plenty of these starting to come into the shops right now but almost none on display.

webber do exactly what i am after but i would like somthing cheaper if possable. in north county dublin area if you know a good place.

The Webbers are dear but well worth it. I bought one in 1999 while living in Sydney and shipped it back when I came home in 2001. Suffice it to say that it is still going strong all these years later and, even though it is used as often as the Irish weather allows, is as good as new.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    The Webbers are dear but well worth it. I bought one in 1999 while living in Sydney and shipped it back when I came home in 2001. Suffice it to say that it is still going strong all these years later and, even though it is used as often as the Irish weather allows, is as good as new.

Defo, you get what you pay for!

There is one going cheap in Argos at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

well i went to woodies droeghida today and picked up a weber 57cm one touch original (the one without the temp gauge and ash bucket) €150

before i got it i had a look at the other kettles on display and the weber definatly had a more sturdy construction and seem to be made with better materials.

i plan to fire her up tomorrow and make some pizza on a oven stone then maby next week head to jcs in swords to pick up some pork shoulder see how that cooks low and slow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

+1 on the Weber. I've had a smokey joe for the last few years, cost about £50 I think.

http://www.weberbbq.co.uk/barbecues/portable/smokey-joe-original/

Great little yoke, good as new and can throw it in the car and bring it camping too.

Buy a quality bbq, otherwise you will regret it in the long term when it turns to a heap of rust in the garden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Whenever I light my one I get desperate smoke until the charcoal catches flame and starts to go white. Is there some knack to lighting the charcoal to stop annoying the neighbours on the few sunny days of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

Whenever I light my one I get desperate smoke until the charcoal catches flame and starts to go white. Is there some knack to lighting the charcoal to stop annoying the neighbours on the few sunny days of the year?

first make sure your fuel is bone dry . trying to light coals that have been sitting in a wooden shead all winter will produce alot of smoke and not much heat.

i have a yoke called a chimney starter you fill it with charcoal or bricketts and light a fire at the bottom using paper or bbq lighter cubes and the coals will be lit in 15 mins. i picked mine up cheap in argos last winter does a fine job. google bbq chimney starter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

i have a yoke called a chimney starter you fill it with charcoal or bricketts and light a fire at the bottom using paper or bbq lighter cubes and the coals will be lit in 15 mins. i picked mine up cheap in argos last winter does a fine job. google bbq chimney starter.
    +1000 for one of these, it's the dogs dangly bits. No need for BBQ lighters though, 3 sheets of crumpled up newspaper will do just fine. Weber do one as well, and they're usually there in the same display as the barbecues themselves. You still get a fair bit of smoke for a few minutes at the beginning though, not a lot you can do about that I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Alun wrote: »
    +1000 for one of these, it's the dogs dangly bits. No need for BBQ lighters though, 3 sheets of crumpled up newspaper will do just fine. Weber do one as well, and they're usually there in the same display as the barbecues themselves. You still get a fair bit of smoke for a few minutes at the beginning though, not a lot you can do about that I think.

You can make one of these with a used catering sized tin can. Easy... and free!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

+1 again for the weber ones, they're pretty much the standard brand to use in the US, very good and long lasting.

i've bought cheaper ones before, but they never last as the metal isn't up to withstanding the repeatedly high temps over and over and they end up rusting away.

• Advertisement
Advertisement