Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness Courses (Student Visa) in Sydney

Options
  • 20-03-2012 12:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi There,

I'm coming to the end of my second working holiday visa and am hoping to stay in Sydney beyond that. I've been looking into fitness courses (eligible for a student visa) and wondering if anyone on here has enrolled in one?

At present I am looking at doing the cert 3 & 4 in fitness at ACSF. The initial cost is 3,260 (including fees, enrolment, visa, insurance for 20 months and materials). After that 1,690 is due every three months for fees. The total cost of doing the course will be 11,710 which keeps me here for 20 months.

Are there any other colleges people on here are aware of?

The course only requires me in class 2 days a week which gives me flexibility to work contract jobs. I'm aware of the 20 hour restriction, but this is fine with me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Try the Go Study Australia website, they have an office in Pitt st Sydney, there good at sorting people out. See Paula.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

After that 1,690 is due every three months for fees.
    The course only requires me in class 2 days a week which gives me flexibility to work contract jobs. I'm aware of the 20 hour restriction, but this is fine with me.

That's about a standard cost.
    The 20 hr restriction is really harsh. 20 hours x 12 weeks @ $25/hr is $6k
    $1690 is a reasonable chuck of that. I know you can work unrestricted outside of term time but i'm not surprised that nobody sticks the the 20 hours given the fees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Ducky are you doing this course just to stay in Oz or do you really want to do fitness?

I think its an awful lot of money to spend on a course that will not get you a qualification that will get you into Oz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Fitness is a course I'd be interested in. I work in television production which doesn't really sponsor. I've been picking up freelance work in the corporate sector which I'm happy to continue doing (it also pays well) while I do the course. It gives me time to look for a sponsor/maybe even find a defacto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

I have a degree from home and going by the skilled migrant points table I have enough points to qualify. I was thinking of applying for it while I did the course too.

Is it possible to apply for skilled migrant now and stay here while my application is processed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Is it possible to apply for skilled migrant now and stay here while my application is processed?
    Yes that is fine once you have a valid visa. Check put the migration megathread (sticky) for all things migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on courses of a similar duration and price that may lead to skilled sponsorship upon completion?

Many thanks and best of luck Ducky!

Anyone any ideas? The reason I ask is because all the trades seem to be either 3, or more likely, 4 year apprenticeships. I've been looking and struggling to find a 2 year course with route to sponsorship. If anyone has any ideas would be great to hear them.

Going to the Monash post-graduate on Thursday, so if I find anything out from that will update.

Also ive been looking a lot at the $18k required funds requirement. Coming from a cat 1 country it's stated that is is necessary to DECLARE the funds, coming from India/China the like its necessary to SHOW PROOF of the 18k.

This youtube video illustrates it pretty well - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yoJsNVHhbw

However I was wondering what the difference was in real terms between declaring and showing proof? There's obviously a difference. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Many thanks.

Advertisement