Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drowning on Lough Corrib

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Terrible tragedy, the corrib can be a very dangerous lake.

its a bad place to go if the wind is up, you see a load of people on the lake with no life jacket. and you see plenty heroes going thru the rough instead of pulling on to the shore to let it pass

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Such a tragedy, RIP

Lough Corrib, like any other waterway, can be very dangerous, especially when the wind picks up.

Remember to always use your 'crotch strap' when wearing your life-jacket. If your life-jacket does not have one, get one! They cost very little. I have a habit of giving people a little brief on life-jackets when they come on-board with me, as I am responsible for their lives from the second they board the boat until the second they disembark.

I must say that as an avid user of the Corrib, the majority of boat users I see do indeed use life-jackes. I find the main culprets are the trainers/coaches for the rowing boats on the river in aluminium boats.

A life has been lost, but let's hope that it may change even only one persons attitude towards life-jackets in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ritak10

Yes please let this be the case.
    I am the sister of Michael who lost his life.he was fastidious about safety so I don't know what went wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

ritak10 wrote: »
    I am the sister of Michael who lost his life.he was fastidious about safety so I don't know what went wrong

my condolences to you and your family in this trajic and sorrowful time, while i wouldnt claim to know your brother michael, as a fellow fisherman i feel a sense of your loss!!! i hope your loss will eventually be someones gain!! safety is and always will be paramount!!!!!
    RIP michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Hi Ritak10

I was there that evening and helping in the search for Michael, we also helped in the rescue of the other angler. If you want to PM me with any questions please do so. From what I could gather we arrived on the scene about 25-30mins after the lads went overboard. It was an accident and things can happen so fast, the exact details may never be known as is with most accidents. I too wish to offer my sincere condolences to you and your family and please get in touch if you feel I may be able to piece anything together for you....

Best Regards
    Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

ritak10 wrote: »

I am so sorry for your loss. May your brother Michael rest in peace.

Advertisement