Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long term leasing Vs Selling

Options
  • 20-03-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭

Can anyone outline to me the pros and cons of long term leasing against selling.

I may be leaving the country for longer than a year and I am trying to weigh up my options regarding my horse.

My main worry is trying to find someone who would be willing to lease a horse for more than a year. How feasible is this? Has anyone on here ever leased a horse on a long term basis? She is a 10 year old arab mare, 15.1hh, riding for 4 years now. She's riding great, has showjumped in kill, hacks out well, schools dressage, shes a great all rounder and has excellent manners. I would have no problem finding a buyer for her.

However I do not want to let her go, which is why I'll be looking into long term leasing instead. If I decide to move over permanently then I will make the decision to sell. I really do not want to though.

So any help would be appreciated, I really have no idea where to even start looking regarding long term leasing. I know it's possible, but am I worried I am being too hopeful regarding getting to keep my horse.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

well selling is selling and im sure you know all about that :/

but leasing is a good option, the only thing is if its to a stranger you need to be careful that they will be taking good care (preventing injury, etc) because as its not their horse, its not their problem if he goes permanently lame.

if you have a friend or a local yard that may have people interested i would strongly recomend sending him to somebody you know.

my yard owner has a kind of programme going on where she owns some horses that she keeps out of the rising school (because they are too gooD/ not beginners horses, etc) and people lease off her either sharing with someone or full lease, maybe you could find somewhere like that as the yard would be there keeping an eye? it has worked out really well in my yard anyway!

if your going away i wouldnt be too pressed on getting someone to pay you for leasing as this kind of reinforces the disposable aspect i was talking about earlier.... a loving home would be more than you could ask for.

i hope i helped :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

yes only now did i read the date you posted that.. awkward :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

well selling is selling and im sure you know all about that :/

but leasing is a good option, the only thing is if its to a stranger you need to be careful that they will be taking good care (preventing injury, etc) because as its not their horse, its not their problem if he goes permanently lame.

if you have a friend or a local yard that may have people interested i would strongly recomend sending him to somebody you know.

my yard owner has a kind of programme going on where she owns some horses that she keeps out of the rising school (because they are too gooD/ not beginners horses, etc) and people lease off her either sharing with someone or full lease, maybe you could find somewhere like that as the yard would be there keeping an eye? it has worked out really well in my yard anyway!

if your going away i wouldnt be too pressed on getting someone to pay you for leasing as this kind of reinforces the disposable aspect i was talking about earlier.... a loving home would be more than you could ask for.

i hope i helped :)

My yard owner does the same with horses, hell lease them out (but not used in lessons) I could talk to him regarding her if I do decide to go away for longer than a year. I'm just all over the place at the moment, I won't want any money from the leasee, and I don't expect to pay much. Ideally I would get someone who would 'take her off my hands' for the year and treat her like she was their own horse, pay their own livery, shoeing, vet, etc. Ideally at the yard she's at now.

I will draw up contracts however and I know enough people who will happily check up on her if that ever happens. I would ask the leasee to email me pictures of her every month or so, and in the case of medical stuff/moving her/changing feed/work load/etc would go through me first. I'm very easy going I just want the best for my mare, she is my forever horse, I just don't want to have her wasting a few years of her life in a field while I'm on the other side of the world.

yes only now did i read the date you posted that.. awkward :L

I posted it today? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭xxkarenxx

I think it is a loan agreement you are looking at not a lease? The BHS do a sample contract for when the time comes. I would include in the agreement that the horse is to stay on the yard you are currently on so that if anything doesn't go to plan the YO could act on your behalf. It would be upsetting and difficult to try and deal with any issues from the other side of the world for both parties.

It is nice that you want to have photos etc every month but to be honest I would be vary wary of stating that to potential loaners. It could put people off a nice horse if they think the owner is going to be too clingy. I know you will want to be updated but there are limits to what a loaner should be expected to do. I do understand where you are coming from but if the YO is trustworthy would that be enough to put your mind at ease?

• Advertisement

xxkarenxx wrote: »
    I think it is a loan agreement you are looking at not a lease? The BHS do a sample contract for when the time comes. I would include in the agreement that the horse is to stay on the yard you are currently on so that if anything doesn't go to plan the YO could act on your behalf. It would be upsetting and difficult to try and deal with any issues from the other side of the world for both parties.

It is nice that you want to have photos etc every month but to be honest I would be vary wary of stating that to potential loaners. It could put people off a nice horse if they think the owner is going to be too clingy. I know you will want to be updated but there are limits to what a loaner should be expected to do. I do understand where you are coming from but if the YO is trustworthy would that be enough to put your mind at ease?

I'm only at my new yard 2 months now, and so far I know that the YO has done his very best in caring for her while I'm not around.(Have her on DIY)
    I'd say if someone else was to loan her on the yard he would keep an eye on them for a while, he has the horse's wellbeing above everything else.

I'll definitely look up the BHS sample contract, I have my own rough one drawn up from last summer when she was going to be leased for a few weeks.

Isn't a loan and a lease not the same thing? It would just be more long term. I don't think it's too much to ask for an update every so often? Considering if I'm in australia for 2 years, I can't just pop up to see her.
    I know plenty of people who lease a horse and they will text the owner every week or email updates? I don't think that would be an issue at all, anyone who cares about their horse enough would like to know that the horse is taken care of.

Leasing usually infers that there is a payment expected whereas a loan is free. Stating lease in the ad could put potential loaners off. Something I have heard done for loaning though is that the loaners give a deposit which is refunded at the end of the loan agreement. I suppose it could be useful if someone goes off and doesn't pay livery or vet bills etc.

I think you took me up wrong, I wasn't suggesting that you don't get updates I just meant that maybe saying you want regular photos and contact might be sufficient rather than saying monthly/weekly updates. Having been on both sides on this one it is hard to find a balance but when you find the right person for your horse your mind will automatically be put at ease :)

Leasing usually infers that there is a payment expected whereas a loan is free. Stating lease in the ad could put potential loaners off. Something I have heard done for loaning though is that the loaners give a deposit which is refunded at the end of the loan agreement. I suppose it could be useful if someone goes off and doesn't pay livery or vet bills etc.

I think you took me up wrong, I wasn't suggesting that you don't get updates I just meant that maybe saying you want regular photos and contact might be sufficient rather than saying monthly/weekly updates. Having been on both sides on this one it is hard to find a balance but when you find the right person for your horse your mind will automatically be put at ease :)

Ooh right, leasing is definitly what I'll be looking to do. I'd rather someone take her as if she was their own horse, pay for her etc (I'll wire up the difference if they want to pay say 70% or something). A deposit is a good idea, might look into that, fully refundable if everything goes alright - horse taken care of/bills paied/etc.

That's what I meant by updates, just a friendly email every so often just letting me know how things are getting on. I wouldn't expect a weekly update as I personally would forget to do the very same thing. My parents would go down and check on her every so often anyway and a friend of mine who has known my horse for years has offered to check in on her for me too. So I may not need updates that often at all as I'll have people watching.

Parents and friend will speak on my behalf in case of emergencies (I can't be contacted etc) I trust their judgement. This will be stated in the contract.

No no no, leasing is a fee paid to the owner on top of the livery and bills etc! Sorry I don't think I was clear there. It is a loan you are looking at from what I gathered in your OP. You don't expect a payment but you do want them to pay expenses for the horse.

No no no, leasing is a fee paid to the owner on top of the livery and bills etc! Sorry I don't think I was clear there. It is a loan you are looking at from what I gathered in your OP. You don't expect a payment but you do want them to pay expenses for the horse.

I'm not expecting anything, just for someone to take care of her out of their own pocket. It would be just as if they owned her, I'd just help along if need be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Finding a good home is difficult and theres also the concern that, if you are away - you can't check in on her.

Its the wrong time of year, but some of the BHS equestrian colleges like Gurteen Agricultural College take horses on long term loan. They look after them really well - the slight drawback is that, she'll be used as a lesson horse, and depending on her temperament - might have to put up with some poor riders.

They vet the horses they take - and look after every respect of their care thereafter, which is a massive plus.

Rips wrote: »
    Finding a good home is difficult and theres also the concern that, if you are away - you can't check in on her.

Its the wrong time of year, but some of the BHS equestrian colleges like Gurteen Agricultural College take horses on long term loan. They look after them really well - the slight drawback is that, she'll be used as a lesson horse, and depending on her temperament - might have to put up with some poor riders.

They vet the horses they take - and look after every respect of their care thereafter, which is a massive plus.

I completely forgot about those! Thornton park also does leases for their BHS examination centre! I was chatting to a few people today, the horses are well taken care of and I have two people more than willing to keep an eye on her - a good friend and my old yard's owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭silverfox88

Agree with Rips, would be very sceptical about putting my horse in a school BUT thornton and gurteen etc have their reputation to take care of; wouldnt look good for them if your horse wasnt well looked after. also seems as though they if the horse is going to be used in lessons they'll have to have their own insurance which covers you; a big worry i would have about loaning my horse would be someone suing for injury! also its unlikely the circumstances of big places like that would change sufficiently for them to be unable to keep your horse anymore which could be a problem with private loaners in this economic climate!
    be very wary about private loans though if you are going to be away, someone i know did that and had literally no end of difficulties.. the horse had an undiagnosed condition which made him difficult to ride, but it hadnt been a problem before she left and she was stuck trying to shift him from loaner to loaner from another country, nightmare.

Agree with Rips, would be very sceptical about putting my horse in a school BUT thornton and gurteen etc have their reputation to take care of; wouldnt look good for them if your horse wasnt well looked after. also seems as though they if the horse is going to be used in lessons they'll have to have their own insurance which covers you; a big worry i would have about loaning my horse would be someone suing for injury! also its unlikely the circumstances of big places like that would change sufficiently for them to be unable to keep your horse anymore which could be a problem with private loaners in this economic climate!
    be very wary about private loans though if you are going to be away, someone i know did that and had literally no end of difficulties.. the horse had an undiagnosed condition which made him difficult to ride, but it hadnt been a problem before she left and she was stuck trying to shift him from loaner to loaner from another country, nightmare.

Thanks for that I have already been in contact with Gurteen and Thornton park, just asking for details and such, I send an email but I'm in no hurry so I can always pop up on a free day if I hear nothing back.

my circumstances are changing constantly at the moment, but I'm thinking If I lease her to a BHS training facility it would be better for her, she'll get the care she needs and will be supervised with other people too.

Advertisement