Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Good but Watkins has to go.

There are worse backups around the league

I think people are seriously underestimating foles he's become the forgotten child with Barkley statistically he had a really good year

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nerd69 wrote: »
    There are worse backups around the league

I think people are seriously underestimating foles he's become the forgotten child with Barkley statistically he had a really good year

Yeah there are worse but there are far better. I think foles with a healthy line would be good. He wasn't too shabby with a woeful line last season. I think foles will be the starter week one against the skins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Yeah there are worse but there are far better. I think foles with a healthy line would be good. He wasn't too shabby with a woeful line last season. I think foles will be the starter week one against the skins.

As long as we have a fit offensive line we'll be fine this year. I'd be shocked if Vick isnt the starter and if he has a good O-Line he'll be ready for a strong season. Last year he was injured in pre-season and really rusty for the first four games and once the season was in the tank we made a good decision to get Foles into the games. I think Foles could be a decent player but Vick is still far too talented to have on the bench. Hopefully he can play within himself, like in 2010, and have time in the pocket. With the skill positions so loaded we could be very good on offence as long as we protect Vick.

On a sidenote we signed Felix Jones today

Don't really want felix jones if it means we cut one of the 4 backs we have I'm pretty high on all 4 at the moment

My issue with Vick is that one of chips most important qb intangibles is decision making and Vicks is terrible. Having said that if chip dosent do an andy Reid and try to turn him into a pocket passer he can still be a good player

My issue with Vick really is that he just makes bad decisions when he needs to and if he could learn to slid FEET first all the time and he needs to remember he isnt jim brown and get out of bounds if he has to. I've said it before on this forum and on this thread about him needing make better game decisions.

I mean he also needs to get the ball out of his hands way quicker than what he did last season, thats provided something is on down field obviously. If you have the ball in this game you are liable to hit and I don't want him getting seriously hurt.

• Advertisement

ok heres my guess at our final 53 man roster

Qb:nick foles,mike vick,matt barkley

i think nick foles is our starter day one.
    because of this i see mike vick being traded or more likley cut to avoid him his 3.5 mil bonus
    idealy matt holds a clipboard for the year to help him develop his arm a bit and him and foles could potentially have a huge camp battle next year

RB:lesean mccoy,bryce brown,chris polk,

I think we potentially have the best group in the league here. lesean is obvious no 1
    Bryce i think is in for a huge year as i said before i expect chip to run the ball 60-70% of the time so there will be plenty of carries to go round he fumbled a bit last year but hes been out of football for a while and its a common rookie issue i feel he could end up challenging for the same amount of carries as mccoy.
    chris polk could also come pretty big this year as i said theres plenty of carries and with a year to get his body right he should get some decent yards off of defences tired from bryce and mccoy
    I would have prefered if we kept maysonet.

WR:desean jackson,jeremy maclin,demarius johnson,jason avant,arrelious benn,russell sheppard

-top 3 guys should love chips fast offence.
    I think benn will do better in this than he did in tampas o and russell sheppard shows a lot of potential.
    i do worry about jason avant but i cant leave him out of my team i feel he is possible the safest pair of hands in the nfl (he didnt drop a pass last year and we saw his full potential with foles in the tampa game)
    momah could end up keeping one of these guys out if he shows any potential at all he may be worth keeping purley due to his physical dimentions the possibliltys are endless with him

TE:zach ertz,brett celek,james casey,clay harbour

-this is the position chip loves (its possible hes a large reason the pats drafted and built around gronk and hernandez) this is where chip creates the mismatches he craves
    I feel ertz beats out celek to start the year but we will run so many two te sets it wont matter ertz will be be moved to slot reciever at times to create a mismatch
    casey (if he comes back from his injury ok) will be our joker he will line up at fb at te and at slot reciever himself
    harbour may not make the team showed flashes last year but he has to much talent ahead of him

o-line:
    starters:peters,mathis,kelce,herrimans,johnson
    backups:dennis kelly, dallas reynolds, danny watkins, allen barbre

peters,mathis,kelce and herrimans are nailed on starters bar injury and all are very good at there position the question is will johnson be the starter by the time the season roles around or will they start kelly and let lane learn for a while.
    I think lane will start altought kelly could play a but as lane lines up at slot reciever or te for super heavy units.

so theres our offence i think we will play a spread option. the key will be mismatches with ertz, casey and lane johnson giving huge potential for mismatches expect to see players capible of moving positions lined up all over the place ie.
    ertz: te and slot reciever
    Casey :fullback te and slot reciever
    Lane : tackle fullback and te
    Mccoy: rb and reciever
    desean: reciever and scat back
    maclin:reciever and rb

and heres our d

D-line:
    Starters:cox,sopoaga,logan
    backups:thornton, curry, kruger, dixon

cox is a star he will be just fine at de could grow into one of the better 3-4 des in the league by the end of the year
    sopoaga is our stopgap nt he wont be abel to play all downs expect him to be subbed out for dixon and/or logan on a lot of plays
    logan thornton or curry could all stary at the other de position this is the big question im curious to see how curry transitions if hes not a fit he will be a very good pickup for a 4-3 team he should have gotten more snaps last year
    kruger is young and needs to develop he will see snaps here and there i dont think he will make a big impact this year

LB:
    Starters:brandon graham,demeco ryans,mychal kendrics,conner barwin
    Backups:Trent cole,casey matthews,jamar chaney,jason phillips

i think graham and kendricks will really stank out in this d. chip will love kendricks as he counters exactly what he feels football is all about mismatches he can blitz or cover a te or even a slot reciever expect him to be used simularly to dion jordan at oregon
    graham i think will be rushing the passer on most plays and as we saw at the end of last year hes damn good at it.

casey matthews gets another shot as i feel hes better suited to the 3-4 than he was a 4-3 (he also played in it in college at oregon no less)and jamar chaney should excel in this d his pace allowing him to slot in for kendrics

dbs:
    Starters:carry williams,bradley fletcher,earl wolf,patrick chung
    Backups:kenny phillips, boykins, poyer, allen, anderson,marsh

this was where we were worst last year we now have a below average group but i feel happier with this group than i would if last years returned

williams is a question he yet to report to training camp and has fallen behind some of the rest additionally hes not a good cb just an average one. poyer may get the nod instead of him but i think he starts by default
    fletcher has potential i think he can be a good cb and will probably be our best one this year flags are an issue with him but he is good and was only stuck behind 2 star corners at the rams
    i think chung starts again through default but he should bring some physicallity back to the d
    the other starting saftey spot is between nate allen and earl wolff im high on wolff but nate allen is better than he showed last year
    boykins and poyer both make the team and fight it out for slot corner
    marsh is 3rd outside corner and anderson is a special teams ace

our d is far from the best in the league but it should be better than last years excuse for a d.
    what i love about it is that its being built around phisical team players that could be key there are no distractions here just big hits

my issue with the d is that its still being built i guess it will take at least 2 years to have it where it shold be but for a d changing from 4-3 to 3-4 i think weve done pretty well

special teams

kicker:alex henry hes a good safe kicker he seems to have issues under pressure and does not have huge distance but im happy enough with him

punter:brand wing we signed a very good punter in donnie jones but brad wing has huge potential and is actually a pretty good athlete if were thinking about trick plays/kickers ability to tackle

long snapper: jon dorenbos hes simply one of the best in the biz

• Advertisement

Happy 80th birthday to the eagles franchise. I've only been a fan for 14 of them.

Happy 80th birthday to the eagles franchise. I've only been a fan for 14 of them.

About the same for me, got into the NFL about 99 and cant remember not being an Eagles fan. It was easy to pick the team when had a young McNabb, Dawks and a pretty fearsome team!

Camp starts today.

Camp starts today.

So we can finally get some hints about the qb battle

I'm also looking forward to the Donne jones- brad wing battle(punters are people to)

Who gets time at de opposite fletcher cox should be interesting as well as who will back up Isaac sopoaga

Finally Trent cole and more so Brandon Graham's transition to olb should be interesting

nerd69 wrote: »
    So we can finally get some hints about the qb battle

I'm also looking forward to the Donne jones- brad wing battle(punters are people to)

Who gets time at de opposite fletcher cox should be interesting as well as who will back up Isaac sopoaga

Finally Trent cole and more so Brandon Graham's transition to olb should be interesting
    Do we all thing it's an actual open competition on the QB starter for the season ?
    I know I've said that I'd wouldn't be surprised if foles was the starter week one, but how open is it ? Is it Vicks job to lose ?

Do we all thing it's an actual open competition on the QB starter for the season ?
    I know I've said that I'd wouldn't be surprised if foles was the starter week one, but how open is it ? Is it Vicks job to lose ?

I think foles is no 1 in the depth chart now to be honest people are overstating Vicks running ability chip has constantly said its all about accuracy Vick can get it back but as far as I know foles got way more snaps than Vick at no pad camp due to completing more drives

I also think people are underestimating barkleys ability to challenge Vick and foles got no real head start on him in this o and he seems to be a very astute guy

If I had to put money down now it would be foles but its a fascinating battle iv never seen a 3 way battle so close with such different styles of player

So short answer yes I do think its a competition if be pretty disappointed if it was not

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭aha_sender

First, the QB competition is truly open for me. Foles will hopefully win the battle for the long term future of the franchise.if vick loses and Barkley looks adequate vick is cut.
    So my depth chart looks like this
    1 Foles
    2 Barkley
    3 Dixon

The reasons vick will not win are thrice-fold, The two Chip seems to value Decision making, accuracy and probably the most important not taking sacks. All vick weakness to me.

Not a bad moment in eagles history.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Well lads, to pick up where I left off last season. I really hope Foles wins your QB battle. He's a talented kid and I'd liked him from the moment I first saw him play last preseason. I think it's pointless wasting time with the high risk, high pain style of Vicks. Foles is the man to build the franchise around imo. I just hope he has better O line protection this year, than he had at last season.

• Advertisement

Was watching some of the videos on the eagles site from training camp and Jesus it was good to see Jason peters in pads and back on the field.

Jeremy maclin has apparently torn his ACL. Balls his 2013 season is over then.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Yup it's up on espn now. Bummer for him!

Mcnabb retiring as an eagle today at a press conference at 3pm Irish time.

The no 5 jersey will be retired in September when mcnabb is inducted into the eagles hall of fame.

Impressive numbers from mcnabb

Good to see number 5 retiring as an Eagle. He's the best QB in franchise history and one of the best players of his generation. It'll be interesting to see what happens in a few years when he's Hall eligible. It will be tough to induct him but he was so successful and consistent in getting us to NFC championship games etc that he has to be in the discussion at some point down the line

Riley cooper is in hot water for using racist language.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Riley cooper is in hot water for using racist language.
    Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie announced his team fined WR Riley Cooper for his racist remarks.

Interesting to see how much it's for!

• Advertisement

What do ye think will happen with Maclin re it being his contract year in theory we should be Abel to sign him to a cheap 1 year contract by I think some bozo team could end up offering him big money and we lose him for nothing

In traning camp it's nice swing boykins playing so well outstanding slot back but he looks like he's going to be starting and could potentially develop into a "shutdown corner"

Pretty disappointed that demarius Johnson is not getting more first team reps instead of cooper but Maby chip wants a big body recieved out there

With the lack of kick returners in the pro bowl desean could be the only player to get voted in at 2 positions for a long long time only way I see someone else doing it is if they are a Randal Cunningham style player with a huge boot

Advertisement