Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭nerd69

having looked back at my eagles picks for the last few years iv decided theres no point in trying to guess what the eagles will do because i wont even be close .

most unpredictable head office in the nfl?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,404 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Two years this off season since mcnabb was traded to the 'skins, so are the team better or worse without him the past two years ?

I wasn't bothered either way that we traded mcnabb as he had his chances to win the holy grail and didn't do the business. Now he would say he never had the receivers to help him, but he had responsibilty for not winning aswell.

I mean five NFC championship games and only winning one wasn't good enough.

That's not to say that kolb/Vick has worked out brilliant as as far as I know Lombardi is still missing from Philly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Two years this off season since mcnabb was traded to the 'skins, so are the team better or worse without him the past two years ?

I wasn't bothered either way that we traded mcnabb as he had his chances to win the holy grail and didn't do the business. Now he would say he never had the receivers to help him, but he had responsibilty for not winning aswell.

I mean five NFC championship games and only winning one wasn't good enough.

That's not to say that kolb/Vick has worked out brilliant as as far as I know Lombardi is still missing from Philly.

I think that the future is still pretty bright in Philly. I'd take Vick over McNabb without hessitation now and if he can have time in the pocket, as he did two years ago, he can do serious damage. As it is our O-Line was shocking last year and really left him exposed. Add in Jackson not showing up and you had a recipe for disaster.

This year DeSean will be back on form and with Maclin on the outside and Celic at TE as well we have playmakers for Vick to get the ball to-never mind having McCoy at HB.

The defence needs to show up this year and I think with so much turnover last off season the lockout hurt us much more than most teams. By the end of the year we looked much better but it was too little too late.

I would say that in 2010 we were very close to knocking the Packers off in the Play offs and we would have been a tough team to beat the rest of that post season. We're making progress but after spending so big last year we all expected far more. Hopefully the pay off comes this season

weird draft this year the top 2 picks are guarantees but most other players are flying all over the place normally theres a consensus top 5 or 6 picks at this stage but after the vikings its unguessable

il be honest i freaked out when mcnabb was traded (not to the same extent as when dawkins was left go though) but we have come out of it much better however we fluked it kolb would have gotten destroyed behind our line 2 years ago if vick didnt turn out to be so good we where in trouble (and he came out of nowhere he was terrible the year before all be it only getting snaps here and there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

nerd69 wrote: »
    weird draft this year the top 2 picks are guarantees but most other players are flying all over the place normally theres a consensus top 5 or 6 picks at this stage but after the vikings its unguessable

Top 6 seem to be fairly settled I think

Luck
    RGIII
    Kalil
    Richardson
    Claiborne
    Blackmon

In that order seem to be what everyone is mocking now

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Top 6 seem to be fairly settled I think

Luck
    RGIII
    Kalil
    Richardson
    Claiborne
    Blackmon

In that order seem to be what everyone is mocking now

maybe i dont think they will go that way its odd not having the raiders in the top 10 to mess up everyones mock draft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

So Asante is gone... traded for a 7th round pick... very bad deal I think. Fair enough they needed to get rid of him but he's a great player and was worth a lot more than that... pretty pissed off over it actually. Typical!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

So Asante is gone... traded for a 7th round pick... very bad deal I think. Fair enough they needed to get rid of him but he's a great player and was worth a lot more than that... pretty pissed off over it actually. Typical!

:confused: is there no other team in the entire league that could have offered something better than a 7th round pick for a 4 time pro bowler...

seriously like in all fairness

I see howie made another great move yesterday. A 7th for asante is a disgraceful result. If this what they are up the eve of the draft I wonder what will happen tonight at the draft ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Xfire Elect

Don't really mind Asante leaving, late round pick was all we could get. We're pretty much sorted at CB with Nnamdi and DRC, aswell as Hanson. Add another CB through the draft, and we'll be much better off. It's sad to see him go, a great player, but we didn't need a player taking so much cap space over the age of 30 in a position we're comfortable with.

I see howie made another great move yesterday. A 7th for asante is a disgraceful result. If this what they are up the eve of the draft I wonder what will happen tonight at the draft ?

that seems harsh on howie asante was no use to us and everyone knew it a 7th is better than nothing and this is an upgrade for our defence (makes it easier on the safteys and we can play man coverage.

what other moves has he made that you disagree with so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

just saw a highlight vid for fletcher cox.
    now i know anyone can look good in highlight vids but my god he looks awsome not so opposed to dt now.
    also andy ried said hes going for best player available instead of need because hes missed some big players going for need over the last few years

Congrats man haha! Excellent call on Fletcher Cox. I didnt think he would still be available, but he will fill a big hole in the D.

Congrats man haha! Excellent call on Fletcher Cox. I didnt think he would still be available, but he will fill a big hole in the D.

to be fair that was before he climbed into the top 10 this guy looks good the first time in years im happy with an eagles 1st round pick hes only 21 so still has room to grow but i think our d line is gona be one of the best if not the best in the league next year

love the top 3 picks our d should see a huge improvement next year

Just seen on facebook that dawks number will be retired on 30th sept against the giants. Love this this man should never have left Philly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Nice read here about your new guy Vinny Curry - he wouldn't let cameras into his home during the draft because he didn't want to have to take down all his Eagles memorabilia.
    ometimes, coaches can exaggerate about players they've just drafted. But Andy Reid wasn't kidding when he said defensive end Vinny Curry "might be the biggest Eagles fan ever."

When the second-round pick from Neptune, N.J., met reporters Saturday, he displayed all the emotion, passion, sense of history and pride of the thousands he'll soon play in front of at the Linc. His eyes welled as he talked about meeting Brian Dawkins and Mike Vick. He name-checked Randall Cunningham and Troy Vincent, and insisted that it was Freddie Mitchell who originated the championship belt celebration. He said he wouldn't let cameras into his home on draft night because he didn't want to have to take down his Eagles gear.

"This is my last day, if I would have gone to a different team, being an Eagle fan, so I wouldn't take it down," he said.

Instead, the Brian Westbrook jersey and Eagles gloves and Eagles hats he wore as a kid can remain on the walls. And when he arrived for his first day at the NovaCare Complex, Curry stood in an auditorium as Dawkins retired. Among those on stage, and whom he would soon meet, were Vick, Donovan McNabb and Jeremiah Trotter.

"Most people, the draft is the best day of their life, but growing up an Eagle fan, being blessed with the opportunity of seeing Brian Dawkins retire and give a speech here, this has got to be the best day of my life here," Curry said, eyes gleaming under a flat-brimmed Eagles hat.

He spoke to reporters from the same stage where Dawkins had made his emotional exit hours earlier.

"To see his teammates come back, the way they embraced him, and the way they embraced me was really something special." Curry said. "It's a moment I'll never forget in my life."

Growing up in a Shore area town heavy with Giants fans, Curry couldn't afford Eagles tickets, but would rush home from Pop Warner games to watch on TV.

"The Eagle defense at one point in time was sickening, you know, with Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor, Brian Dawkins right there, Trot, D-line had Big Hugh (Douglas), it was crazy and I just used to picture myself on Sundays - that's going to be me one day," Curry said. "To see everything come through and fall through like this is, it's so mind blowing."

Some thought Curry could go in the first round, but he slid late into the second.

"I was upset that I slid, but like I said, I slid into the greatest situation ever," he said. "It's like it's 100 degrees outside and I slid into the pool."

Curry's enthusiasm, awe and sense of history are rare for a professional athlete. Most players pour their hearts into their teams, but it is also a job and a career with a cold business side attached. A cut or trade or free agent move - and change in allegiance - is always just one front office phone call away. Even the greats spend only their 20's and maybe early 30's with one organization.

The biggest fans, on the other hand, go from childhood to college to marriage to parenthood to old age living with their team. They watch generations of players come and go. Each new season arrives with the context of the accumulated big wins, disappointing losses, stars and busts gone by. Those memories fuel the passionate reactions on Sunday afternoons and Monday mornings.

When it comes to the Eagles, Curry understands all that. He knows the history, knows the names. When the Eagles drafted cornerback Brandon Boykin Saturday, Curry, a smiling live wire, rushed into the media room to join on the conference call.

"I'm so happy for you, bro!" he gushed. He still sounded like a fan.

Earlier Curry met the Eagles who laid the foundation for the playoff runs he watched, including Trotter, McNabb and Dawkins.

"Welcome to the family," they told him. Then Curry met Vick. According to the rookie Vick told him, "you're not a fan no more, you're my teammate."

Curry was near tears as he retold the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Xfire Elect

Absolutely delighted with the draft this year. Cox will be a beast on one of the best d-lines in the league, kendricks will will bring explosiveness to the LB corps, and then Curry will just add to a fierce defence. Really love the boykin signing too, an absolute beast in the return game.

Not too sold on Foles at the minute, but I can at least see him as a QB with potential. Good value for where we got him I suppose. Really happy to get Polk as a free agent too, completely shocked by that. One of the highest rated RBs. Even if his injuries hold him back, still great value to take a risk

Just seen on facebook that dawks number will be retired on 30th sept against the giants. Love this this man should never have left Philly.

favourite player ever im delighted his numbers getting retired
    weapon x is the eagles

mccoy gets signed to a 5 year deal nice to see him and jackson in it for the long haul

• Advertisement

winslow for philly anyone would be a nice addition to the offense and andy reid loves giving 2nd chances

so who do ye think is the better reciever desean or maclin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

so who do ye think is the better reciever desean or maclin

Maclin is a better all round receiver but obviously DeSean is a bigger threat. Tbh Maclin needs to cut out the mental errors this year. He has the talent to be a legit top 10 receiver but he hasn't really done it yet. I'll give him a pass for last year (he was fine but not awesome) as he had that illness but this year is a big one for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

How has Bryce Brown looked?

Paully D wrote: »
    How has Bryce Brown looked?

decent on limited carries last week but he looked class in traning camp we seem to have a lot of depth at running back this year polk looks good and lewis looks far better than last year

i could see us keeping lewis brown and mccoy as hbs and polk as a fb

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

decent on limited carries last week but he looked class in traning camp we seem to have a lot of depth at running back this year polk looks good and lewis looks far better than last year

i could see us keeping lewis brown and mccoy as hbs and polk as a fb

Cheers.

Was reading Rivals.com and noticed he was the #1 ranked high school prospect in the nation in 2009 and the first RB to be ranked #1 on that list since Peterson. Seems he had some ridiculous decisions during the recruiting stage of his career (messing Miami around for one) and it's pretty much been all downhill from there.

Will be interesting to see how he does in the NFL.

Paully D wrote: »
    Cheers.

Was reading Rivals.com and noticed he was the #1 ranked high school prospect in the nation in 2009 and the first RB to be ranked #1 on that list since Peterson. Seems he had some ridiculous decisions during the recruiting stage of his career (messing Miami around for one) and it's pretty much been all downhill from there.

Will be interesting to see how he does in the NFL.

ya by the sounds of it his biggest issue in college was sheer lazyness but hes looked very lively from what iv seen so far i want him as number 2 behind mccoy personally

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Michael Vick's took another big hit last night against the Pats, last night x-ray was clear, but he's having further MRi-CT scans later today. The guy just seems to hang on to the ball way too long at times. At 32, he ain't getting any younger and his injuries are just going to get more serious if he keeps doing it. Just wondering what you Eagles fans think.

Michael Vick's took another big hit last night against the Pats, last night x-ray was clear, but he's having further MRi-CT scans later today. The guy just seems to hang on to the ball way too long at times. At 32, he ain't getting any younger and his injuries are just going to get more serious if he keeps doing it. Just wondering what you Eagles fans think.
    He needs to learn when to give up on a play but he refuses to give up a lot of hits he takes are when he has 2 or 3 guys coming at him so scrambles to get an iffy throw off but takes a huge hit in the process on a positive note foles looked very good once he settled in last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I think Vicks is brave to the point of being foolish, not qualities I would want if he was my franchise QB. I have never seen Foles play before, but I really liked the look of that kid last night. He took a big hit from rookie Jake Bequette, gets up and then has a pretty nice pass completion. Nice qualities to see in a QB, what is his normal position on the depth chart?

Advertisement