Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Shame to lose a very good player but injuries and cap numbers made it too difficult to keep him unfortunately. If he can stay healthy for two or three years some team will get a very functional lineman that can play in most systems

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

frostie500 wrote: »
    Shame to lose a very good player but injuries and cap numbers made it too difficult to keep him unfortunately. If he can stay healthy for two or three years some team will get a very functional lineman that can play in most systems

We only saved 2.8 million from cutting Todd though and we've lost a starter also i think we had about 24 million in cap room before we cut him so unless we're planning a big free agent run or resigning Mac and the cox/kendricks/foles draft class I don't get it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

1st it was DJax last year, and now Shady McCoy, what is going on in chip kelly's head, yeah Sproles and Polk done well last season, but they are nowhere going to produce the numbers he did, Kelly must have some players lined up in FA or the power has gone to his head.

1st it was DJax last year, and now Shady McCoy, what is going on in chip kelly's head, yeah Sproles and Polk done well last season, but they are nowhere going to produce the numbers he did, Kelly must have some players lined up in FA or the power has gone to his head.

polk is to injury prone to start and sproles is to small to start on a run first team.

ya 50 mill in cap you would think that free agency+resigning cox/kendricks maby foles are going to be big should be an interesting offseason.

at the very least there are a lot of good running backs in fa and the draft this year i could nearly see us taking one of each or maby two in the draft

Rumours of Evan Mathis getting traded now, crazy

• Advertisement

iv not been a fan of one move yet this would not change that

• Registered Users Posts: 39,876 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No just no.

25_mccoy
    4 minutes ago
    My 6 years have been great I will miss the great fans n fun times as a eagle.. Mr Lurie n Andy Reid thank u for taking the young kid from Harrisburg pa and making him a man .... All my teammates it was a blast and yall kno I got so much luv for yall ... The fans the fans truly will b missed and I always made sure I broke some ankles just for the fans excitement ... Philly will always have a special place n my heart and from the Franchise Philadelphia Eagles All Time Rushing Leader good bye take care.

Lesean McCoy just posted this on his Instagram. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

We just agreed a 5 year deal for demarco Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Not sure what to make of the Murray, Matthews and Sproles as our backfield. I like Murray a lot in some ways but come on...21m guaranteed on a RB. It's very difficult to live up to that kind of contract when you're not known for being durable. Matthews has been pedestrian at best and this will surely mean that sproles will end up with only a handful of touches a game. That's no bad thing in fairness, I want him to get 10 touches between running and receiving and then get some kick return duties but I just don't understand the desire to invest so much in the RB position. We need a downfield threat at WR because Matthews looks like he could be really good but he's a slot/no2 who's great at short and intermediate stuff.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Lesean McCoy just posted this on his Instagram. Interesting.

unsurprisingly no mention of chip on there I'm just glad he's not decided to badmouth the whole organisation most of the outgoing players at lest have have nothing but good things to say about andy/lurie/the fans so thats always nice not particularly bothered if they dont like chip as if he can create a winning environment it will make no difference to players wanting to sign
    frostie500 wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of the Murray, Matthews and Sproles as our backfield. I like Murray a lot in some ways but come on...21m guaranteed on a RB. It's very difficult to live up to that kind of contract when you're not known for being durable. Matthews has been pedestrian at best and this will surely mean that sproles will end up with only a handful of touches a game. That's no bad thing in fairness, I want him to get 10 touches between running and receiving and then get some kick return duties but I just don't understand the desire to invest so much in the RB position. We need a downfield threat at WR because Matthews looks like he could be really good but he's a slot/no2 who's great at short and intermediate stuff.

its a lot for him I'm also not a fan of the signing because he had such a huge workload last year on top of that injury history its hard to see him not falling off a cliff. the one think I will say is with regards the people saying it was the cowboys o-line that got him them yards i think our o-line can be as good if not better than theres. another issue i have actually is that some of the logic of cutting shady was that rbs are not worth that money but we just guaranteed another one 21 mill :confused:

i think matthews has been a very good rb when healthy i just dont see him being healthy for a stretch of more than 4-5 games at any point so it could be a poor signing regardless also il be sad to see chris polk inevitably get cut now i think he's a really really good player.

i agree with you on matthews i think he can be a very good slot but i dont see him outside. josh huff could be an outside reciever and could take the top off a defence but he needs to shore up those hands and ertz can be a fantastic reciever ala jimmy graham but i think your dead right we need a top guy I'm not sure any of these guys are going to worry opposing defences. i guess we just have to trust in chip kellys offensive system and this defence on paper should be huge this year

also this guys back so thats fun

one thing i like about demarco is he seems like a really good guy he seems to have a chip on his shoulder about the cowboys (they offered him only 12 mill guarantied) but he's said nothing but good things about the players/coaches thats a good sign in my opinion as is the fact that he took less money to come here he clearly believes this team can contend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Happy enough with our draft. Thrilled we got Rowe in the second. Big tough corner is exactly what we need. Drafting Maclin 2.0 I'm less enthused about as id have preferred a speedier guy but then again who am I to question Kelly when it comes to selecting guys for his system.

Would love us to grab Hundley if we can in the 4th. Great value at that spot imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Would love us to grab Hundley if we can in the 4th. Great value at that spot imo.

If that's happens will Barkley be cut? Maybe not now but training camp?

Or is he being offered around the league for maybe a 2016 pick?

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Happy enough with our draft. Thrilled we got Rowe in the second. Big tough corner is exactly what we need. Drafting Maclin 2.0 I'm less enthused about as id have preferred a speedier guy but then again who am I to question Kelly when it comes to selecting guys for his system.

I'm pretty happy with both picks apparently agholor is a lot more a aggressive in the air than mac was. funnily enough rowe was asked at the senior bowl who the best player he played against was an he said nelson agholor
    mikemac1 wrote: »
    If that's happens will Barkley be cut? Maybe not now but training camp?

Or is he being offered around the league for maybe a 2016 pick?

ya barkleys on borrowed time by all accounts i doubt anyone would give up a pick for him he's shown nothing

not so sure about our 3rd rounder the guy looks like a really good player but can we really afford another guy with injury issues

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

nerd69 wrote: »
    not so sure about our 3rd rounder the guy looks like a really good player but can we really afford another guy with injury issues

There are a good few guys with injury worries in the past on the Eagles team now. Kelly must really like his sports science to keep them healthy.

irish_man wrote: »
    There are a good few guys with injury worries in the past on the Eagles team now. Kelly must really like his sports science to keep them healthy.

thats what i mean its one thing taking a chance on a player or two believing sports science can get you fixed its another entirely having this many players with a bit of a history

3 months ago there was rumours that evan mathis would be traded, that was bad enough but only now i read he's been Released instead.

ffs

• Advertisement

3 months ago there was rumours that evan mathis would be traded, that was bad enough but only now i read he's been Released instead.

ffs

Rumors where there last offseason as well but I never thought it would actually happen I guess Gardner is a starting guard now that makes me sad we should have drafted fisher

nerd69 wrote: »
    now that makes me sad

The last year makes me sad, DJax, Maclin, Shady, Foles, Cole, Herremans, and now Mathis all gone.

Actually now i'm very very sad

The last year makes me sad, DJax, Maclin, Shady, Foles, Cole, Herremans, and now Mathis all gone.

Actually now i'm very very sad

the last three in particular are killers for me cole and herremans are eagles legends and mathis is still a pro bowler.

the djax one is a pain as well even though he was an idiot kelly could have done great stuff with him i think we would have made the playoffs last year and beaten the saints in the wildcard the year before with him not to mention the difference he could have made insuring a safety stays deep with our power run offense this year (a power run offense that just lost a pro bowl guard)

to summarise :(

I think this is an awful move and chip has made a mistake as Mathis is a superb OL player that any team would like to have on their team. He is leaving himself less of the old "sure I didn't draft these players" excuse if it goes pear shaped. The roster has a chip kelly feel now so if it's **** it's his fault. Howie can't be blamed for this now. Well less of the blame

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I think this is an awful move and chip has made a mistake as Mathis is a superb OL player that any team would like to have on their team. He is leaving himself less of the old "sure I didn't draft these players" excuse if it goes pear shaped. The roster has a chip kelly feel now so if it's **** it's his fault. Howie can't be blamed for this now. Well less of the blame

i agree but the thing is people will make excuses if some of the many injury prone players he brought in get injured but there are so many of them injury prone I'm just not excited about this year. not to mention my main reason i thought we could be successful was a combination of a much Improved defense and a power run game behind that left side (peters,mathis,kelce) iv heard eagles staff and players raving over allen barbre but gardner looked average last year. our offensive line has gone from in my opinion this best in the nfl to an above average one.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭dave13

Sorry to see him go but he must have expected this.
    He's over 30 on a fairly generous contract, and was holding out for more money.

From the way the offseason has gone he can't have expected to get more, so unless he already has a place lined up i'd be surprised he he gets paid more somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭JerseyJoe

Someone will be desperate and overpay, surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If Mathis was as good as PFF reckons he is then surely we would have had someone nibble when he was up for trade. We obviously weren't looking for much...

Mathis is a good player but he gets to play in between Peters and Kelce. That imo has made him look better than he actually is. The staff seem really high on Babre and the comments from Peters show that he doesn't think Evan was anything special so i'm not overly worried. It doesn't mean Mathis isn't a good player but one that just wasn't worth the headache. Guard is the least important part of the line too, we have two stud bookends and a wonderful center. I think we'll be ok. You don't need to have the best line in football, just a good one.

Tbh i'm not too upset at any of the players we've let go. Desean was a cancer and McCoy is showing the world he's a little crazy. Both players are among the most exciting in the league but we brought in Chip to be Chip Kelly and run a Chip Kelly team. Those guys do not fit. A lot of his moves won't make much sense in a vacuum but he's going to do things his way and we're all in on him. And tbh i'm fine with that. Take a shot at the greatness rather than just going with the norm.

I think our overall success will be rest on two key questions. Can Sam Bradford be elite. I think that he has it in him but the injuries are a massive question mark. I don't think a qb needs to be Rodgers to put up Rodgers like numbers in a chip kelly offense and a healthy BRadford is MILES better than anybody Chip has had at qb so far. And the second is the secondary. It SHOULD be better... but you never know. Who would have thought that Namdi and DRC would be such a disaster when they were signed...

I'll tell you what player will hurt me when he goes tho, Kendricks. :( Guy is a stud in the making but there's something going on there for sure.

i think part of the reason he was not as in demand is he is very scheme specific he needs to be in a run zone team. i agree with you with you but my fear is less barbre as you have to trust he can do the job when theres this much positive feedback coming back my fear is more gardner or kelly on the other side.

also i dont necessarily agree with you with regards kendricks i do think chip would be open to moving him but only if we get a really talented young lineman or db back or if he feels we are getting a steal in the deal. as it stands though we have potentially one of the best front 7s in football and kendricks and alonso starting with mufasa coming of the bench is very exiting.

with regards bradford i think he is 10 times the qb any other qb chip has had but my big fear and the reason I'm finding it hard to get excited about this year is that on offence in particular i dont have a lot of faith on bradford, mathews and to an extent murray staying healthy :( if we have a full team healthy i think we can compete with anyone (although everyone does this time of year) but we could easily get multiple injuries early in the year and without those players i dont think we can compete with the cowboys and perhaps even the giants if they can sort out that o-line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Off Season finally over :cool:

Let's see what Bradford is like at long last.

Advertisement