Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Looser of Eagles Giants today is playing the Rams in London next year.

As much as it pains me, hoping for a loss today

does not pain me at all higher draft pick, easier schedule next year and i get to go see them in london

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

So guys who do we want to come in?

Personally i'm hoping for Gase or Payton. Gase in particular really intrigues me. He's gonna be in super demand this year I reckon but we're a top level job imo. There's some talent there and the owner has proven to be a good one imo and easy to work with...

Some might hate the idea but i honestly wouldn't mind McDaniels taking over either. It was on the GM side he was awful in Denver and he won't be getting that here. I think he's going to be a successful coach somewhere. Wouldn't mind it being here.

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    So guys who do we want to come in?

Personally i'm hoping for Gase or Payton. Gase in particular really intrigues me. He's gonna be in super demand this year I reckon but we're a top level job imo. There's some talent there and the owner has proven to be a good one imo and easy to work with...

Some might hate the idea but i honestly wouldn't mind McDaniels taking over either. It was on the GM side he was awful in Denver and he won't be getting that here. I think he's going to be a successful coach somewhere. Wouldn't mind it being here.

nobody sticks out to me to be honest gase i guess but i would love if there was a defensive guy that could make this d a monster unit. I'm not as sold on payton as others i certainly wouldn't give up a 2nd for him

edit:actually i know he was half run out of town last time but id be tempted by sean mcdermot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I'd prefer to give up a second (which we dont have now!) for Payten rather than roll the dice on the draft given our recent rate of successes with picks!

frostie500 wrote: »
    I'd prefer to give up a second (which we dont have now!) for Payten rather than roll the dice on the draft given our recent rate of successes with picks!

how recent? our picks have looked pretty decent to me to be honest for the most part outside of smith and we got matthews in the 2nd round of that draft.

does paytons recent alleged issues or the fact that he's only succeed (and not even that recently really) with a hall of fame qb worry you?

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    how recent? our picks have looked pretty decent to me to be honest for the most part outside of smith and we got matthews in the 2nd round of that draft.

does paytons recent alleged issues or the fact that he's only succeed (and not even that recently really) with a hall of fame qb worry you?

Agreed our drafts have been pretty good imo.

You could say that Brees didn't look like a HoF qb before Payton. A good one for sure but not remotely the guy he became. Also nobody (bar Sproles) has really left the Saints and done well.

Agreed our drafts have been pretty good imo.

You could say that Brees didn't look like a HoF qb before Payton. A good one for sure but not remotely the guy he became. Also nobody (bar Sproles) has really left the Saints and done well.

perhaps but he's also had a lot of really really bad defences and while i know he's offence based as a head coach with personal decisions thats on him I'm not saying he would be a bad hire by any means i just dont think he's the home run some people think he is

perhaps but he's also had a lot of really really bad defences and while i know he's offence based as a head coach with personal decisions thats on him I'm not saying he would be a bad hire by any means i just dont think he's the home run some people think he is

He hired Rob Ryan. I'd hope he wouldn't make that level of a mistake again.

Tbh i don't want a defensive HC at all. Unless you have a truly special D they arent enough to win. An amazing O can make up for a bad D. The opposite is rare enough imo. The rules just favour the passing game too much.

He hired Rob Ryan. I'd hope he wouldn't make that level of a mistake again.

Tbh i don't want a defensive HC at all. Unless you have a truly special D they arent enough to win. An amazing O can make up for a bad D. The opposite is rare enough imo. The rules just favour the passing game too much.

i think we have a potentially amazing d to be honest cb is the only area that were not **** hot in a 4-3 system.

as for offence id be happy enough to let pat shermer look after it

i think we have a potentially amazing d to be honest cb is the only area that were not **** hot in a 4-3 system.

as for offence id be happy enough to let pat shermer look after it

Not sure we have the olbs atm for a 43 but we do have a great line and some good safetys. We could maybe get some good picks for our abundance of ilbs. If we move to that would Hicks go olb next year??!

I don't want Shurmer near the team. We need to wipe the slate clean of the Chip era imo. (sadly)

• Advertisement

Not sure we have the olbs atm for a 43 but we do have a great line and some good safetys. We could maybe get some good picks for our abundance of ilbs. If we move to that would Hicks go olb next year??!

I don't want Shurmer near the team. We need to wipe the slate clean of the Chip era imo. (sadly)

i would put hicks in the middle and put kiko and kendricks outside i think that is an excellent setup hicks (albeit in less that one year) looks like a real leader iv said it before but to be calling plays on a defence as a rookie is incredibly impressive and kiko (if he gets another year of health under his belt and stops over pursuing) and kendricks(also over persuade this year) give us a trio of massively athletic lbs i would hate trying to get to the outside agains them and running up the middle agains cox and bennie? and a pass rush of graham and curry in there natural positions for a change :eek:

my only fear is a 4-3 may expose the safteys a bit more although i would hope the athleticism of our lbs would make up for that a bit and our cbs are a real potential weakness (rowe looked well for a rookie so heres hoping with him and i dont think maxwell is as bad as people think just a bit overpaid also jacorey sheppard who was supposed to take over from boykin should be back so lets hope chip was correct on that one) my biggest fear would be depth i dont know how our backups would fit on the 4-3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Payton is staying at the Saints anyway, thank **** because I think he's a scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

No - he was a disaster in all aspects of the job in Denver - from personnel decisions (bringing in a load of has-beens Pats players and the shambles around bringing in Cassel for Cutler) - to drafting (taking Tebow in the first round) - to coaching (after starting 6-0 the entire season fell apart and lost 8 of the last 10 including a hammering by the Chiefs in the last game in Denver and then losing 9 out of 12 the following season) - to the cheating which ultimately led to his sacking. The guy was arrogant and obnoxious and nearly destroyed the Broncos in the process. The guy is a good OC but he needs someone more arrogant and obnoxious to keep him in check.

No - he was a disaster in all aspects of the job in Denver - from personnel decisions (bringing in a load of has-beens Pats players and the shambles around bringing in Cassel for Cutler) - to drafting (taking Tebow in the first round) - to coaching (after starting 6-0 the entire season fell apart and lost 8 of the last 10 including a hammering by the Chiefs in the last game in Denver and then losing 9 out of 12 the following season) - to the cheating which ultimately led to his sacking. The guy was arrogant and obnoxious and nearly destroyed the Broncos in the process. The guy is a good OC but he needs someone more arrogant and obnoxious to keep him in check.

A lot of guys **** up the first head coaching gig they get the next team that gets him could get a star

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

McDaniels (who was only 33yrs old) was not ready to be HC (and still may not be ready). The fault of appointing him is on the Broncos and their front office. If all that required was someone with arrogance and obnoxiousness he would have succeeded in Denver.

A lot of guys **** up the first head coaching gig they get the next team that gets him could get a star
    No they won't - McDaniels will never make it as a head coach - he doesn't have the character for it. Anyone who appoints him will see him coming flying out of the blocks and then blow up.
    McDaniels (who was only 33yrs old) was not ready to be HC (and still may not be ready). The fault of appointing him is on the Broncos and their front office. If all that required was someone with arrogance and obnoxiousness he would have succeeded in Denver.

Absolutely it was the fault of the Broncos front office - more specifically the fault of Pat Bowlen - and he openly admits it was the biggest blunder he made as owner of the Broncos - the second biggest was not recognising the first blunder and sacking McDaniels 18 months earlier and avoid the infliction of so much damage on the Broncos organisation.

Bowlen, like many other owners, after a few years of poor performances, attempted to reproduce the 'Patriot Way' by hiring McDaniels - the problem is that you can only produce the 'Patriot Way' in Foxboro and if you have BB. Every other time it has been tried it has been a disaster. McDaniels doesn't know anything other than what he has learnt from BB and is incapable of reproducing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

McDaniels doesn't know anything other than what he has learnt from BB and is incapable of reproducing it.

McDaniels may have learnt a lot from his time in Denver. He was given far too much power and may succeed in a new role if he just focuses on being a HC. He's going to get another shot at some point; until then there's no way of knowing how he'll turn out.

McDaniels may have learnt a lot from his time in Denver. He was given far too much power and may succeed in a new role if he just focuses on being a HC. He's going to get another shot at some point; until then there's no way of knowing how he'll turn out.

He might have a chance of being a decent college HC (just like a couple of other BB clones) - in the NFL - no hope (a leopard doesn't change its spots)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

rumours among the Titans beat writers that working with Mariota is very appealing to McDaniels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

No they won't - McDaniels will never make it as a head coach - he doesn't have the character for it. Anyone who appoints him will see him coming flying out of the blocks and then blow up.

Absolutely it was the fault of the Broncos front office - more specifically the fault of Pat Bowlen - and he openly admits it was the biggest blunder he made as owner of the Broncos - the second biggest was not recognising the first blunder and sacking McDaniels 18 months earlier and avoid the infliction of so much damage on the Broncos organisation.

Bowlen, like many other owners, after a few years of poor performances, attempted to reproduce the 'Patriot Way' by hiring McDaniels - the problem is that you can only produce the 'Patriot Way' in Foxboro and if you have BB. Every other time it has been tried it has been a disaster. McDaniels doesn't know anything other than what he has learnt from BB and is incapable of reproducing it.

I love how you write of a coach based on a couple of seasons with your team as a HC early in his career. It is nonsense to say he will never make it as a HC. He is still only 39 and was only 34/35 when he joined the Broncos. He has plenty to learn and time to grow. Coaches learn as they go sometimes and jumping into the fire early to get a taste of a HC role always gives them a benchmark point of where they are at in their career.

There are plenty of Solid coaches out there both NFL and College that failed with teams early int heir careers as HC and jumped between roles for decades until they grew. McDaniels has plenty of long roads ahead of him and it is way too early in his career to say he will never make it as a HC.

• Advertisement

JCTO wrote: »
    There are plenty of Solid coaches out there both NFL and College that failed with teams early int heir careers as HC and jumped between roles for decades until they grew. McDaniels has plenty of long roads ahead of him and it is way too early in his career to say he will never make it as a HC.
    Yes there are plenty of coaches who failed early and then did a lot better the second time around - in fact there are few coaches that were able to do the job straight off the bat.

But there are also a significantly larger number of coaches that never learnt from their first stint and were never any good later. Out of the current 32 NFL teams 13 head coaches have more than 50 career wins as a HC - the most successful of the current crop of HCs and out of that 13 only 5 have a W/L record of better than 0.600

Even without all the other issues the odds are against McDaniels making a half decent NFL coach.

I have been a Broncos fan for well over 30 years - I have seen HCs, assistants and positional coaches come and go from the Broncos and from every other NFL team. Since Red Miller was Broncos HC - McDaniels was by far and away the worst HC - and the worst coach of any description in Denver - and in my experience was one of the worst HCs that I have ever seen in the game.

The guy has serious character flaws - flaws that don't disappear with experience. Now there are people with serious character flaws that have been good HCs - but none that have the attitude and approach that McDaniels displayed while in Denver.

McDaniels is a damned good OC - but he is not HC material. I am sure someone will take a punt on him - probably a team that are perennial losers - and McDaniels will probably put together an offence that will win some games off the bat - but it won't take too long for the whole thing to go off the rails and then the sh*t will hit the fan

Yes there are plenty of coaches who failed early and then did a lot better the second time around - in fact there are few coaches that were able to do the job straight off the bat.

But there are also a significantly larger number of coaches that never learnt from their first stint and were never any good later. Out of the current 32 NFL teams 13 head coaches have more than 50 career wins as a HC - the most successful of the current crop of HCs and out of that 13 only 5 have a W/L record of better than 0.600

Even without all the other issues the odds are against McDaniels making a half decent NFL coach.

I have been a Broncos fan for well over 30 years - I have seen HCs, assistants and positional coaches come and go from the Broncos and from every other NFL team. Since Red Miller was Broncos HC - McDaniels was by far and away the worst HC - and the worst coach of any description in Denver - and in my experience was one of the worst HCs that I have ever seen in the game.

The guy has serious character flaws - flaws that don't disappear with experience. Now there are people with serious character flaws that have been good HCs - but none that have the attitude and approach that McDaniels displayed while in Denver.

McDaniels is a damned good OC - but he is not HC material. I am sure someone will take a punt on him - probably a team that are perennial losers - and McDaniels will probably put together an offence that will win some games off the bat - but it won't take too long for the whole thing to go off the rails and then the sh*t will hit the fan

One of the worst HC in the NFL ever? Really? That is nuts to be fair.

It really doesn't how long you have been a fan or if you think he has character flaws you cannot write any coach off until especially young coaches until they have a good long career in the NFL.

Sure it might turn out that he is nothing more than a Coordinator when it all boils down but right now he has served as a HC for what 2 seasons and writing him off is nonsense in my eyes when he has plenty of time to evolve.

But hey that is your opinion and you are entitled to it but I disagree and the above is how I see it.

JCTO wrote: »
    One of the worst HC in the NFL ever? Really? That is nuts to be fair.

It really doesn't how long you have been a fan or if you think he has character flaws you cannot write any coach off until especially young coaches until they have a good long career in the NFL.

Sure it might turn out that he is nothing more than a Coordinator when it all boils down but right now he has served as a HC for what 2 seasons and writing him off is nonsense in my eyes when he has plenty of time to evolve.

But hey that is your opinion and you are entitled to it but I disagree and the above is how I see it.
    I have no problem with you disagreeing with me - but to suggest that because McDaniels only had two years in Denver (less than two actually - he was sacked after 12 games of season 2) he should not be ruled out as a coach with future HC potential is nonsense. It actually has nothing to do with how long he was with the Broncos - it was about what he did and how he did it - and the traits he displayed are not ones that someone like McDaniels can change.

It is worth noting that there has been a media attempt to rehabilitate McDaniels - things like touting he was good at drafting - which he wasn't - and I am sure that is designed to get him another opportunity at a HC job. I can see some of the nuttier owners taking a flyer on him - but not anyone who seriously looks at what people have done in the past.

Sorry Eagles fans I just realised this was your thread and my apologies. I will move my response over to the coaching change thread. I will say it would be interesting to see him in Philly and see if he has grown. You have the right type of players for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Reports saying Eagles want to speak with Tom Coughlin, what do ye lads think about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,875 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Reports saying Eagles want to speak with Tom Coughlin, what do ye lads think about that?

He'd get the players behind him definitely. Also given the fact that he didn't seem that happy with the Giants top brass at his press conference when he "stepped down" that he wouldn't like to have two cracks at the Giants ? Of course he would if nothing else but to show it in the owners faces.

just got sick a bit in my mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

I have to admit, iv'e been thinking about this since i read the reports earlier, and i'm finding it hard to say no to him to be honest, (and i'm trying really hard) theres not many better available, if any

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

If Coughlin really wants to coach again he'll get a chance...not sure I'd be thrilled with him taking the Eagles job. However our defence is hugely talented up front so that could be a major benefit for TC. If we can have a decent offence and upgrade the secondary we have a really strong roster that can go to the play offs. For all his faults, and his record over the last seven years has been poor, TC showed time again he can make things happen in the post season

• Advertisement

Don't want any part of Coughlan. Shocked we didn't go harder for Gase, Miami would be pretty much at the bottom of my wishlist if i was a hot commodity HC prospect.

Of those left who we're apparently interested in I've literally no idea who i'd want. Pederson has done a good job in KC. He's got the philly links... who knows.

Disappointed its not Gase or Payton.

Advertisement