Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

My bets on Sean McDermott now get a Jim Johnson disciple back in re building

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

So looking like its Doug... not so sure about it but then i was foaming at the mouth when we brought in Reid. Its literally a wait and see appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,875 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    So looking like its Doug... not so sure about it but then i was foaming at the mouth when we brought in Reid. Its literally a wait and see appointment.

Foaming at the mouth when big red arrived ? 1999 was my first season so I'd a pretty good run with the Eagles. How long are you a fan pyjamarama ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Foaming at the mouth when big red arrived ? 1999 was my first season so I'd a pretty good run with the Eagles. How long are you a fan pyjamarama ?

Since 1989, dads cousin from america came over and gave a 9 year old Pyjamarama an Eagles tshirt. I was hooked from the moment i first watched "American Football" (catchy title huh) on Channel 4. Watching Randall and Gang Green was awesome and got me used to the life of pain and suffering i was about to endure...

It was only about 6 years later when i found the tshirt buried in my mams hot press that I found out it was a Boston College Eagles tshirt... still despite it all i wouldn't change it for the world. The downs make the ups just that much better and Eagles fans are a special breed.

Very early but who do the want in the draft?

I Personally would kill for Ronnie Stanley but that would have to be a trade up or trade back and take in this order

Jaylon smith
    Conklin
    Decker
    Wentz

• Advertisement

nerd69 wrote: »
    Very early but who do the want in the draft?

I Personally would kill for Ronnie Stanley but that would have to be a trade up or trade back and take in this order

Jaylon smith
    Conklin
    Decker
    Wentz

Wentz if he's there but that seems unlikely. If there isn't a top QB prospect that we could get (or trade up without giving up the house) then BPA for me. A tackle to allow Lane to move to LT and Peters to move inside (assuming he's still here) would be good too.

Wentz if he's there but that seems unlikely. If there isn't a top QB prospect that we could get (or trade up without giving up the house) then BPA for me. A tackle to allow Lane to move to LT and Peters to move inside (assuming he's still here) would be good too.

Would you take nkemdichi if he was best player available? Looks like a monster and could drop but we have a pretty fantastic d-line as is a starting 4 of graham-Logan-cox-curry is bloody strong and that's not including barwin

Wets just signed a 5 year extension delighted with it I think he's been woefully underused.

Unfortunately the size of the deal makes it look like celek I gone though

So since Hicks is a combination of Miller and Keuchly I think its safe to say we're a lock for the superbowl next year!! :)

Joking aside these Foles rumors... what you guys think? He's awful but as a placeholder for a year while we develop Lynch... maybe not the worst. Would the new regime have the bottle not to put a rookie in when Foles throws his 4th pick in the opener tho?

So since Hicks is a combination of Miller and Keuchly I think its safe to say we're a lock for the superbowl next year!! :)

Joking aside these Foles rumors... what you guys think? He's awful but as a placeholder for a year while we develop Lynch... maybe not the worst. Would the new regime have the bottle not to put a rookie in when Foles throws his 4th pick in the opener tho?

• Advertisement

to be honest i think hicks is more a combination of miller keuchly and kal-el

**** its hard to say with regards a qb iv seen very little of lynch yet but the fact that he's the 3rd qb in whats meant to be a bad year for qbs is concerning. what do you make of him?

with regards foles i think he's an option if bradford leaves (in which case that 2nd we traded away will be a real kick in the balls) but i dont think we are likely to win a playoff game or probably even make the playoffs with him.

defence could be unreal under schwarz though i think thats the real cause for hope next year

to be honest i think hicks is more a combination of miller keuchly and kal-el

**** its hard to say with regards a qb iv seen very little of lynch yet but the fact that he's the 3rd qb in whats meant to be a bad year for qbs is concerning. what do you make of him?

with regards foles i think he's an option if bradford leaves (in which case that 2nd we traded away will be a real kick in the balls) but i dont think we are likely to win a playoff game or probably even make the playoffs with him.

defence could be unreal under schwarz though i think thats the real cause for hope next year

Lynch is raw. Talent is there tho. He can make wow plays with his arms and has runs where he looks like a top level prospect. The issue with him is consistency. I'd actually love to see him sit behind Sam for a year or two if we did draft him. Its maybe a bit old school but i think it would help him a lot. Our line could be pretty good (we need guards but they're usually the easiest to get and i honestly think Johnson is close to taking the step to being elite, he has dominant games already) and we have some weapons but they're inconsistent. If we could get a qb, let him sit and then manage to get a true no.1 wr we'd be in a great spot imo. We're not a million miles away from being a good team. The wheels just fell off badly this year.

While i do think its a weak enough class in regards to ready to go prospects I think the 3 that will go early all have the potential to be really good starters. I remember discussing if a qb should even be taken in the 1st round the year that Alex Smith went first... and in stacked years like when we drafted Donnie the majority ended up being busts (just donnie and Dante really did anything), so its hard to tell how a class will pan out. For the record i was DEVASTATED we didn't draft Akili Smith... :o I thought he was the second coming of Weapon X. I also called Cam Newton the next Jamarcus Russel having previously claimed that Russel would revolutionize the position with his ludicrous physical attributes. A QB guru it seems i'm not... (tho i did call Wilson being amazing, a more mobile version of Brees).

Lynch is raw. Talent is there tho. He can make wow plays with his arms and has runs where he looks like a top level prospect. The issue with him is consistency. I'd actually love to see him sit behind Sam for a year or two if we did draft him. Its maybe a bit old school but i think it would help him a lot.sounds good but i can't imagine him sitting for two years that only really happens when the team has an established qb. if we tried to sit a qb taken 13 overall it would be an impossible situation for any starter unfortunately Our line could be pretty good (we need guards but they're usually the easiest to get and i honestly think Johnson is close to taking the step to being elite, he has dominant games already) and we have some weapons but they're inconsistent. If we could get a qb, let him sit and then manage to get a true no.1 wr we'd be in a great spot imo. We're not a million miles away from being a good team. The wheels just fell off badly this year.
    i actually think this offence is set to be a very very good time management offence those 3 rbs along in a two tight end set (with ertz finally being used) could be a really serious offence. but the biggest thing i think is the defence if rowe can develop a bit and the players switch to a schwartz's 4-3 as i think they will the defence could be top 5 (also the likely time management offence will help them tremendously

While i do think its a weak enough class in regards to ready to go prospects I think the 3 that will go early all have the potential to be really good starters. I remember discussing if a qb should even be taken in the 1st round the year that Alex Smith went first... and in stacked years like when we drafted Donnie the majority ended up being busts (just donnie and Dante really did anything), so its hard to tell how a class will pan out. For the record i was DEVASTATED we didn't draft Akili Smith... :o I thought he was the second coming of Weapon X. I also called Cam Newton the next Jamarcus Russel having previously claimed that Russel would revolutionize the position with his ludicrous physical attributes. A QB guru it seems i'm not... (tho i did call Wilson being amazing, a more mobile version of Brees).

meh we've all gotten qbs right and wrong they are hard to predict i think the difference with that position is that if we get even an above average qb its well worth it it even with a mid to high first round pick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell gone to Dolphins
    DeMarco Murray gone to Titans

When I wake up in the morning are we going to have any players left :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    Kiko Alonso and Byron Maxwell gone to Dolphins
    DeMarco Murray gone to Titans

When I wake up in the morning are we going to have any players left :o

The Chip Kelly era is officially over with these roster moves! Maxwell was a disaster, as many feared he'd be, Murray wasnt put in positions to be successful and I'm disappointed to see Alonso go because I think that he could be a really good player once again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Didn't expect that trade!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

What'd we get for those trades anyone know ?

Murray / Maxwell, happy enough, but I liked Kiko when he was fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Fenix wrote: »
    What'd we get for those trades anyone know ?

Murray / Maxwell, happy enough, but I liked Kiko when he was fit.

Seems a 4th rd pick and swapped places in the 1st rd

So 8th pick

looks like the dolphins trade is swap of firsts and kiko and maxwell (new report saying that there is no first involved)

and its looking like murray to the titans involves at least a swap of 4th rounders

So we've been more active than I thought we'd be. And over paid... as is to be expected on day 1. I really wish we'd not really signed anyone and waited for better value but Howie is obv flexing those muscles.

Happy with both trades. We basically cap dumped and got better picks. Murray isn't a good enough pass catcher to play in our expected new offense.

Who do we target at 8 now? I think its likely too high for Lynch and i've a feeling that Doug thinks Daniels is going to win the competition.. I'd love us to grab Stanley if he's there. The more help we get on o-line the better and i'm not sold on Hargreaves at all tbh. If we take Zek i'll cry... f*ck running backs in the first.

• Advertisement

So we've been more active than I thought we'd be. And over paid... as is to be expected on day 1. I really wish we'd not really signed anyone and waited for better value but Howie is obv flexing those muscles.

Happy with both trades. We basically cap dumped and got better picks. Murray isn't a good enough pass catcher to play in our expected new offense.

Who do we target at 8 now? I think its likely too high for Lynch and i've a feeling that Doug thinks Daniels is going to win the competition.. I'd love us to grab Stanley if he's there. The more help we get on o-line the better and i'm not sold on Hargreaves at all tbh. If we take Zek i'll cry... f*ck running backs in the first.

Risk is that we lost our 2nd rd pick for this season by getting Bradford so could lose our Chance to get him, still sickened we let shady go, love to get him back but seems to be in trouble ATM, sproles would provide good rb cover but at 34-35 only so much gas in the tank

As you say Stanley, an OT would help Bradford big time on passing

Well lads...

Well lads...

Awful IMO, way too many trades to move up 6 places, can't see why, a qb is odd considering we signed Bradford and chiefs backup qb( can't think of his name) if we have a bad season we are screwed for the next season

Well lads...

Well ****

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Im not sure what to say, im still lost for words

Right.. so we have to look at this from the perspective of the front office.

a) the division is rubbish. We sign Sam, make the playoffs easy cause everyone else is so bad and the team get used to winning but Sam isn't gonna win us a Superbowl.

b) they think the two qbs are actually really good. They're not the only ones either. There were numerous teams looking to move up. If you think they're gonna become true stars then you gotta do your best to get them.

c) the plan is that we won't have a pick in the top 10 for a while under this regime (bar next year when the QB class is potentially even worse than this years), to get a franchise qb when you're picking outside the top 10 (and they'll have to be as they'll be fired otherwise) would cost way more. We were prepared to give the titans FAR more last year for Marcus.

thats the logic... I see it... I understand it... I still wouldn't make the move. Even if in reality its pretty much two 1st and a 2nd to move up to no.2 (our 4th for their 4th and i'm viewing the extra 3rd we had a pure trade material even if thats prob faulty logic). So we're down a 1st and a 2nd but we might end up with a franchise qb.

Logic is simply if he's a franchise guy he's worth it realistically we've not don't anything since we had donnie Mac so if he turns out to be him happy days of not were ****ed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Right.. so we have to look at this from the perspective of the front office.

a) the division is rubbish. We sign Sam, make the playoffs easy cause everyone else is so bad and the team get used to winning but Sam isn't gonna win us a Superbowl.

b) they think the two qbs are actually really good. They're not the only ones either. There were numerous teams looking to move up. If you think they're gonna become true stars then you gotta do your best to get them.

c) the plan is that we won't have a pick in the top 10 for a while under this regime (bar next year when the QB class is potentially even worse than this years), to get a franchise qb when you're picking outside the top 10 (and they'll have to be as they'll be fired otherwise) would cost way more. We were prepared to give the titans FAR more last year for Marcus.

thats the logic... I see it... I understand it... I still wouldn't make the move. Even if in reality its pretty much two 1st and a 2nd to move up to no.2 (our 4th for their 4th and i'm viewing the extra 3rd we had a pure trade material even if thats prob faulty logic). So we're down a 1st and a 2nd but we might end up with a franchise qb.

Explain the money given to Chase Daniel as backup QB. He'll now be 3rd choice and we're paying him good backup money. Also next year has Deshaun Watson. He's better than either Goff or Wentz.

Also, if Bradford was never the guy, why pay him such good money this year instead of leaving him go and go with a cheaper stopgap.We're going to have 30m spent on QBs this season. That's far too much considering other holes on the team, and all whilst our best player is going to be out of contract next year.

titan18 wrote: »
    Explain the money given to Chase Daniel as backup QB. He'll now be 3rd choice and we're paying him good backup money. Also next year has Deshaun Watson. He's better than either Goff or Wentz.

Not banking on a huge trade for the most important position in sports not to mention I imagine he's easily cut table next year knowing howie. (As is Bradford by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Not banking on a huge trade for the most important position in sports not to mention I imagine he's easily cut table next year knowing howie. (As is Bradford by the way)

16.5m in dead money to cut next year between the two of them. It'd be idiotic to do that.

Advertisement