Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,091 ✭✭✭✭ Cassius Easy Burglar

titan18 wrote: »
    16.5m in dead money to cut next year between the two of them. It'd be idiotic to do that.

Why would you cut both? Cut/trade one and keep the other as a backup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

titan18 wrote: »
    Explain the money given to Chase Daniel as backup QB. He'll now be 3rd choice and we're paying him good backup money. Also next year has Deshaun Watson. He's better than either Goff or Wentz.

Also, if Bradford was never the guy, why pay him such good money this year instead of leaving him go and go with a cheaper stopgap.We're going to have 30m spent on QBs this season. That's far too much considering other holes on the team, and all whilst our best player is going to be out of contract next year.

The money for the qbs only matters if impacts our ability to sign players we won't. I don't think it does. Also I don't think Watson is a slam dunk at all and there is no guarantee that we'd be remotely in a position to make a move for him. Say we end up with the 20th pick (not beyond the realms given that I expect our D to be decent) we'd never get up there for him.

The browns don't want a QB, they have their plan. And the Titans didn't want one either. what are the odds the team at the top next year doesn't want/need one?

I'm ok with us drafting a QB this year. We paid too much and personally i'd have preferred to sit tight but its not the ridiculous move that people make out. If our guy ends up being a franchise qb Howie will be smiling for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,010 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

i'm just putting this out there. The last time the eagles drafted no 2 overall it was a QB from syracuse and it didn't end up working out that bad.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    i'm just putting this out there. The last time the eagles drafted no 2 overall it was a QB from syracuse and it didn't end up working out that bad.

Thats the thing. None of the mid round qbs have been the answer. If you think a guy can be you go get him if its possible.

To this day i'll say that the Skins were right to go get RG3 that year. It didn't work out but it gave them a chance to be special and looked like it would work. How did those picks work out for the rams? Tons of superbowls?

if wentz becomes mcnabb then this the eagles won this trade plain and simple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

if wentz becomes mcnabb then this the eagles won this trade plain and simple

That's the thing. A big trade like this only works if you get a star. If in five years we look back and think 'Crap...we dont have a QB' this trade is a disaster. Now, in my mind, we had a QB with Bradford but clearly the Front Office are hell bent on remaking the roster and starting at the most important position. I'd have liked us to get a tackle or a speedy wideout with our number 8 pick but if Wentz (who we'll presumably get) is a great QB then it's all good for me

frostie500 wrote: »
    That's the thing. A big trade like this only works if you get a star. If in five years we look back and think 'Crap...we dont have a QB' this trade is a disaster. Now, in my mind, we had a QB with Bradford but clearly the Front Office are hell bent on remaking the roster and starting at the most important position. I'd have liked us to get a tackle or a speedy wideout with our number 8 pick but if Wentz (who we'll presumably get) is a great QB then it's all good for me

Don't think there was a WR close to worth that slot. Tbh outside of Zeke there wasn't anyone who I look at and think "he'll defo be a star" and Zeke is just a rb.

When you break it down, i'm not sure that its as bad a deal as I thought it was. We're really just missing a pick from each year for the next 3 years. The fact that its spread out to one each year will limit how much it will hurt out depth going forward too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Don't think there was a WR close to worth that slot. Tbh outside of Zeke there wasn't anyone who I look at and think "he'll defo be a star" and Zeke is just a rb.

When you break it down, i'm not sure that its as bad a deal as I thought it was. We're really just missing a pick from each year for the next 3 years. The fact that its spread out to one each year will limit how much it will hurt out depth going forward too.

Yeah there may not be a player of the right value at eight but this is a bit of a head scratcher for me. I really like Bradford and I think that is the main reason that I'm struggling to agree with this trade

The more I watch tape of Wentz the more I like. The fact that he'll get to sit for a year or two is a huge boon imo. Mayock rates Wentz and Goff on par with the two from last year and while he's hardly 100% accurate (who is) I hold his opinion in higher regard than random beat writers who cover the draft and have watched pretty limited tape.

The only part of our squad i'm worried about is our wrs tbh. I think our o-line when healthy will be good and I like our D (bar cb i suppose) but the wrs need to improve. Hoping Agholor can turn those flashes into something consistent.

The more I watch tape of Wentz the more I like. The fact that he'll get to sit for a year or two is a huge boon imo. Mayock rates Wentz and Goff on par with the two from last year and while he's hardly 100% accurate (who is) I hold his opinion in higher regard than random beat writers who cover the draft and have watched pretty limited tape.

The only part of our squad i'm worried about is our wrs tbh. I think our o-line when healthy will be good and I like our D (bar cb i suppose) but the wrs need to improve. Hoping Agholor can turn those flashes into something consistent.

ya we need rowe to grow in his second year but the defence around him looks amazing so that should help. aglahor i feel confident will grow in his second year he showed flashes last year and traditionally receivers have taken a year to grow anyway. matthews just needs to get rid of the early season hand issues he's had the last two years but i think he can be a number one outside.

I'm concerned about rb as much as anything ryan matthews needs to be healthy all year or barner needs to be what he showed in the preseason and early regular season last year

• Advertisement

looks like bradford has handed in a transfer request due to the trade. if that is the case then it says a lot about him. this would be the first time in his career he has any bit of competition (and that competition is chase daniels and a rookie qb that will likely sit out a year) and he's throwing a hissy fit, not exactly the attitude a starting nfl qb should have

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

looks like bradford has handed in a transfer request due to the trade. if that is the case then it says a lot about him. this would be the first time in his career he has any bit of competition (and that competition is chase daniels and a rookie qb that will likely sit out a year) and he's throwing a hissy fit, not exactly the attitude a starting nfl qb should have

If he does had in a transfer request, does that mean he forfeits his guaranteed cash or what is the story with that

Shocking stuff tbh. The job is still clearly his to lose. I don't see the downside for him here. If he plays well he'll get a monster deal somewhere else. Or if he somehow becomes the next Tom Brady then we ship out the rookie.

Hope we play hardball here anyway.

Hococop wrote: »
    If he does had in a transfer request, does that mean he forfeits his guaranteed cash or what is the story with that

Nope if this is true he just wants his cash and an easy starter job by the looks of it and will throw a tantrum if he does not get his way

Shocking stuff tbh. The job is still clearly his to lose. I don't see the downside for him here. If he plays well he'll get a monster deal somewhere else. Or if he somehow becomes the next Tom Brady then we ship out the rookie.

Hope we play hardball here anyway.

If this is true let him play it let him retire again if this is true **** him

Right I only caught something about bradford. I didn't know it was about a trade. So bradford clearly has a severe lack of confidence in his own ability if he doesn't feel confident he'll beat out chase daniels and a rook QB. Well if he doesn't want to be here then let him go.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Right I only caught something about bradford. I didn't know it was about a trade. So bradford clearly has a severe lack of confidence in his own ability if he doesn't feel confident he'll beat out chase daniels and a rook QB. Well if he doesn't want to be here then let him go.

Nope I'd be disgusted if we cut him I'd want a 2 or high 3 or let him stew ala Palmer

• Advertisement

Watched the first half of the condensed version at 5:30am and I've just watched the second half there.

Some good things that I took away. Bradford and the 1s looked good in the one drive they were together.

Carson wentz played okay and he got a good hand from the fans when he came in just before half time. It seemed when he doesn't get the throw right the ball sails on him and he threw one bad pick.

I'd like to thank the bucs rookie kicker for testing the structural integrity of the Linc goal post. :D:D

So some good stuff and not a lot of bad at least what I saw anyway. I mean nothing that I'd be concerned about with it being preseason.

Watching the colts game here. We've been pretty decent. When our wrs catch the ball we move it easily. Tho they're so unreliable. Sams interception 100% on Agholor, a smidge behind him but you gotta catch it.

DGB might never fulfill his potential but he's some redzone weapon.

Watching the colts game here. We've been pretty decent. When our wrs catch the ball we move it easily. Tho they're so unreliable. Sams interception 100% on Agholor, a smidge behind him but you gotta catch it.

DGB might never fulfill his potential but he's some redzone weapon.

Josh huff uv been waiting for him for two years

Wentz looked pretty good today. Will be good to see him make his NFL debut next week. I don't think playing the Browns counts.

We should ask the browns for their scouting reports and go with whoever they don't like.

Wentz looked pretty good today. Will be good to see him make his NFL debut next week. I don't think playing the Browns counts.

We should ask the browns for their scouting reports and go with whoever they don't like.

I've a buddy who didn't like wentz u till the Browns passed on him and that was enough for him to proclaim him a future hof'er :D

He proved today he can play at a D1 level which was a big critasism so that's nice

I've a buddy who didn't like wentz u till the Browns passed on him and that was enough for him to proclaim him a future hof'er :D

He proved today he can play at a D1 level which was a big critasism so that's nice

In fairness to Wentz the main knock is the competition level but the only reason he went to a small school is cause he was 5'10 leaving highschool. 7 inch growth spurt.

In fairness to Wentz the main knock is the competition level but the only reason he went to a small school is cause he was 5'10 leaving highschool. 7 inch growth spurt.

Apparently the overthrows are due to some mechanics that need to be fixed but outside of that he looks good in fairness iv seen multiple reports saying how he is a brainy guy and has a fantastic work ethic so hopefully he can become mcnabb quality he has all the tools anyway

Apparently the overthrows are due to some mechanics that need to be fixed but outside of that he looks good in fairness iv seen multiple reports saying how he is a brainy guy and has a fantastic work ethic so hopefully he can become mcnabb quality he has all the tools anyway

Yeah he's ludicrously intelligent. 4.0 grade average.. crazy. We'll prob still struggle this year as tbh outside of Matthews we have very little at wr, thats gotta be the area we need to target next summer. A good rookie qb makes a huge difference to our cap flexibility too.

Impressed with the run game today too. Mathews did well and Barner as a change of pace back looked electric. Sproles a case of the drops today which is unlike him (but like everyone else).

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

Wentz is the man!

• Advertisement

:D this is f*cking AMAZING!!! Literally beaming watching it. a perfect 3 quarters. This is possibly the best offense in the league and we're manhandling them.

Advertisement