Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Conor barwin cut as well so a bit of cap space cleared

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

really happy with free agency. in theory the wr corp is really well balanced (before the inevitable injury's/suspensions) with alshon being the big body receiver on the outside, smith being the speed guy on the other side to keep the safety honest and matthews and ertz causing all kinds of mismatches on the inside.

with regards the draft i think its likley 2 cbs in the first 3 rounds but i could see a jonathan allen,reuben foster,leonard fornette type falling and we can now go best player available. (the thought of oj howard in this offense also would be crazy but its probably to much to invest in a receiving corp in one offseason)

the one caveat is jeffery and matthews are both free agents next year and smith could easily not work out so we could be back to a bare cupboard pretty quickly worst case

We signed back nick foles, I don't think he was with a team last year so his contract should be low, that means chase daniels will be gone and a good bit of cap space freed up

Edit: I see he played 2 games with the chiefs, still will be a low wage hopefully

Hococop wrote: »
    We signed back nick foles, I don't think he was with a team last year so his contract should be low, that means chase daniels will be gone and a good bit of cap space freed up

Edit: I see he played 2 games with the chiefs, still will be a low wage hopefully
    2 years 11mill 7mill guaranteed you have to imagine they have a trade lined up for chase if that's the contract

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Delighted with our draft so far! I'd be lying if i said i wasn't hoping that the commish would call Allens name for our first pick but i trust our medical dept to make that call, especially when so many others did two. Still it could be a great pick for the skins.

Barnett is gonna be a good player tho. Might not be the most explosive athlete but he has great body control on his rushes and thats really hard to teach and more important than just being fast. His first step looks good but he did give away a fair few false start penalties in his college career. Will have to be careful with those. Still there's no rush for him to be a starter with Graham, Long and Curry there.

Jones would have been the top corner off the board (imo) if he was healthy and i'm not worried about his injury. He'll be training by midseason so while he might not contribute this year he'll have a head start on next and the tear was high up the leg so its healing super quickly and nobody seems to think that he won't come back 100%. Great chance that he ends up being the steal of the draft. Only 20 too, same as Barnett.

Douglas is less impressive (obv) but he's like a taller version of Mills with way better ball skills. Neither have top end speed but i reckon we'll be pressing a lot, trying to disrupt passing routes and giving the D-line time to get the pressure. If our line lives up to expecations the cbs job shouldn't be crazy hard anyway and Douglas might be the best route jumper in the class. He's a ball hawk.

Would love to see us go rb, wr and then some o-line depth tonight. I'm a big fan of Dupre from LSU. Kid was a STUD coming out of high school, is a high character guy and was just underused at LSU. Killed by bad qb play. Think he could be a really great no.2 guy in the NFL. If Dede Westbrook wasn't such a jerk he'd be a good choice as a slot guy too. He has game changing speed. At rb i'm hoping for Marlon MAck as i think he could actually be a total stud. If he adds a few pounds and keeps his speed he'd be a better prospect than some of the guys already chosen.

All in all its been a great draft but given how good the class is most teams can probably say that. 4th round choices this year would be 2nd rounders in most normal years. The depth is insane.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Joe Mixon

Great picks in the draft of Barnett and Jones. Also like the 4th round pick of Donell Pumphrey. For a running back he is small but he runs for days. If the Offensive line can make the gaps this kid will rack up the rushing yards

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

As the regular season approaches I might awswell give my take on the starters from mostly week 3 of the preseason. The WR look good and the running backs look good, wentz looks fine throwing the ball.

My only real issue is the interior of the OL. Jason Kelce and the left guard were taking the piss. Carson wentz was meant to play one half of the third preseason game but was pulled after one quarter because the OL couldnt block ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭thebeerbaron

Good start to the season. 1 up on a division rival. Will take a better performance next sunday to beat the chiefs. Wentz still learning but moving in the right direction. Giants looked really poor. Hopefully they stay that way for us in GW 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Just realised that, with only 4 games gone, we are already better on the road than we were last year. 2-1 this year compared to 1-7 in 2016 :P

EDIT: And we've won the same amount of divisional games, 2-0 this season compared to 2-4 in 2016!

The last two games since we have started leaning on the run we look a long more complete

• Advertisement

Any word on when Cox will return?

It's nice to see the NFC east standings at the October being so green at the top. The redskins and cowboys aren't out of yet, but the poor Giants couldn't win a raffle. If they can't beat chargers then it's certainly good night and safe home for the New York Football Giants.

nerd69 wrote: »
    The last two games since we have started leaning on the run we look a long more complete
    Definitely. 75% thrown balls in the first two games was madness, even though we still did quite well. Wentz was under far less pressure last week due to the run game being so effective (and Blount sitting down just about everyone when he gets going).
    Any word on when Cox will return?
    Pederson is hoping he will be back in training this week, but most likely not. So probably back for the game against the Redskins in 2 weeks.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It's nice to see the NFC east standings at the October being so green at the top. The redskins and cowboys aren't out of yet, but the poor Giants couldn't win a raffle. If they can't beat chargers then it's certainly good night and safe home for the New York Football Giants.
    To have any chance, Giants would most likely have to go at least 10-2 (11-1 due to the 0-2 divisional record really) and I just don't see that happening. They are gonzo. Cowboys haven't looked great and the Redskins were beaten by a fantastic Chiefs team and by us so, right now, it's between us and them I think.

The sooner we get our defensive secondary sorted the better. Too soft with it and that allows for teams to constantly move the chains and then they get tired in the 4th quarter and we concede a lot (50+ points in the 4th quarter combined in the 4 games, we have the lowest conceded from 1-3, only 33 points).

Optimistic for the season actually. Cardinals are definitely there for the taking this week, especially at Lincoln Field.

What a statement today by the birds. Dismantling a team that was great just two years ago, both sides hurt by injury but we dealt with it far better. That first quarter was something to behold too! And even Wenzt throwing the INT wasn't that bad, might as well have gone for it that late in the quarter with such a huge lead. First team in 17 games to rush 100+ yards against them too, so our running game is clearly something that will trouble some of the great defenses in the league, and Wentz is on fire.

Next two weeks are huge. Against the 4-1 Chargers next week and then Redskins the week after. Obviously, a win next week would be huge and a real sign that we can go deep into post-season. However, a loss doesn't hurt us either. The real big game is against the Redskins at home. Win (assuming we lose to the Chargers, though it's a toss up), we go 3-0 in the division and have a 2-0 win against the Redskins as well as being 5-2. Then two easy games at home before the bye week. So, even if we lose to the Chargers, beating the Redskins should put us 7-2 before our bye. Going to be hard to stop us.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    What a statement today by the birds. Dismantling a team that was great just two years ago, both sides hurt by injury but we dealt with it far better. That first quarter was something to behold too! And even Wenzt throwing the INT wasn't that bad, might as well have gone for it that late in the quarter with such a huge lead. First team in 17 games to rush 100+ yards against them too, so our running game is clearly something that will trouble some of the great defenses in the league, and Wentz is on fire.

Next two weeks are huge. Against the 4-1 Chargers next week and then Redskins the week after. Obviously, a win next week would be huge and a real sign that we can go deep into post-season. However, a loss doesn't hurt us either. The real big game is against the Redskins at home. Win (assuming we lose to the Chargers, though it's a toss up), we go 3-0 in the division and have a 2-0 win against the Redskins as well as being 5-2. Then two easy games at home before the bye week. So, even if we lose to the Chargers, beating the Redskins should put us 7-2 before our bye. Going to be hard to stop us.

Its the Panthers next week. ;)

But agree with pretty much everything you've said. Was a joy to watch today. So impressed that Big V came in for Lane and did such a good job. Feels unlikely Lane will clear concussion protocol by Thursday tho.

The deep ball is now hitting. That is HUGE. It means teams can't sit and just stop the run. If Torrey can get another deep one soon it's really going to take the top off the coverage. Currently it seems to always be slid to Jeffrey but if they have to sit a little deeper I think Alshon takes off. Crazy to go from no weapons at wr to just a really really good group. Not elite but with our line it doesn't need to be.

Also Brandon Graham you really are ridiculous. So underrated, he's a top 5 defensive lineman in the league imo. He's better than Fletch.

Ronald Darby coming back to this d could be huge we are a pretty complete team at the mo if our cbs are functional.

Peterson going to the run game has been massive for us and wentz. I hope we take a rb high next year

Was a savage game but Arizona have been a finished team since last year, no one has figured that out yet.
    Wentz is moving in the right direction and Blount had a great day! Maybe we wont sturggle without Sproles as much as I thought. Tough game coming up next, Carolina have finally get their game back together. Will be a tough one but I think we will be well able for the redskins.

Was a savage game but Arizona have been a finished team since last year, no one has figured that out yet.
    Wentz is moving in the right direction and Blount had a great day! Maybe we wont sturggle without Sproles as much as I thought. Tough game coming up next, Carolina have finally get their game back together. Will be a tough one but I think we will be well able for the redskins.

Rodgers going down is huge for us. Atlanta don't look that scary with Ryan being the old Matt Ryan and not the MVP Matt Ryan... we might be the most complete team in the conference now. Doesn't mean we'll win it but we look damn good right now.

If Darby comes back we don't even look that weak at cb.

So, Redskins just about claw themselves over the line against a very weak 49ers team. Doesn't bode too well for them for next week.

Speaking of the Panthers game, the scoreline doesn't show how good the Eagles actually were on the day. 120+ penalty yards against 1 yard for Carolina, including a pass interference call that boggled the mind seeing as how their player wasn't near where the ball was intercepted but hey, it happens. But the amount of calls given against us that were ignored when it was against them was a infuriating and the penalties kept them in the game.

Next Monday is a huge game. A pretty average looking Redskins tonight against a hungry Eagle teams at Lincoln Field is something to savour. We beat them, we go 6-1 and they are on 3-3 with a 0-2 record against us, meaning they'd really have to go at least 7-3, if not 8-2 to win the division. Also, with two home games after, including the 49ers, we could potentially go into the bye 8-1, which would be amazing.

Definitely a team to beat this year, which is something I haven't said in a while. Still, we are the Eagles :p

This team reminds me a lot of the team that lost to Larry fitz in the NFL championship game it's the last time I remember underrating a team this much coning into the year

• Advertisement

At home to Redskins Monday night, a win against them hopefully and hopefully we get passed the 49ers

Then we have the broncos which I thought was gonna be a loss, but after the Giants loss (this is a crazy season)who knows what will happen

At home to Redskins Monday night, a win against them hopefully and hopefully we get passed the 49ers

Then we have the broncos which I thought was gonna be a loss, but after the Giants loss (this is a crazy season)who knows what will happen
    It's worth noting the Broncos were coming off their bye week. Teams usually do struggle when that happens and, even though they are struggling, the Giants still have Eli Manning.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't know where you got that stat from but only 9 teams have a losing record coming off a bye week since 2003. The Eagles are actually second best over that time period behind the Patriots.

The teams with a losing record over that period are those that have been pretty poor for multiple seasons since 2003.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I don't know where you got that stat from but only 9 teams have a losing record coming off a bye week since 2003. The Eagles are actually second best over that time period behind the Patriots.

The teams with a losing record over that period are those that have been pretty poor for multiple seasons since 2003.
    Our season last year, 3-0 before the bye then downhill afterwards like!

Great game last night, struggled at the start but once they got motoring the redskins could not keep up. Hopefully the injuries dont affect the offense too badly. If they could start that well in the next few games will give us all the more chance to beat most of the opposition lined up for the rest of the season.

Great game last night, struggled at the start but once they got motoring the redskins could not keep up. Hopefully the injuries dont affect the offense too badly. If they could start that well in the next few games will give us all the more chance to beat most of the opposition lined up for the rest of the season.

9ers next week you would hope for a win and at 7-1 it would take a disaster to not make the playoffs so here's hoping iv started to miss being in the playoffs every year

Carson Wentz take a bow young fella. It started not great but that TD while being hit as he threw was magic and that throw to Mark Hollins after taking a hit. :D:D:D:D I'm however staying calm given the injuries last night and especially to the big man JP.

It's funny. Wentz seems like he has a bad game and then you look at his stats and they are still above average. It's going to be interesting between him, Brady and Wilson for MVP but, unlike the other two, he has a very complete team around him. 100+ rushing yards again, still to allow more than 100+ rushing yards against us (first time in 5 weeks it's been above 80 yards), receivers not putting up big numbers individually but with so many options to hit it's impossible for a secondary to get anything but 1 on 1 match-ups on everyone. Lots of positives to take from the game.

Good win today, the defense was massive again. Today, however, showed how big a loss Peters was. Sure, Wentz seemed a bit sluggish, especially in the first half, not getting rid of the ball despite having 5+ seconds at times, but still, he was getting smacked a lot. The pick was a silly play too, I know it was from pressure but Wentz has got to be able to read when to check down, especially with a 20 point lead.

Onto this video, it shows % chance of Eagles wins. Man, the 42% at Dallas seems low. They seemed quite sluggish today against the Redskins, who just can't seem to get it done in the redzone when they are under pressure. Not including the last TD, Dallas had two TD's, one that was basically a 10 point swing which deflated Washington and the other was well worked. If the Redskins beat up defense can contain them, so can we. Especially as Elliot is far and away there biggest weapon and we have the second best rush defense in the league. Very much a 50-50 toss-up.

Anyway, Broncos next week at home. Will be interesting to see how they do against the Chiefs later but confident we can beat them and go into the bye 8-1. Then that big SNF game with The Cowboys followed by what may be the key match-up in deciding the number 1 seed for the NFC, us at Seattle. Good times to be an Eagles fan though!

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    It's funny. Wentz seems like he has a bad game and then you look at his stats and they are still above average. It's going to be interesting between him, Brady and Wilson for MVP but, unlike the other two, he has a very complete team around him. 100+ rushing yards again, still to allow more than 100+ rushing yards against us (first time in 5 weeks it's been above 80 yards), receivers not putting up big numbers individually but with so many options to hit it's impossible for a secondary to get anything but 1 on 1 match-ups on everyone. Lots of positives to take from the game.

Good win today, the defense was massive again. Today, however, showed how big a loss Peters was. Sure, Wentz seemed a bit sluggish, especially in the first half, not getting rid of the ball despite having 5+ seconds at times, but still, he was getting smacked a lot. The pick was a silly play too, I know it was from pressure but Wentz has got to be able to read when to check down, especially with a 20 point lead.

Onto this video, it shows % chance of Eagles wins. Man, the 42% at Dallas seems low. They seemed quite sluggish today against the Redskins, who just can't seem to get it done in the redzone when they are under pressure. Not including the last TD, Dallas had two TD's, one that was basically a 10 point swing which deflated Washington and the other was well worked. If the Redskins beat up defense can contain them, so can we. Especially as Elliot is far and away there biggest weapon and we have the second best rush defense in the league. Very much a 50-50 toss-up.

Anyway, Broncos next week at home. Will be interesting to see how they do against the Chiefs later but confident we can beat them and go into the bye 8-1. Then that big SNF game with The Cowboys followed by what may be the key match-up in deciding the number 1 seed for the NFC, us at Seattle. Good times to be an Eagles fan though!

Still a chance of Zeke getting suspended

• Advertisement

Still a chance of Zeke getting suspended
    Firstly, it's the Cowboys. I can see them manage to get the injunction and kick the suspension down the road ala Brady and "Deflategate". Secondly, I'd much prefer to have our defense go up against him. As I said in the week thread, you want to see your team against the best opposition. Will be the measuring stick of whether or not we are contenders this year.

Advertisement