Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭nerd69

wow we got chip talk about coming out of nowhere.

what do we think lads?

personnaly i know he may not pan out (just look how succesful nick saban is in college and how he did in the nfl) but its a very exciting hire i dont think he will bring his spread to the nfl (bar a play here and there) we are probably looking at a no huddle offence though. i guess the most important thing is hes shown he can be a fantastic inovator on the offensive side we have some pieces that can excel if put in the right position and i believe he has the ability to put them there

now the d-coordinator is going to be nearly as big a hire as the hc was as we need someone of simular mind on the other side of the ball.
    im a bit worried at the reports suggesing that we are switching to a 3-4 as i think we have some ideal personel for our 4-3 and players like ryans and cole may not transfer to a 3-4 at all

either way very exciting offseason ahead all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

nerd69 wrote: »
    personnaly i know he may not pan out (just look how succesful nick saban is in college and how he did in the nfl) but its a very exciting hire i dont think he will bring his spread to the nfl (bar a play here and there) we are probably looking at a no huddle offence though. i guess the most important thing is hes shown he can be a fantastic inovator on the offensive side we have some pieces that can excel if put in the right position and i believe he has the ability to put them there

That's the thing about Kelly. We've no idea how he'll work out. He could be fantastic or terrible! In saying that I have a lot of confidence in him and think that he'll do a great job of introducing a lot of new techniques to the NFL.

As far as his system is concerned he'll definitely base us on the spread. The spread is a very common system in the NFL now (look at what New England have used for most of the last seven or eight years) and with the players available to Kelly-DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin and Brent Celek-we have speed at the WR and TE and RB with Shady and Brice Brown we should be well placed for transitioning to Kelly.

The big question is who will QB the team. You'd have to fancy Vick's chances of staying on if Kelly looks to employ a dual threat QB but Foles showed that he can make all the throws and was good at moving inside the pocket last year

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

If you guys already have this then, apologies.

A little insight into your new HC. Is the job too big for him? Time (and the draft) will tell.

http://fishduck.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Chip-complete.pdf

Jets just hired Marty as there iv talk about an organisation that can't make a good decision

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

What are lads views on Vick staying on for another year, I think its good news.

Like i said on the banter thread, with a better Offensive line, he has all the weapons he needs to get them to the playoffs, he just needs better protection.

• Advertisement

What are lads views on Vick staying on for another year, I think its good news.

Like i said on the banter thread, with a better Offensive line, he has all the weapons he needs to get them to the playoffs, he just needs better protection.
    He's not a good enough decision maker for any type of option offence. Reports are he's getting payed 10mil for the year I think that money could be better spent but I guess it can't hurt we've carried over a lot of cap from last year and I think the organisation will be slow to go mad in free agency again.

All in all it's a meh move I guess his big arm could be useful with desean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Eagles sign Superbowl winning QB to their roster :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

I think Dixon should be a decent 'no-risk' signing, when* Vick gets himself injured they can bring on a like minded QB without having to change the offence or game plan.

I presume they will be hoping Dixon doesn't have to play a down all season. Think they'll trade Foles as well, be lucky to get a 3rd round.

* yes, when.

Fenix wrote: »
    I think Dixon should be a decent 'no-risk' signing, when* Vick gets himself injured they can bring on a like minded QB without having to change the offence or game plan.

I presume they will be hoping Dixon doesn't have to play a down all season. Think they'll trade Foles as well, be lucky to get a 3rd round.

* yes, when.
    I still question Vicks decision making people look at his speed for the origon o but decision making is probably more important again

ok lads time for a bit of eagles offseason chatter the big dates for me are

combine 20-26th

who are ye most interested in seeing in this luke j and star are the obvious people to watch but there are a few others im interested in

jesse williams nt - big buzz around him here in oz( for obvious reasons) he is an animal could break the bench press record at the combine and looks like he could be a stud nose tackle in the nfl if we are switching to 3-4 i could see him dropping to our 2nd round pick due to all the d-linemen in this years draft and i would jump on him

kenny vacarro saftey- dont think he will fall to us but i would love to see him in green

jonathen cypryen saftey(no idea how to spell it)- could be there for our 3rd hard hitting saftey in the mold of a dawkins but we have missed on saftey a lot in the last few years given where he came from i think tom gamble should be a fantastic talent evaluator so he should get us a good saftey

any other top 3 round saftey - our biggest position of need if we dont pick someone up were screwd

geno smith qb -huge combine for him it would not shock me if we took him if hes there at 4

dee milner cb - i dont want him i think hes going to be drafted to high and alabama cbs have not been great (see dre kirkpatrick) if he runs a good 3 cone drill and 40 i would be a little more comfortable

manti teo mlb - the big storyline of this offseason ignoring the fake girlfriend thing he played piss poor against bama and he needs a good combine to reassure people he can handle nfl linemen and rbs (also i have no doubt every interview he does will be leaked)

derrick rodgers wr - looks like the big red zone wr we need at 6,5 he can jump and hes quick he could drop to the 3rd due to character issues but could be worth the risk for us

travis kelce te - could our center jasons kelces brother end up here seems to be the number 3 te in the draft after tyler e and zack erts having his bro here could help in getting to buy in to the eagles organisation quickly and our new hc is apperintley a fan of multiple tight end sets also if celek has another off year he could take over next year he should be there in the 3rd

• Advertisement

the next big event for me is

Free agency 12th march

for me the most important thing in free agency is to pick up a veteran saftey we can draft another saftey and hopefully that will sort us out for the year if we dont pick up at least one very good safety we are in serious trouble

heres a few safety options first

jairus byrd - would be a great addition but i think the bills franchise him i would be delighted if we got him just cant see him hitting free agency. also as a former oregon player he may have a soft spot for chip kelly.

dashon goldson - again cant see him hitting free agency hes looking for about 8 mil a year and the tag number is only about 7.5 so the niners should jump on that

louie delmas - a good safety when hes healthy but seems to be injured more often than not probably to much of a risk we have picked up a few injury ridden safetys in the last while (ie. marlin jackson) and they never seem to work out

william moore - the falcons will try to resign him but i could see him hitting free agency hes young and has the potential to be a pro bowl safety i would love if we got him if he hits free agency expect him to be top priority

charles woodson - if we resign drc and draft a cb like dee milner or xavier rodhes or even a young saftey woodson would be a great pick up he could retire he has won pretty much everything he can but a former defensive mvp and i think the last defender to win a heisman would be great for our guys to learn off. hes also still a good player if he decides to stay on hes got a good season or two at least left in the tank.

patrick chung - if the eagles dont want to spend big money on a safety chung could come relativley cheap. hes a good player (certainley a big upgrade on what we have) and would slot in pretty easily) also at only 25 he could cover us for at least another 5-6 years if he pans out.

now other players big free agents this year

jake long (LT) - a big name that was one of if not the best lt in the league but hes had a bad run of injuries and is not the man he was i wouldnt mind having him here if he could be got cheap but i fear his name and previous production could get him a big contract (could go to the boys if they can clear some cap room)

sean smith,derek cox, carey williams (CB)- if we dump nnamdi we could try to pick up the cheapes of these 3 (provided we dont draft a cb) none are spectacular but they can all play decent on the outside.

anthony spencer (OLB)- if we move to a 3-4 front this guy was a stud last year (outplayed demacus ware in my opinion) he will want big money but insuring he does not resign with a division rival could make him worth a bit extra

paul kruger, conner barwin (OLB) - both players could help us move to 3-4 (if we do) barwin could come cheap after a poor year and kruger might cost to much due to just winning a sb

randy starks,richard semore (NT)- again if we change to a 3-4 we will need a nose tackle i think this years draft is deep at nt so we should go there but if not these guys could fill in for a year or two

andre levitre(RG)andre smith(RT)- if we dont draft a lineman in the first we should get one of these guys it would instantly turn our o-line into a strenght and the line would be as follows
    either: peters,mathias,kelce,levitre,herrimans
    or preferably: peters,mathias,kelce,herrimans,smith

dwayne bowe (WR)- i cant see us commiting enough money to him as wr is not a need but if we did get him he would give us our big wr to compliment d jax and maclin.

I should start by saying that I don't have anywhere close to the American Football knowledge of 99% posters here. I really enjoyed watching it in my younger years but stopped for reasons unbeknown to me. Just started watching again this past couple of years and properly this past season. I picked the Eagles back then and I'm nothing if not loyal!

Anyway, that being said, I haven't watched any college ball (gonna try to pick that up too) so don't have much of a clue about the talent on offer aside from reading articles / mock drafts.

I can say though, that I really wouldn't mind seeing 4 new faces on the secondary next year, Asomugha was awful, DRC not much better and I felt like he wasn't really interested sometimes, would love us to pick up a good safety in the draft but think we'll end up going for someone the free agency.

What would the chances be of trading back and still being able to pick up Dee Miliner? I like him but #4 seems like a reach.

Also, post 1000! Only took me 13 years.

so ignoring the draft for a second this would be my hope after fa with our first pick either being luke j instead of smith at rt(or swap him to lt and put peters rt) or put star nt in a 3-4

on defence
    4-3:

graham,cox,jennings,cole

drc
    draft pick,ryans,kendricks----draft pick/fa/nnamdi

draft pick/fa--woodson

3-4:

cox,dp/fa/,jenkins

drc
    graham,kendricks,ryans,dp/fa
    dp/fa/nnamdi

dp/fa
    woodson

offence

maclin
    peters,mathias,kelce,herrimans,smith,celek----avant
    d jax
    foles
    mccoy

il do the draft later in the week gota run to work now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I wouldn't pick up Woodson tbh, there is a reason we released him. He will be not up to much in his remaining time in the nfl ala Saturday in my belief. Good in the way of a ryan giggs at united, great for training the younger talent but not somebody you'd want starting week in and out

Arawn wrote: »
    I wouldn't pick up Woodson tbh, there is a reason we released him. He will be not up to much in his remaining time in the nfl ala Saturday in my belief. Good in the way of a ryan giggs at united, great for training the younger talent but not somebody you'd want starting week in and out
    That's a pity always been a fan of his

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Aye but when you take into account his time off last season and his age, he really didn't make an impact on our D when he returned. In fact we were more impressive without him. Like I said good for training the new talent if can be gotten for a good price

Any particular podcasts or the like you lads can recommend? Be it Eagles specific or NFL in general?

Any particular podcasts or the like you lads can recommend? Be it Eagles specific or NFL in general?

i find the first take and mike and mike podcasts good the one thing i will say is you can generally listen to one maby two a week and a lot of the rest is just repeating the same thing

with regards an eagles specific one i know dave spadero used to do one its only ok but its probably the best out there the big advantage dave has is he runs the eagles official website so he chats to howie,chip etc quite a lot but he tends to try to put a positive spin on everything because of it

if your looking for eagles articles Sheil Kapadia is one of the better eagles guys iv come across not sure if he has a podcast though

Arawn wrote: »
    Aye but when you take into account his time off last season and his age, he really didn't make an impact on our D when he returned. In fact we were more impressive without him. Like I said good for training the new talent if can be gotten for a good price

it could be worth bringing him in for that alone we will either have two new safteys in there or a new guy and nate allen who could still be decent with a bit of mentoring. im finding it less likley we land a top s in free agency as time goes on

Cullen Jenkins and Mike Patterson released...

@ZBerm
    Of the "DTs" on Eagles roster, all have base salaries less than $1m. In terms of resource allocation, Eagles have flexibility at position

Out with the old....

• Advertisement

Cullen Jenkins and Mike Patterson released...

@ZBerm
    Of the "DTs" on Eagles roster, all have base salaries less than $1m. In terms of resource allocation, Eagles have flexibility at position

Out with the old....
    I'm not to worries I'm supprised about Jenkins but not Patterson either way there's so much depth at dt tho year we will probably take one in the top 3 rounds (Maby even one with the no 4 pick) and someone to develop in the later rounds

Worst case scenario of we only take one we stil have Dixon,Thornton and Mabey landri who are all decent to good tackles Thornton in particular coil develop into a very good player

And of coarse we have a star in cox

So as of now we have
    Cole,Thornton,cox,graham in a 4-3
    Or
    Cox,Dixon,Thornton/cole in a 3-4

A few reports were suggesting that Nnamdi would be released today... Closely followed by a few more saying they were false.

Regardless of weather it's today or not, looks like his eagles days are numbered. Largely disappointing stint in Philly.

A few reports were suggesting that Nnamdi would be released today... Closely followed by a few more saying they were false.

Regardless of weather it's today or not, looks like his eagles days are numbered. Largely disappointing stint in Philly.
    I can't understand why he wouldn't restructure his contract I can't imagine people will be lining up for him now

I still wouldn't mind him as one of our starting Cbs if we get a good saftey behind him he's not a shutdown corner any more but I think his major issue has been lack of speed he could still be decent in a cover two

Looks like we're looking for 2 new outside cbs and 2 new safety's this offseason while also changing our d to what is basically a 3-4
    Unless Kelly gets this offense destroying teams or we have a lights out offseason we could be looking at another high pick next year

so interesting offseason so far i think were actually after making a smooth enough switch to a 3-4 our d right now should be as follows

d-line: cox,sopoaga,an other
    lbs: barwin,kendricks,ryans,graham
    cbs:bradley,williams,boykins
    safteys: phillips,chung

needs on d:

d-line:so we need another end trent cole may be abel to fit in there but hes a bit light for a 3-4. sopoaga is not a stud but is very talented and should help whatever d-lineman we draft develop,cox is a stud

lb: barwin and graham should be great rushing olbs but we need a guy that can cover if we are rushing both of them every play we will be picked apart. dion jordan is possible here and i think barwin and graham can rip teams apart rotating on the other side. the formations should suit kendricks down to the ground he will probably stick to a tight end on 70% of plays and ryans can concentrate on the rb

secondary: our corners are servicable i think we will but bradley on the main reciever as he seems to handle big guys better than williams and loves to get physical. williams should be very good on a second reciever and boykins is a talented slot corner. my big concern is saftey phillips is pro bowl caliber when healthy but hes been riddeled with injuries i have more faith in vick staying fit than him so we need a backup there. chung is a good in the box saftey strugles in coverage but he should be good if used correctly.

i am also thrilled with the james casey signing i have a buddy whos a texans fan says hes been used wrong by them and he has huge potential in the chip kelly offence

most importantly no huge names came in als namdi we dont need them in the middle of a rebuild we have gotten mostly young players a good draft should see us compeating for a weak nfc east next year.

in the draft i would like
    1st:fisher,star
    2nd:ej manuel,best saftey available
    3rd:jenkins

@ Nerd

Do you think we'll pick up Smith if hes still on the board @ 4?
    I actually hope we don't, while I think hes a decent QB prospect, there will be much more QB depth next year, and too much talent to turn away in other areas.

What id like to see

1. Fisher / Floyd
    2. Elam (best available S)

@ Nerd

Do you think we'll pick up Smith if hes still on the board @ 4?
    I actually hope we don't, while I think hes a decent QB prospect, there will be much more QB depth next year, and too much talent to turn away in other areas.

What id like to see

1. Fisher / Floyd
    2. Elam (best available S)
    Smith is a possibility and while it wouldn't be my first choice I think he will pan out as a good qb for 10 years so it wouldn't be a wasted pick but chip has already stated he feels a stud qb is not needed to win the sb

Most likely we take jockel/fisher depending who the chiefs take. floyd is unlikely I think if we take a d-lineman star is the most likely option as he can slide to nose when sopoiga leaves. floyd would only be able to play end in a 3-4.

Our second round pick will be interesting top safety available makes sense but with the depth in this years draft I think someone big gona slide to the 2nd and we get tempted by them also Rambo should still be available in the 3rd or honey badger in the 4th

Bacari Rambo or John Jenkins is my pick in the 3rd

Also I think we use our "interest" in geno as leverage to get an extra pick Maby a 2nd from someone like the cards

If thats the case, i really hope it works tbh, not sacrificing much in the 1st for someone we could be feigning Interest in, for 2 in the 2nd with serious depth would be a big plus.

that new receiver we signed is very interesting hes 6 foot 7 and runs a 4.4 forty he caught 8 passes for 157 yards in the first games of 2011 and then got injured and has been rehabing since. given our horific red zone record he could be a valuable addition (not getting ahead of myself hes just interesting)

i keep changing my draft picks chip is an unpredictable guy at the mo im thinking

1-fisher or dion jordan
    2-jesse williams or tyler eifert if either falls to us here

i still believe we will trade back a few spots even if its only for a 3rd or 4th rounder unless luke j or fisher are there

• Registered Users Posts: 39,878 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

nerd69 wrote: »
    that new receiver we signed is very interesting hes 6 foot 7 and runs a 4.4 forty he caught 8 passes for 157 yards in the first games of 2011 and then got injured and has been rehabing since. given our horific red zone record he could be a valuable addition (not getting ahead of myself hes just interesting)

i keep changing my draft picks chip is an unpredictable guy at the mo im thinking

1-fisher or dion jordan
    2-jesse williams or tyler eifert if either falls to us here

i still believe we will trade back a few spots even if its only for a 3rd or 4th rounder unless luke j or fisher are there

He might be 6 foot seven and yes the redzone has been awful but can he actually catch the football ? He can be as tall as you want if he can't catch the ball.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    He might be 6 foot seven and yes the redzone has been awful but can he actually catch the football ? He can be as tall as you want if he can't catch the ball.

He was relatively new to the game but showed huge improvement before his injury we won't know till we see him but he has huge potential particularly with this team

Advertisement