Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on estate agents

Options
  • 20-03-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭

I am sticking an offer on a house tomorrow in Clonee, however the estate agent will not pass on the offer as they stated that the minimum was 10k above my offer.

My question for people, particularly in D15 is, if I make a formal written offer, is an estate agent obliged to pass on my offer to the property owner?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭782378

When I had my house for sale I told the Estate agent the absolute minimum I could accept due to a large negative equity shortfall.

I was constantly getting offers below my minimum and eventually told the Estate agent that I didn't want to hear about any offers below this minimum. I did my calculations and couldn't afford to let it go at a lower price as I wouldn't be able to afford deposit for new house.

Maybe they have instructed their Estate agent similarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Is the house occupied. If so call round and speak to the owner.

If the house is rented, I think the owners details have to appear on the PRTB website. Likewise, if so, ignore the Estate Agent and speak with the organ grinder.

Also, there are millions of houses for sale in Clonee and elsewhere. The EA is trying to get you to put in a bigger offer. That's his job. He's not your friend. He is employed by the seller to get the best price for the house that he can. That's his job pure and simple.

When you make your offer, don't keep ringing him to see if the offer is accepted. That shows you are anxious. In these times the seller has a lot more to be anxious about.

If you really want to act the maggot, gazunder him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Viewed a house a few years back in D15 meet the owner with the E.A and liked the house, as we were leaving the owner stopped me and asked "are you interested in buying" said I was, he said he would sell at a certain price below the reserve but had to be today as he was fed up waiting, he gave me his number, E.A didn't hear the conversation.
    Spoke to OH and I rang the owner to see if we could come back up as OH wanted to see the house.
    We hammered out a price between us and I said I would put in the offer to the E.A. which I did an hour later.
    Owner rang E.A. to see if an offer had been put in and was told no.
    He rang me back "whats going on"?
    Long story short, I bought the house at the price and the E.A had to wave the charge of the sale.
    Don't trust them blindly, I'll pm the E.A to you, still working in D15.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tell the E.A. that the offer isn't being improved and don't contact them again - I'd imagine they'll be in contact fairly shortly if there isn't a situation like the first response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

I am not 100% sure about this but I think if you put in an offer in writing addressed to the owner the EA is obligated to pass it on

• Registered Users Posts: 23,520 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Asfaik they legally have to pass on all offers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭chucknorris

The owner of this house is the bank ;)

I am sending a formal offer today.

Thanks for all of the advice ;)

Appreciated!

The owner of this house is the bank ;)

I am sending a formal offer today.

Thanks for all of the advice ;)

Appreciated!

Good luck, would love to hear how you get on

• Advertisement

realgirl wrote: »

I'll keep you all posted.

It's best if people spread the facts on these situations ;)

realgirl wrote: »

I'll keep you all posted.

It's best if people spread the facts on these situations ;)

So, how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zulfikarMD

nudger wrote: »
    Viewed a house a few years back in D15 meet the owner with the E.A and liked the house, as we were leaving the owner stopped me and asked "are you interested in buying" said I was, he said he would sell at a certain price below the reserve but had to be today as he was fed up waiting, he gave me his number, E.A didn't hear the conversation.
    Spoke to OH and I rang the owner to see if we could come back up as OH wanted to see the house.
    We hammered out a price between us and I said I would put in the offer to the E.A. which I did an hour later.
    Owner rang E.A. to see if an offer had been put in and was told no.
    He rang me back "whats going on"?
    Long story short, I bought the house at the price and the E.A had to wave the charge of the sale.
    Don't trust them blindly, I'll pm the E.A to you, still working in D15.

I have exactly same experience with EA D15 while making offer for 3 ned semi-detached in Luttrellstown, D15. Could you please PM me EA details you dealt with? also, is it ok to go directly to the house owner/seller by-passing the EA? any legal issues on that?

I'm now sale agreed folks :) happy days, hopefully no snags but got myself a really good deal.

I'm now sale agreed folks :) happy days, hopefully no snags but got myself a really good deal.

Brilliant, hope it all goes well for you, exciting times!

Advertisement