Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA Recruitment Abroad

Options
  • 20-03-2012 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi lads.
    I am graduating from college in May and am looking for a job. I would like to live abroad for some time though and was just wondering if anyone knew of any GAA clubs across Europe or in North America that help you to obtain employment. I play both Hurling and Football to a high enough standard (I'm not an inter county player though) and would be interested in playing for a club abroad.
    So if any of you know of any such clubs I would be grateful if you could send me on contact details.
    Thanks all!
    Gav

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gavmurf89

Bump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Most clubs will sort you out. If you want a construction job you'll be guaranteed work, if its something else they might be able to help with contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

I emailed some clubs at the start of the week about joining them for the summer but I got no reply. I got the contact details from their website. Is there any other way I should go about contacting them?

courty08 wrote: »
    I emailed some clubs at the start of the week about joining them for the summer but I got no reply. I got the contact details from their website. Is there any other way I should go about contacting them?

Where are you hoping to go, and what type of work are you hoping for? Even if I have that much info I might be able to give you a little more direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Got in touch with one before via e-mailing. Good thing to do, will help you get settled and due to the fact they live out there will have sound advice with regards to accommodation and work; they may even sort you out with regards to either of those if you're lucky. At the very least you'll make a few friends and get a bit of exercise so it is worth pursuing even if you have trouble getting in touch. Also it'd be worth checking if they have a facebook page that they keep updated, may get checked more regularly than their e-mail account.

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    Where are you hoping to go, and what type of work are you hoping for? Even if I have that much info I might be able to give you a little more direction.

To be honest I'd go anywhere. I just want to get away for the summer but I'm on a tight budget so a job is a must for me, but lets say Boston or Chicago for now. Also I'd go for any type of work. I'm due to graduate Civil Engineering this year so I have construction and engineering experience from work placement, I spent a summer with a landscaper in the US a few years ago and also I'm 22 with 4 years bar experience in Ireland.

courty08 wrote: »
    To be honest I'd go anywhere. I just want to get away for the summer but I'm on a tight budget so a job is a must for me, but lets say Boston or Chicago for now. Also I'd go for any type of work. I'm due to graduate Civil Engineering this year so I have construction and engineering experience from work placement, I spent a summer with a landscaper in the US a few years ago and also I'm 22 with 4 years bar experience in Ireland.

Ok - you're going to be sorted out then. I played in Boston. There is a strong senior championship there with lots of clubs. The clubs themselves have plenty of resources, they are the second wealthiest behind Chicago.

In my club, by playing senior I had my flights and apartment paid for and was given a job in construction. The guys playing junior football made their own way out there, but were given a month's rent and sorted with a job. Even lads playing junior b were sorted out 99% of them.

Boston is a very nice city to live in. Has a huge European influence and is very liberal. You've got Cape Cod 30 mins in one direction for some of the nicest beaches in America, New York is an hour away for a spin, and Canada is only up the road as well. Would recommend it.

Chicago - I've also heard very good things about the city. In terms of football there are four senior clubs who have huge funds - the most in the USA. The only problem from a footballing point of view is you don't have as many teams to play against.

Ok - you're going to be sorted out then. I played in Boston. There is a strong senior championship there with lots of clubs. The clubs themselves have plenty of resources, they are the second wealthiest behind Chicago.

In my club, by playing senior I had my flights and apartment paid for and was given a job in construction. The guys playing junior football made their own way out there, but were given a month's rent and sorted with a job. Even lads playing junior b were sorted out 99% of them.

Boston is a very nice city to live in. Has a huge European influence and is very liberal. You've got Cape Cod 30 mins in one direction for some of the nicest beaches in America, New York is an hour away for a spin, and Canada is only up the road as well. Would recommend it.

Chicago - I've also heard very good things about the city. In terms of football there are four senior clubs who have huge funds - the most in the USA. The only problem from a footballing point of view is you don't have as many teams to play against.

Is the best way to get in contact just to get onto their facebook pages and send a message?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shaneoreillyo

Hi me and a pal where thinking of working abroad this summer, hell be 19 and ill be 19 in july, we were going to just work in a resort somewhere but would the clubs around spain help you find a job and a place to stay or any of the gaa clubs around Europe? Also from someone who has been on a j1 would going over at 19 be sh*t enough if we were thinking of going to boston? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Hi me and a pal where thinking of working abroad this summer, hell be 19 and ill be 19 in july, we were going to just work in a resort somewhere but would the clubs around spain help you find a job and a place to stay or any of the gaa clubs around Europe? Also from someone who has been on a j1 would going over at 19 be sh*t enough if we were thinking of going to boston? Thanks

well shane, i'm not sure but i doubt clubs in europe would be setting people up with jobs and accommodation etc. there's no harm in joining though and people might be able to send you in the right direction for work etc.
    i was in australia for a year and they don't really do it there either but got work after my first day training through some the lads.
    If you have played for your county at minor or u21 level there are clubs in the US who sort you out with jobs etc before you come over and sometimes pay for your flights.

regarding the drinking laws in boston, massachusetts. they are pretty strict regarding the whole ID craic. i spent a summer in hyannis, cape cod and i was only 19 too. lets just say we didn't go thirsty but it was always at house parties down the beach etc. you were permitted to go to night clubs but not allowed to buy alcohol. great spot and we had a mighty summer but i have back recently on a holiday and the number of J1's heading there has massively decreased.

• Advertisement

I turned 21 in July when I was playing in Boston. In terms of nightlife etc., yes probably one of the stricter US cities. I remember I had family members in their early 30's come out to visit. One night we were ID'd at the door, and we hadn't any on us so we had to try somewhere else! The Irish bars are normally no problem though - they are normally relaxed enough.

If you're going to play junior football the better clubs will organise work for you and somewhere to live. If you are playing senior chances are you'll have your flights paid for, probably your first month at least of accom paid for and given a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 shaneoreillyo

fearruanua wrote: »
    well shane, i'm not sure but i doubt clubs in europe would be setting people up with jobs and accommodation etc. there's no harm in joining though and people might be able to send you in the right direction for work etc.
    i was in australia for a year and they don't really do it there either but got work after my first day training through some the lads.
    If you have played for your county at minor or u21 level there are clubs in the US who sort you out with jobs etc before you come over and sometimes pay for your flights.

regarding the drinking laws in boston, massachusetts. they are pretty strict regarding the whole ID craic. i spent a summer in hyannis, cape cod and i was only 19 too. lets just say we didn't go thirsty but it was always at house parties down the beach etc. you were permitted to go to night clubs but not allowed to buy alcohol. great spot and we had a mighty summer but i have back recently on a holiday and the number of J1's heading there has massively decreased.

Thanks man still not sure what I'll do yet. Would you need to be applying around now? I wouldnt be inter county at all but would be decent enough at both codes.. Would there be any clubs out by California? Wouldnt mind surfing aswell while out there..
    I turned 21 in July when I was playing in Boston. In terms of nightlife etc., yes probably one of the stricter US cities. I remember I had family members in their early 30's come out to visit. One night we were ID'd at the door, and we hadn't any on us so we had to try somewhere else! The Irish bars are normally no problem though - they are normally relaxed enough.

If you're going to play junior football the better clubs will organise work for you and somewhere to live. If you are playing senior chances are you'll have your flights paid for, probably your first month at least of accom paid for and given a job.

Would it be pointless going now? Would i be better off waiting another 2 years and head out when ill be turning 21? Ya id say i would go for junior hurling and football if i was to go. Would the senior and junior be the same standard as say senior and junior in Cork or what comparison would there be? What type of jobs would they sort people out with? Thanks alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Thanks man still not sure what I'll do yet. Would you need to be applying around now? I wouldnt be inter county at all but would be decent enough at both codes.. Would there be any clubs out by California? Wouldnt mind surfing aswell while out there.

see link below

http://www.clubgaa.ie/usa/index.htm

Would it be pointless going now? Would i be better off waiting another 2 years and head out when ill be turning 21? Ya id say i would go for junior hurling and football if i was to go. Would the senior and junior be the same standard as say senior and junior in Cork or what comparison would there be? What type of jobs would they sort people out with? Thanks alot.

I'm can't say if something would be pointless or not, I can only say that it might be difficult to get served in bars if you are under 21. It didn't stop me, but it made it a bit more difficult.

Football would be a higher standard out there than hurling. There are fewer hurling clubs and they don't seem to spend as much bringing lads out. Its a few years now since I was there, so things might have changed in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

If you play Senior then you are nearly guaranteed to be set up well by a club?

If you play Senior then you are nearly guaranteed to be set up well by a club?

The best thing you can do at this stage is to bang out a few emails out and test the waters.

Advertisement