Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the norm for Christenings!?

Options
  • 20-03-2012 1:48pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What’s the norm for card/present giving at a Christening!? The first of my friends is having one this weekend. I was thinking a card at least, but they tend to be very religious, don’t they? My friend isn’t doing it because of the religious aspect at all, it’s just to make it easier for her little one to get into a school.

I’m not sure if a present is the norm or what’s expected? I have zero income as it is and I’m not even entitled to the dole. I have savings though, so wouldn’t mind getting something small for maybe 20euro… but is that enough to get something and what on earth would I get?! I have no idea about baby things at all at all…

Help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

woodchuck wrote: »
    What’s the norm for card/present giving at a Christening!? The first of my friends is having one this weekend. I was thinking a card at least, but they tend to be very religious, don’t they? My friend isn’t doing it because of the religious aspect at all, it’s just to make it easier for her little one to get into a school.

I’m not sure if a present is the norm or what’s expected? I have zero income as it is and I’m not even entitled to the dole. I have savings though, so wouldn’t mind getting something small for maybe 20euro… but is that enough to get something and what on earth would I get?! I have no idea about baby things at all at all…

Help!!

But a card, a plain one if you want to avoid religious stuff.
    I'm sure some people will buy picture frames or baby clothes but I don't thing everyone goes armed with gifts. If you don't have the money, don't buy a present.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Some item of clothing wouldn't go astray.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks guys, got a small present and a card... stupid questions, but do I write the card to the baby or to the parents?! I really have no idea what to say in it!

(need to know by tomorrow morning/early afternoon if anyone has any advice!)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,375 ✭✭✭✭Victor

woodchuck wrote: »
    do I write the card to the baby or to the parents?!
    It will depend on the card.

If it is a "Congratulations on the birth of your baby" or "It's a boy/girl" card, write it to the parents. Some other cards could be written to all three.

I think "Congratulations on your bundle of joy" or similar and sign it.

Advertisement