Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bord gas and their use of estimated bills

Options
  • 20-03-2012 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I hardly used the gas central heating this winter - probably on no more than 6-8 hours (yes hours!) all winter but that hasn't stopped the account racking up 96 euro over two estimated bills (haven't paid first one) of which approx 35 is recurring charges. One (over) estimated bill I can live with but only if its followed by an actual reading so the over-demand can then be knocked off the next bill. As things stand if I paid the total today (rather than wait for the next bill with an actual reading and an accurate total) I'll be using up the credit I'm no doubt due for the next year or more which frankly I'd prefer not to be doing.

Access to the meter is not an issue btw.

Anyone else due a actual reading but getting an estimate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I think I tend to get an actual reading every three bills sometimes every two but usually every three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

mike65 wrote: »
    I hardly used the gas central heating this winter - probably on no more than 6-8 hours (yes hours!) all winter but that hasn't stopped the account racking up 96 euro over two estimated bills (haven't paid first one) of which approx 35 is recurring charges. One (over) estimated bill I can live with but only if its followed by an actual reading so the over-demand can then be knocked off the next bill. As things stand if I paid the total today (rather than wait for the next bill with an actual reading and an accurate total) I'll be using up the credit I'm no doubt due for the next year or more which frankly I'd prefer not to be doing.

Access to the meter is not an issue btw.

Anyone else due a actual reading but getting an estimate?

If access to the meter is no problem, why don't you do it yourself?
    http://www.bordgaisnetworks.ie/en-IE/Your-Meter/Meter-Readings/Submit-a-Meter-Reading/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Dermo wrote: »
    http://www.bordgaisnetworks.ie/en-IE/Your-Meter/Meter-Readings/Submit-a-Meter-Reading/
    Possibly because Bord Gais Networks are supposed to read the meter at least 4 times per year? It seems they don't pay much heed to this in some areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Possibly because Bord Gais Networks are supposed to read the meter at least 4 times per year? It seems they don't pay much heed to this in some areas.

The OP has a problem and I have offered a solution that Bord Gais themselves have offered for this sort of situation. They may still check his reading at least 4 times a year, we don't know that unless the OP wants to check all of his bills for us.

In my last place I had absolutely no problem whenever I got an estimated account, went out to the meter, recorded the reading and sent it in online.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

That would be too easy to do

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Oh look whos having a go at a company again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

my meter is at the front of the house inside the wall in an estate in town and it was only read once last year. once i bought a key for the meter, i have sent in a reading everytime i get a bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

my bill is estimated all the time this is a common practice. I find that I actually do better when they estimate versus having the meter read

The OP has a problem and I have offered a solution that Bord Gais themselves have offered for this sort of situation. They may still check his reading at least 4 times a year, we don't know that unless the OP wants to check all of his bills for us.

In my last place I had absolutely no problem whenever I got an estimated account, went out to the meter, recorded the reading and sent it in online.
    The ESB will usually send out an amended bill as long as they get a customer reading in a week or two after the estimated bill but afaik bord gais don't amend the estimated bil or send out amended bills but add the correction to your next months reading so if they are way over with their estimate they could be holding onto hundreds of your euro for two months.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

lala88 wrote: »
    Oh look whos having a go at a company again

lala88 I'm pretty sure that I've warned you before to post on topic and in a constructive manner. This is not AH.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The ESB will usually send out an amended bill as long as they get a customer reading in a week or two after the estimated bill but afaik bord gais don't amend the estimated bil or send out amended bills but add the correction to your next months reading so if they are way over with their estimate they could be holding onto hundreds of your euro for two months.

Incorrect.

Bord Gais issue amended bills.

My usual policy is to compare the estimated with the actual. If it's broadly similar I'll leave it go. If it's wildly out I'll correct it. So the odd time I'm holding on to their €9 and other times they're holding on to mine.

Bear in mind that unchecked estimated bills could go wildly out of kilter especially if based on a very cold winter such as last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

COmpared to esb, the gas estimated bill is usually very close, but I'm in my house a good few years. I've never gotten an updated bill, I just presumed it was due to having online billing.

I got stung with estimated esb bills in a flat years ago, lesson learned.

parsi wrote: »
    Incorrect.

Bord Gais issue amended bills.

My usual policy is to compare the estimated with the actual. If it's broadly similar I'll leave it go. If it's wildly out I'll correct it. So the odd time I'm holding on to their €9 and other times they're holding on to mine.

Bear in mind that unchecked estimated bills could go wildly out of kilter especially if based on a very cold winter such as last year.
    I used to be with them and could never get amended bills until I made an official complaint about so many bills being estimated and due to my address having no history at the time the bill estimates were very far from reality. when I entered the real readings i got a letter thanking me and stating my reading would be used in compiling my next bi-monthly bill. whenever i rang i was told that it was not possible to print an amended bill or cancel the estimated one and re-issue using the customer reading.

I would have let it go if it had been a few euro but the difference was in hundreds because the address had no history and their estimates were pulled from the clouds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

nungesser wrote: »
    my bill is estimated all the time this is a common practice. I find that I actually do better when they estimate versus having the meter read
    But you're going to have to pay the difference anyway when the meter is read?

Mike, they try to read the meter four times a year - it isn't a guarantee that they will though. It's not because they can't be bothered however, as implied by someone. When it's possible to submit one's own readings - online, over the phone, or via app though, it's hardly necessary to be spoonfed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

our bill was overestimated by €250. we got some shock when we got it, €417.

ive since given them the proper reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dudess wrote: »
    Mike, they try to read the meter four times a year - it isn't a guarantee that they will though. It's not because they can't be bothered however, as implied by someone. When it's possible to submit one's own readings - online, over the phone, or via app though, it's hardly necessary to be spoonfed.

True but it struck me as unwise to allow two estimates back to back esp over the winter period when said estimate and actual use could be most out of whack.

mike65 wrote: »
    True but it struck me as unwise to allow two estimates back to back esp over the winter period when said estimate and actual use could be most out of whack.
    And these wildly inaccurate estimates will have a knock on effect on future estimates for years to come!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Years? Only if there are constant estimates. There will be readings as well as estimates once the meter is accessible - and the bills based on accurate readings will reflect any previous over/under-estimates.
    And as said, there are facilities for customers to submit their own readings in order to ensure things are totally kept on top of.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭lurkballs

does anyone have an idea what the bi-monthyl bill should be ?
    150? 200? 300? anyone know i got one for 300 i use it about 4-5 hours day
    4 radiators 1 bedroom 2 bathrooms sitting room kitchen
    and cooking ?

Advertisement