Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the "Ivy Bridge" be worth it for a first-time-builder?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

guys, do you really think that a laptop which will have high end i7 CPU wont have any sort of proper GPU? i understand if they will have hd400 in i3 and i5 low end cpus, but i really dont see any point in something like i7.

See almost all ultrabooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

so all these expensive ultra thin laptops and iMacs for starbucks so? :rolleyes:

there are so many crapy desktops with high cpus and feck all gpus, but how the hell such overpriced laptops getting away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Ultrabooks are not laptops. They are ultrabooks. Completely different product category. It's like saying laptops suck because they all have 10.1" screens. I'd tell you they're not laptops, they're netbooks.

Even so, there are a lot of laptops that do have crappy graphics, but it's not that hard to find decent laptops with decent graphics. Dell's XPS 17 with a GT555M for example can hold its own when gaming. Even a laptop with a 540M - which is even in some almost-ultrabook-type laptops - can play Skyrim nicely.

Serephucus wrote: »
    Ultrabooks are not laptops. They are ultrabooks. Completely different product category. It's like saying laptops suck because they all have 10.1" screens. I'd tell you they're not laptops, they're netbooks.

Even so, there are a lot of laptops that do have crappy graphics, but it's not that hard to find decent laptops with decent graphics. Dell's XPS 17 with a GT555M for example can hold its own when gaming. Even a laptop with a 540M - which is even in some almost-ultrabook-type laptops - can play Skyrim nicely.

yeah, but thats what i am talking about. if its a higher end CPU laptop, you will have a proper GPU in it. i really really dont see a point in such unbalanced systems with latest expencive i7 and no gpu, no matter if its laptop, desktop, ultrabook, dildo with 5inch screen.
    i personally think that hd4000 would benefit more in low end i3 and i5, because those cheap laptops wont have proper gpu in them, because they need to be cheap and cheerful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

yeah, but thats what i am talking about. if its a higher end CPU laptop, you will have a proper GPU in it. i really really dont see a point in such unbalanced systems with latest expencive i7 and no gpu, no matter if its laptop, desktop, ultrabook, dildo with 5inch screen.
    i personally think that hd4000 would benefit more in low end i3 and i5, because those cheap laptops wont have proper gpu in them, because they need to be cheap and cheerful.

Why would someone need a proper GPU if they don't game or need CUDA/OpenGL? Especially on an ultrabook, for which low power consumption and weight are a priority. Its a waste of space, money and power on a system if its not being used. There are plenty of people that need decent CPU power without needing a GPU as well.

Obviously if a system is built for gaming it would be stupid to put an i7 + 6670 in it. However it would be equally stupid to throw a GTX 680 in a build for someone who will at most use it for farmville and solitaire.

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    Why would someone need a proper GPU if they don't game or need CUDA/OpenGL? Especially on an ultrabook, for which low power consumption and weight are a priority. Its a waste of space, money and power on a system if its not being used. There are plenty of people that need decent CPU power without needing a GPU as well.

Obviously if a system is built for gaming it would be stupid to put an i7 + 6670 in it. However it would be equally stupid to throw a GTX 680 in a build for someone who will at most use it for farmville and solitaire.

person who play solitaire and farmwile wont need an i7 system. i wonder what sort of job would you do on a ultrabook with i7? if you really need some raw power i am prety sure you wont be buying ultrabook for it.

person who play solitaire and farmwile wont need an i7 system. i wonder what sort of job would you do on a ultrabook with i7? if you really need some raw power i am prety sure you wont be buying ultrabook for it.

Programming, web development, Photoshop, Office, video conversion, non-GPU accelerated 3D modelling, etc.

Oh, and Minecraft.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Programming, web development, Photoshop, Office, video conversion, non-GPU accelerated 3D modelling, etc.

Oh, and Minecraft.

Pretty much this. Also keep in mind that all laptop i5s and most i7s are dual core hyperthreaded chips, which aren't even true quad cores. We aren't talking about CPUs comparable to an i7-2600k here. Its only the i7-2630QM and above that are quads.

Oh, and Minecraft.

well for all those listed things i am prety sure people have dedicated desktops. :p
    unless they are students. :p

anyway, i still dont like inbalanced systems and i still think that hd4000 would better fit in lower range CPUs.

well for all those listed things i am prety sure people have dedicated desktops. :p
    unless they are students. :p

anyway, i still dont like inbalanced systems and i still think that hd4000 would better fit in lower range CPUs.

What you're missing here is that there isn't such a thing as an unbalanced system. What you mean to say, is that you don't like laptops that are unbalanced for gaming. Laptops with a decent i7 and 16GB of RAM are however perfectly balanced for 3D modelling or heavy Photoshop, or anything like what I listed above. Certain people only need a GPU to put things on a screen, not render complex 3D geometry with lighting and shaders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement