Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting lan cable reboots modem

Options
  • 20-03-2012 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Sometimes when I connect the lan cable on my laptop it will make the UPC router reboot. My Asus latop has Atheros AR8151 pci-e lan port. The laptop is connected to a Netgear gigabit switch which is connected to the UPC router. The lan port is sometimes at 100mbps speed and reconnecting will usually give me 1Gbps speeds :confused: The UPC router can reboot sometimes when I recoonect the lan cable. I tried a few different cat5e cables, but still the same. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? I think I should get on to Asus anyway to see if maybe there is something wrong with the lan port.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Sorry forgot about Nets and Comms forum. Could this be moved there as maybe its more suitable.
    Cheers
    Kitoog

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

I am guessing that you have a Thomson modem / router right? Im also guessing that at least once it has reset itself to factory settings for no apparent reason?

Ye its the Thomson modem/router. It probably does reboot on its own but I can seem to get it to reboot by connecting the lan cable a few times. Upc changed some setting a while back for reboot problem, but thinking its my laptop causing it as its still happening.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

mayto wrote: »
    Ye its the Thomson modem/router. It probably does reboot on its own but I can seem to get it to reboot by connecting the lan cable a few times. Upc changed some setting a while back for reboot problem, but thinking its my laptop causing it as its still happening.

It's not your laptop, it's a problem with the Thomson. Ring UPC and log a fault.

• Advertisement

Yup the thomson's are crap, I had 2 faulty ones and my brother another tell them you want a cisco E3925 instead

Lately most times my laptop comes off standby, the modem reboots. Some problem between my lan port and the modem. These do not seem like random reboots now, they occur when my laptop goes on. My laptop lan switches between gigabit and 100mb for some reason, could this be part of the problem?

Trust me its the modem at fault, the thomson modems have some kind of fault with them which causes all sorts of funny stuff... and yes in some instances you can spark the reboot just by connecting a lan cable or even just switching on a cable connected computer.

Its only a matter of time before the modem will decide to do a random factor reset and all...

Just get it changed with UPC asap for the cisco one i mentioned which solved all the issues for me and also my brother once and for all. Dont even entertain the idea of having engineers have a look as there is SFA they can do.

Ye maybe it is the modem. I changed the lan port to static instead of dhcp and get constant 1Gbps conection every time I connect. Modem not rebooting atm, will see how it gets on over next few days.

Ye maybe it is the modem. I changed the lan port to static instead of dhcp and get constant 1Gbps conection every time I connect. Modem not rebooting atm, will see how it gets on over next few days.

It most definatley is the modem and the problem will not go away I struggled with this for months and have a brand new thomson provided, changed various settings, even had dampers installed on the cable line into the house and all to no avail.

It will happen randomly for no apparently reasons and can go away for weeks etc... Seriously just pick up the phone to UPC and tell them you want the cisco modem, you will incur no costs for doing this, they will drop the new one and collect the old one simples... and the problem will be fixed once and for all.

• Advertisement

New firmware just applied to Thomson modem, from Software Version STBA.01.36 to STBA.01.50. They told me this would be out this week so at least they seem to be fixing problems. Will see how it gets on :)

New firmware just applied to Thomson modem, from Software Version STBA.01.36 to STBA.01.50. They told me this would be out this week so at least they seem to be fixing problems. Will see how it gets on :)

Good luck with that, personally im glad to be shot of the thomson! Let us know how you get on though.

Advertisement