Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

any Dublin smallholders want barley for hens?

• 20-03-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm an all-grain homebrewer (which means i make beer using malted barley and hops). I've recently moved my equipment to Dublin. when i was brewing down the country i the grain from a brew either went into my composter or to my neighbour who kept hens.

In my garden i don't have space for a composter yet- but in the meantime is there anyone who would be interested in using the malted barley for feed for their hens? I typically have 5-6 kgs per brew- next brew is likely to be next week

I'd prefer that someone got use for it rather than throw it out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭El Kabong!

PM sent thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 edog

I'd be interested if you're still offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

I'm interested if still available? Could collect whenever suits :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

may i ask, do you brew the beer for sale or personal consumption ?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Uncorruptable

I live in Laois but work in dublin, depending on where you are i would take it for my hens no probs regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

viztopia wrote: »
    may i ask, do you brew the beer for sale or personal consumption ?

homebrewers only brew for personal consumption. Although I've been known to share the odd beer here & there :D

Seriously, it's illegal to brew beer for sale without a licence. I'm sure someone can make reference to the relevant legislation, but it's too early in the morning to look for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

ok thanks, was only asking out of curiosity - not trying to catch you out or anything!

viztopia wrote: »
    ok thanks, was only asking out of curiosity - not trying to catch you out or anything!

Perfectly honest question. I know some of the Irish Craft microbreweries give/sell their spent grain to local farmers- although they need a licence for that.

Just to update, El Kabong! has first dibs on the barley from the latest brews, so we will arrange pick up etc on that.

I'll pm those in the queue for later batches- of which there will be plenty (hopefully, weather permitting) in the next month or so.

Thanks for all the interest

• Registered Users Posts: 9 gill1983

Hi baconsarnie if u know anyone else who has any melted barley around dublin/kildare area I'm will to buy it of them I'd be looking for a 50kg of it,regards chris

• Advertisement

gill1983 wrote: »
    Hi baconsarnie if u know anyone else who has any melted barley around dublin/kildare area I'm will to buy it of them I'd be looking for a 50kg of it,regards chris

Hi Gill. I'd say your best bet would be to post in the homebrew forum on boards and ask if there are any all-grain brewers in the Dublin/Kildare area (there are loads- I'm just not sure how many of them use boards rather than Beoir or the National Homebrew club). If you flag it there, you probably will get a few people who will respond.

In terms of cost, I doubt you would get charged (i certainly am always happy to get rid of spent grain in a sustainable way). Quantity might be a problem- once off swaps of 50kg might not happen- most all-grain brews I would do would have a grain bill of 5 or 6kg (depending on strength of beer etc) and that would on average do 20 Litres of beer. But if you get in touch with one homebrewer, chances are they will put you in touch with another

I won't be brewing for another few weeks but as soon as I have a date, I'll post in advance that I will have 5 or 6kgs of spent grain to give away (with the ususal need for quick disposal so as not to attract unwanted guests)

hi thanks for the reply the reason im lookin for it is i race pigeon amd the price of barley in pigeon supples shop is mad money and not great,i do as u said but if u have any u need gone asap i take it of u regards chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭Askim

hi thanks for the reply the reason im lookin for it is i race pigeon amd the price of barley in pigeon supples shop is mad money and not great,i do as u said but if u have any u need gone asap i take it of u regards chris

Hi Gill1983
    why don't you go to an animal feed store, I get a 25kg bag of toasted & rolled barley for €8, they also have whole barley, wheat oats etc

Where are you based, might know your closest one

A

Hi I'm in tallaght there woz a place in Newcastle. I use to get barley from but the closed down a while I don't. Mind driving to get it as I'd be getting bout 100kg prob more, if u know anywhere it would. Be much appreciated,

Hi I'm in tallaght there woz a place in Newcastle. I use to get barley from but the closed down a while I don't. Mind driving to get it as I'd be getting bout 100kg prob more, if u know anywhere it would. Be much appreciated,

Quinns in baltinglass, guy just outside naas on the newbridge road, quinns in naas, on the ballymore road.
    Charles Wynne in Moone, co kildare

Be careful buying so much it can get mites in it after a while.
    A

Cheers Thanks I appreciate that,do u no the name of the bloke on the Newbridge Rd, ah 100kg wudnt last long as I use about 25kg of mix a wk and I'd be using the barley As 70% of the food,

http://www.agrifeeds.ie/index.html

Think this is the guy, take naas south exit, head for new ridge, take 1st left & down that road about 2 mile, on the left, ring him 1st, he should have it, I just got turkey feed from him last year.

what price are you paying at the moment??

A

At the moment I'm paying 16euro a bag of mix 25kg but with racing coming up the price of the mix I have to use to about 18euro, the only barley I can get is rolled barley which is crap,the corn shop in which I get my food only sell rolled as they depurative For 16euro a bag which is basically Barley And canary Mix,during the winter/resting I'd like to put them on barley/pellets it keep them in perfect nick not over weight the cheapest bag of mix I can get is 13euro a bag which is basically Barley and maize but when there doing nothing They won't it the maize , il give them a ring 2moro thank again

most rolled barley is nearly flour, the toasted barley I get from Charles Wynne it soaked overnight cooked & the rolled, each grain is just squashed, they say cooking it makes it more digestable. It was only €8 for 25kg bag.
    http://www.yourlocal.ie/company/379260725833728
    Fed this to pigs this year, I fed wet, soaked overnight, didn't see any grains out the back end.

A

Hi all

I will have almost 8 kgs of spent grain from this afternoon for anyone who wants it. Due to storage space and the potential for encouraging mice, I will not be able to keep it longer than this evening- otherwise it's into the composter

Free of charge of course. PM me if you're interested

• Advertisement

Sorry about the very late notice on this- but I didn't expect I'd get a chance to brew today and as I said storage is an issue. I'll try and give people a bit more notice when I am going to brew but it will still have to be pick on the same day as I brew

(and ideally if someone if picking up they will have a container that can store 5-8kgs of damp, spent grain)

Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭flutered

barley has a gene which some hens do not take kindly to, wheat however is brillant, highly regarded as a fattening agent, i got 35lb dead weight turkeys, massive yokes, we had turkey for a year.

Advertisement