Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call from UK SEO Company - Warning

Options
  • 20-03-2012 4:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Okay, first up, SEO is one of those things that completely bypassed me and I really really need to work on mine.

To the point,
    I received a call today from a UK company that said they picked up my details from google adwords. The call went on for some time and this guy talked me through various ways of viewing my 'organic' rankings and how they could improve them.

I admit it all sounded wonderful and glossy and I was taken in (esp. considering my lack of knowledge). However, I have a rule, never make a decision on the spot. Even if I call a company, I always take all the relevant info and then go away take it in and call back with a decision.

The guy did his best to get me to commit, but I persisted, and as it happens, a quick google later show that these guys have a bit of a reputation.

I am not going to name them in the thread, but just be aware of what these guys claim to offer.

(apologies if this is in the incorrect section)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭benbob65

NEVER give in to pressure to commit there and then; any company that tries that is highly suspect.

As a rule, I don't deal with any company that cold-calls me about any product or any service. If they are so convinced they can improve things for me, I offer to do a trial run where I pay them in little steps AFTER they have done a small part of what they propose.
    Always stops them from ever calling again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭LifeBeginsAt40

Good advice!

I run a website with great organic traffic, that ranks No.1-5 on Google for my key-phrases and yet I still get the same old emails from 'SEO Experts' around the world (India seems to be the latest country) claiming that my web site does not rank highly.

I wrote an eBook about learning SEO for yourself, it took me 12 months of hard work to get my website to its top spot, but the point is I did it myself.
    If you have the time to learn SEO or the time to forge a good relationship with a SEO subject matter expert then that's good.

Cold calling I believe never ends with a satisfied customer, only a satisfied bank balance for the caller. The OP is right, always say no politely to everything and do some research yourself before signing up to anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭keyboardcook

LifeBeginsAt40, love the username.

Can you link to your book please?

Mods- genuine request.

Cheers,

Kc

Advertisement