Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excessive dog farting

• 20-03-2012 4:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭

ok, i know it's not the nicest of topics, but i was wondering if anybody had thoughts/advice...
    i have a 6 month old labrador. had her about 3 months now. she was originally on pedigree food, but she was very stinky on it, and didn't have great poops. i then put her on red mills leader large breed puppy food. she was less stinky and was having good solid poops. she's been on this food for about 2 months and no probs. i still think she is farting excessively though. she REALLY stinks. room clearing bad odour.
    is there anything i could give her to reduce this?

i'd also like to note that even though she is on good food, she still finds it necessary to eat poo when we're out. (we live rurally) she won't eat her own poop, but will eat cat poop etc. she gobbles things up before you can say boo. she once ate frog spawn! :rolleyes: (that wasn't nice to clean up...)
    would this be causing her to keep having excessive smelly farts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Dogs will eat poo for a variety of reasons, in pups it is often just a bad habit. Eating random things out on a walk is also quite a puppy trait (some dogs never grow out of it!) and suggests more about her taste in random items than any health problems. Some dogs will eat poo etc. if they are malnourished but I doubt this is the situation in your dogs case (because she is on a good food).

The farts on the other hand are a indication that the food she is on in not agreeing with her. Funnily enough, we tried some of my guys on Red Mills and the farts were terrible - shocking even - and with no other problems at all (poo fine, coats good etc.). We took them off of it and it cleared up pretty fast. I mean, dogs fart - it's gross but it happens - but I know what you mean when you say they are room clearing, we were nearly being fumigated they were so bad! Burns is very good for stopping smelly farts, nice and gentle of the belly and a good quality food too. (worth a try!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

would be glad to try anything! i know dogs do fart, but this is unreal! you can hear them too. she farts several times in an hour.
    she gets a good amount of exercise also. i had a feeling it might be food related, but it didn't make sense, as her poos were good.
    it's funny how alot of people think they can give their dog any old food, but most of it out there isn't good for them!
    will definitely have a look out for that burns food. i'll have to find a stockist, i know i haven't seen it in airside swords or cuddles in balbriggan ..

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Heya,

Pups will indeed sometimes eat dog, cat or rabbit poo, and depending on how scummy some people around your area are human poo.

This won't generally effect their farts.

I had to go through a couple of different types of dog food. We started our guy on pedigree, and my advice is, do not put your dog on this, we switched to bakers, same thing, mushy poo, alot of farting and the farts smell really bad.

Went to the petshop and they recommended Multifit. Multifit has more meat content, less salts and sugars then the "leading brands", basically, the main reason choose pedegree, bakers or lathems is cause they are advertised first, but are not the best for your dog.

Once we put Gimli on Multifit after the "adjustment period" he doesnt fart as much, they are not that smelly, and he is taking nice solid poos. :)

i would never recommend pedigree after honey being on it for the first month we had her. but the last few days, she seems to be worse than before. she was ok on the red mills, but still having smelly farts and bad breath.
    we were away for a few days and she was being looked after by the inlaws, who ran out of food and got some james wellbeloved, as there was no red mills locally. they said the first few days we were away she was having diarrhea. she was ok til we got back and then had very bad diarrhea for about 6 hours (before being fed the well beloved) i don't know whether her smelling worse now is due to us being away (and her being upset about it) or the change of food.. i know that changing food isn't a good thing, but the ingredients look very similar to what the red mills was.
    before i wrote this thread, i was unsure of whether or not to stop the james wellbeloved and put her back on the red mills, or what... just know that she's killing my nose the last three days!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

Changing dog food will cause dighorea and really really smelly farts, should pass after about two weeks.

I would go and get whatever your vet is selling, it might be a bit more pricy, but well worth it for your dog considering they generally have much more "real food" content! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Karlitto wrote: »
    Changing dog food will cause dighorea and really really smelly farts, should pass after about two weeks.

Not if you do it slowly - over about a week/10 days, gradually reducing the old food and increasing the new one until the dog is only eating new food.
    Karlitto wrote: »
    I would go and get whatever your vet is selling, it might be a bit more pricy, but well worth it for your dog considering they generally have much more "real food" content! :)

This is debatable. Yes, vets do tend to stock good quality foods but they may not be the best you can get for the price and often there is an incentive for the vet to sell the food (proift!). I know lots of vets that stock Hills Science Plan, which isn't a bad food but really overpriced and I personally wouldn't feed it to my dogs. Some vets sell more "economical" foods too, which may not be very good, so it really is worth doing some research/trying samples before buying a bag. In saying this, many vets stock great foods and don't charge an arm and a leg for them but these, unfortunately, are not always the norm.

our vet said to give her some human food (like rice etc) the last time i was in with him, but honey will not eat rice at all. she gets diarrhea if she eats anything that's not dog food.
    our vet sells royal canin, but i haven't really heard great things about that food, so haven't tried it at all. there seems to be alot of it around though.

to be clear, honey has always had bad smelling farts. they decreased while on red mills, but were still there. they have since increased again since changing the food.

she had diarrhea the first two nights my husband and i were away form her, while still on the red mills.

she had diarrhea upon us returning for 6 hours after one meal of james wellbeloved. diarrhea has ceased, but her poo is not firmed up yet and as said above, her farts are excessive and very stinky. i *think* her diarrhea was from her being upset about us being away, as her diet was not changed when we were gone.

when changing food, i normally phase in new food slowly, but was unable to this time, as the red mills was gone. had it not ran out while we were away, i would have no reason to change her food.

it's so hard to find the right diet for this pup. i had a read up on the burns site though, some good info on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

When flint was a pup he was on redmills leader and you couldnt sit in the room with him, was terrible. Brought him down to the vets to get him checked out and they said it was because of the high grain content that is in redmills dog foods. Worked him gradually over onto Hills and he has been fine since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

What about Burns now I do find that dogs tend to be slim on it but the puppy mini bites might suit it deffo cuts out the farting.

Eating poop is normal..although our foster pup is the fist pup I've had that doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP try adding a spoon of natural yoghurt to her food - it's worked for me in the past to reduce my guy's emissions! ;)

• Advertisement

people comment that honey does look small for her age. the vet said she was fine, as her ribs don't show, but she is a bit small. would the burns puppy stuff be ok?

this is her (3 weeks ago)
    6797750760_992f37ccf1_z.jpg
    honey by jbredrebel, on Flickr

6797750772_b2722e1057_z.jpg
    honey by jbredrebel, on Flickr

have heard about the yogurt before, but was a bit apprehensive about giving her dairy products

people comment that honey does look small for her age. the vet said she was fine, as her ribs don't show, but she is a bit small. would the burns puppy stuff be ok?

She's 6 months now so you'd want Adult Burns - not the puppy one. She's lovely btw :) I have a skinny retriever - don't mind what people say - they're just used to fat ass labs and retrievers lol!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I know how you feel OP. my lab was the same when I got her, again the rescue had her on pedigree before I got her. Her farts were so bad that she would get up and walk to the other end of the room herself. My other dog would leave the room altogether. You literally couldn't stay in the same room as her when she let off.

I switched her onto select gold and she doesn't do it anymore. Her breath is better and the general stink from her is gone. She still lets the odd woeful one when she eats something she shouldn't, something she's scavenged as opposed to the select gold. You have to watch young labs like a hawk, they'll eat anything and everything they can sniff out.

that's true.. they want to eat everything! she is never out of my sight, but you know the way they can gulp something down before you can bend over!

i'm definitely going to have a look for this burns stuff. on their site it seems to just list vet clinics as suppliers. how much does this stuff cost per bag? (will have to break the news to hubby lol)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

that's true.. they want to eat everything! she is never out of my sight, but you know the way they can gulp something down before you can bend over!

i'm definitely going to have a look for this burns stuff. on their site it seems to just list vet clinics as suppliers. how much does this stuff cost per bag? (will have to break the news to hubby lol)

I'm currently trying my 2 on champion. 30kg for 60 euro. I'll let you know how I get on over the next few weeks. The select gold was a great food but it's over twice the price of the champion. It's too early for me to recommend it yet though as I've only started them on it.

cheers, appreciate that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 Tarmina

Natural yoghurt good for this.
    Also feed a cereal free dog food. Believe me this works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

You can give them charcoal capsules for the stink but that won't clear the root cause.

I have 2 dogs that create a stink banned by the Geneva Convention it's so bad.

Look at the first few ingredients of any food you give them. If there are a lot of cereals and fillers or bulking agents then thaat is usually the culprit.

I use a food called Flatazor, not well known, but made by the makers of Royal Canin. I have changed my 4 month old rotti pup onto Clinivet and that has him sorted, less stink and solid poos....niiice;)

If I had too many treat, his favourite being hotdogs, I use little bits for training, he gets stinky, but if I used cooked, chopped liver, no stinkys.

Hope that helps.

Pedigree and Bakers gave my two rotts food poisoning like behaviour, ner, never again will I use anything without checking the first few ingredients.

The protein source should make up the bulk of the food...this is what I was told anyway, but feel free to correct if not.

i'm aware of the fillers and whatnot, it's why i got her off the pedigree and onto the red mills. most grocery store dog foods (as in bakers, optidog, pedigree etc) are all sh1te if you look at the ingredients...

as for the red mills - on their site, this is how they list the ingredients:

Dehydrated Chicken Meat (25% Min), Maize, Rice, Pearled Barley, Dehulled Oats, Poultry Fat, Linseed, Salmon Oil, Fishmeal, Savoury Chicken Gravy , Beet Pulp, Minerals And Vitamins, Yeast Extract, Chicory Extract Contains Chondroitin And Glucosamine

that all looks ok to me :) the burns looks better though, and i read a really good info PDF on their site.
    she's on the james wellbeloved since monday.. but i'll put her onto burns if i can. hopefully today will be a less stinky day :p i was informed by hubby that she had a normal poop this morning :)

edit: nope .. she killing my nose again today *gasp* .. dyyyyinnnnnnnnggggg.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Wind is usually an indication that the food is not suiting her, so if it was me i would try a different one as its obviously not agreeing with her.

Your dog should not be farting so often so thats a sign the food isnt right for.

Not all foods suit all dogs, even good ones so might be best to try something different.

• Advertisement

i requested a free sample off the burns site, so will try her on that! she probably has a problem with wheat/grains

Pet mania are doing free samples of clinivet at moment if you're near one.

I've just been gassed by the pup as he found a chewy treat belong to the russell and ate it this morning.

well she got more diarrhea today, so i rang the vet & brought her in. she has a tummy bug. was given an injection & some anti-biotics. poor lamb! she's wanting food, but i have to keep her off food for 24hrs and then do chicken & rice until she's better.

now i know why she was having very bad smelling excessive farts the last 4 days!

just have to get a good bag of food for her, for when she's better. even if she didn't have a bug, she still had wind.. want to get a food that will agree with her

well she got more diarrhea today, so i rang the vet & brought her in. she has a tummy bug. was given an injection & some anti-biotics. poor lamb! she's wanting food, but i have to keep her off food for 24hrs and then do chicken & rice until she's better.

now i know why she was having very bad smelling excessive farts the last 4 days!

just have to get a good bag of food for her, for when she's better. even if she didn't have a bug, she still had wind.. want to get a food that will agree with her

Once she's OK on the chicken and rice mix whatever food you're trying in with that slowly over a week or so to be safe. Just an fyi - I got a sample of Burns last year when I wanted to go cereal free - the bag is tiny lol so no gold to try with a lab :D I found cereal free dry food suited my guy best. I've switched to raw in the last few months but had no issues trying my guy with different brands of cereal free food - Robbie's, Happy Dog and JWB cereal free.

tk123 wrote: »
    Once she's OK on the chicken and rice mix whatever food you're trying in with that slowly over a week or so to be safe. Just an fyi - I got a sample of Burns last year when I wanted to go cereal free - the bag is tiny lol so no gold to try with a lab :D I found cereal free dry food suited my guy best. I've switched to raw in the last few months but had no issues trying my guy with different brands of cereal free food - Robbie's, Happy Dog and JWB cereal free.

thanks for that! was wondering what size the sample would be :)
    yes, need to do it gradual. it's strange, this dog is like me kinda as i suffer from IBS, so have to keep away from lots of foods. i like the idea of cereal free food for her, won't be any harm anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Robbies will send you a free sample too. The Land of Holistic Pets. Our two love the chicken and rice and tummies, poops and farts are great. To be honest hubbie and I are probably worse. :p

That's what I had to do for my pup too. I use Nature Diet soft food mixed into the dry now and then to add variety and it doesn't cause any ill effects, but each to their own.

The Clinivet comp is
    Chicken 37%
    Rice 24%
    Poultry Fat 10%
    Then cereals, Oats, Maize, Sugarbeet Pulp, Brewers Yeast, Herring Meal, Linseed, Egg, Minerals, Salmon Oil, Fructo-Oligosaccharides(good for intestines) Yucca, MOS, Glucosamine and Chondroitin.

Analytical Constitution.
    Crude Protein 30%
    Fat Content 20%
    Inorganic Matter 9.5%
    Crude Fibres 3%
    Omega 6 4%
    Omega 3 .9%

Don't know how that fairs out with others, but you have the info now anyway. It suits my pup, but he's just coming up on 4 months.

thanks for all this great info and recommendations! really appreciate it!
    definitely going to look into these :)

well our poor girl had a relapse. she was on antibiotics, and as soon as the course finished and she was back to her normal diet, she became sick again.
    had her in the vet this morning. she may have SIBO :(
    have any of you had experience with SIBO in dogs?
    she is on another course of antibiotics now, and royal canin gastro-intestinal food.....i hope this sorts her out... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Our rescue border collie had awful tummy problems for a while after we got her - she also love raiding the cat litter tray and ate dog poo too.

She often had a lot of wind and would stink, then after a really nasty bout of collitis I put her on Royal Canin Sensible (for sensitive tums - mixed with Butchers Tripe (tripe is great for dogs and really easy to digest) wet food (this is a gluten free food) and a pro-biotic - Pet Dophilus by Jarrow, which I get online from iherb for 8 euro a jar.

She has been fantastic for the past year on this food - rarely any wind and no sickness - I dont know if its connected or she outgrew it but she never seems to eat poo anymore either!

Because I did all the above at the same time I cannot say for sure if any one thing did the trick or if it is the combination - Ive heard royal canin isnt great also - but I think the sensible variety is excellent.

Add - just read your last post there - I would definitely get her onto some probiotics if she has a bacterial overgrowth, you need to use one especially for dogs though as, although you can use human ones, they are of little benefit as they dont have certain strains of bacteria that dogs need - I think a lots of vets dont believe in them but they really do help the dog. Hope she gets better soon.

Advertisement