Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

excessive dog farting

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i assume then, with a dog that has this problem, it has to remain on a special diet for life?
    glad to hear your dog is doing well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

Yeah - I wouldnt change it and look for trouble!

But she gets lots of fresh meat as treats, chicken etc and cheese in small amounts - things like that are no bother - I just make sure she keeps away from things like bread, biscuits processed meats like sausages etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

people comment that honey does look small for her age. the vet said she was fine, as her ribs don't show, but she is a bit small. would the burns puppy stuff be ok?

this is her (3 weeks ago)
    6797750760_992f37ccf1_z.jpg
    honey by jbredrebel, on Flickr

6797750772_b2722e1057_z.jpg
    honey by jbredrebel, on Flickr

have heard about the yogurt before, but was a bit apprehensive about giving her dairy products
    Lovely looking doggie :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi all. Just read through this thread and wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice.
    I have my two on Burns mini-bites as Millie (aged 5) wont eat a bigger kibble. I contacted Burns about it and they said its no problem. However, she is a terribly picky eater, always has been, so I need to mix something with her food to encourage her to eat it. I've been mixing in cooked chicked breast (chopped very fine in the food processor) and she loves eating it, but is farting terribly - awful stink in the house every night:eek:
    I assume it the chicken thats doing it as people here are saying that Burns cuts down on smelly farting - but any suggestions on what else to mix in?
    She was on Royal Canin for almost 3 years (mixed with wet dog food) and had no problems with farting - should I just go back to that? Changed as I thought Burns might be better for her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Shazanne wrote: »
    Hi all. Just read through this thread and wondering if someone can give me a bit of advice.
    I have my two on Burns mini-bites as Millie (aged 5) wont eat a bigger kibble. I contacted Burns about it and they said its no problem. However, she is a terribly picky eater, always has been, so I need to mix something with her food to encourage her to eat it. I've been mixing in cooked chicked breast (chopped very fine in the food processor) and she loves eating it, but is farting terribly - awful stink in the house every night:eek:
    I assume it the chicken thats doing it as people here are saying that Burns cuts down on smelly farting - but any suggestions on what else to mix in?
    She was on Royal Canin for almost 3 years (mixed with wet dog food) and had no problems with farting - should I just go back to that? Changed as I thought Burns might be better for her.

I read someone here uses natural yoghurt in with the food every day to cut down on farts.

As for something to mix in have you tried naturediet? http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/canned_dog_food/naturediet I slice off a bit just less than an inch thick and mash it all up into dry food (also burns) every evening with a drop of salmon oil and he hoovers it all up. He eats plain dry food in the morning (well on the mornings he decides to eat it), and this for his evening feed so each tray lasts about nearly a week. I give him the odd tin of sardines, mackeral or salmon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

with my girl, it was sickness causing the really bad farts and gurgling.. but she always was a farter anyway.
    the ONLY food that hasn't caused any stinkiness from her at all is the royal canin (labrador). if your dog was fine on the royal canin and you can afford it, you may as well keep her on it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

Charcoal dog sticks are great for a windy doggie! Not sure on the science bit but have helped here! My dobie was called rotty bots until he was 2 and I switched him to royal canine light - poops and wind are well under control now! I know royal canine have a sensitive food too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Zapperzy wrote: »
    I read someone here uses natural yoghurt in with the food every day to cut down on farts.

As for something to mix in have you tried naturediet? http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/canned_dog_food/naturediet I slice off a bit just less than an inch thick and mash it all up into dry food (also burns) every evening with a drop of salmon oil and he hoovers it all up. He eats plain dry food in the morning (well on the mornings he decides to eat it), and this for his evening feed so each tray lasts about nearly a week. I give him the odd tin of sardines, mackeral or salmon too.

That sounds good. Interested in the salmon oil too - where do you get that? Is is something you can just buy in supermarket?? And are there other varieties too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Shazanne wrote: »
    That sounds good. Interested in the salmon oil too - where do you get that? Is is something you can just buy in supermarket?? And are there other varieties too?

This is the one I use, I get it from here http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/fur_skin_supplements/127318

I have seen a few pet shops stock it though not to many. Not sure what you mean by other varieties, there's cod liver oil too but having read up on that apparently it's too high in vitamin A and doesn't contain all the EPA's and DHA's that salmon oil contains. I use it on both my cat & dog and I'm not sure about extraordinary results that it claims to give but my cat has a really soft, full coat, can't tell so much on the dog as he's got a wirey coat.

Advertisement