Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ray Mears vs Bear Grylls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

Bear for watching on TV but Ray if you were actually in a survival situation would be my first choice.

You have to remeber though that Bear can probably survive with out the crazy stuff he does as that's just to make the programme more entertaining

According to his wiki page he is was raised in the North but moved very young from there, I also remember him saying on tv that he spent summers in Cork or Kerry visiting family not 100% on that one though.

Also according to wiki he has three sons: Jesse, Marmaduke and Huckleberry! Is this a joke?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Squ wrote: »
    ~12km x 10km.. max 3hr stroll through some nice country side, watch out for the bog holes mind. I fell into one as a nipper and had to endure a gruelling 5 minute walk back to the car to get a towel.

Yeah but you don't get to a chip shop as youn as you leave the park. Depending on where you start off from in the park it might take you 4 hours walk to get to the village of ballybeg and I don't even know if they have a chip shop, although I'm sure you could get chips in 'sizzlers' or you could go to the spar on the crossroads and get a breakfast role.

Or you could drink your own piss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Grylls is Oasis and Mears is Blur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

BX 19 wrote: »
    Ballycroy national park

117sq km of near uninhabited bogland.

~12km x 10km.. max 3hr stroll through some nice country side, watch out for the bog holes mind. I fell into one as a nipper and had to endure a gruelling 5 minute walk back to the car to get a towel.

Anyway, Mears v Grylls? Grylls cameraman wins everytime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

Anyway, Mears v Grylls? Grylls cameraman wins everytime.

Exactly, if I was in the centre of a circle of area 117 sq km, I'd only be approx. 6 km from the edge.

If I was in the centre of a square of 117 sq km, I'd only be 5.4km from any edge (a bit further for the corners).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

The difference between the two is that Bear Grylls teaches you how to survive for a few days in the wild, Ray Mears shows you how to live in the wild for a long period of time.

Ray Mears is my choice.

Grylls is Oasis and Mears is Blur.

Bear Grylls is more Milli Vanilli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Ray Mears is smart "that cliff over there is pretty dangerous, better stay away", Bear Grylls is an idiot "that cliff over there is really dangerous, get too close I could easily fall and kill myself....watch me climb across it!"

I prefer watching Ray Mear's MacGuyver-like bushcraft skills, put to practical use in often pretty relaxing/sedate looking places, than watch Bear Brylls give himself an enema on TV.

lol at first YouTube comment there: "This dude just shoved a fúcking hose up his ass for no reason at all. What the fúck?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

I think they are 2 different type of programmes both are good, Ray is a better presenter and more informative, Bear is more exciting and definitely better television moments.

But which one would i rather be in the wild with, Ray, no question, Bear can feck off if he thinks I will eat a spider or some other maggot, like why do you think they invented campbells soup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Read the title, instantly forgot which was which.

Who's the fella that drinks his own p1ss every time it rains?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Grylls was in the Territorial Army (Part time) SAS, not the regular SAS. There is quite a difference. He never rose above the rank of Trooper and the word is that he was asked to leave for some reason or another.

Of course there's the question of the stage managed survival stunts. Of course it's all TV and just entertainment. But quite often he does dangerous things which would be highly inappropriate in a real survival situation. He would be last person I would want be alongside in a real situation if that's really how he behaves.

But like I said it's all TV and TV is always manipulated. There is no such thing as reality TV. I remember watching a piece being filmed by for some program or other. The whole set up was stage managed from the start. Then they disappeared and reappeared wearing different clothes and filmed the follow up. When it appeared it was cut to look as if the whole situation took place over several days. Harmless of course but that's the way TV works. So it is with Grylls.

Mears is the real thing, Grylls is an entertainer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Out of the 2 I'm going with Bear Grylls.
    Ray Mears always seems to have exactly what he needs. For instance, he's stranded in the desert and he makes a hat out of tin foil to protect him from the sun. Because there's an abundance of tin foil in the desert. His shows aren't about survival, they're more like a camping trip with the scouts.

Yep, Bear Grylls for me too for that sort of reason. Mears will spend more time weaving friend baskets from his favourite flowers and local grasses than climb the cliff-face or the tree and see where water/food/safety might be from a height.

Mears would drive me to jump off the cliff face myself, Grylls would probably make me fall off it. I'll choose the latter.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Does anyone remember Steve Irwin? The Australian fellow who said "crikey" a lot and mauled snakes, lizards and crocodiles all day. He was killed by a huge sting ray, which pierced him with its 12-inch poisoned barb. I used to like his programmes.

There's this poem about him on the Internet:

"A bright and brash Australian
    the hunter was his name
    and all the slimy reptiles
    brought him wealth and fame
    to some he was a looker
    to girls he was a dish
    he knew everything about reptiles
    but fuck all about fish"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ray Mears.

He'd probably even tuck you in at night and tell you a nice story about a plump English boy eating cream cakes from Auntie Harriet's pantry table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Ray Mears or Bear Grylls?

I think Les Stroud wins that one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

CasaBonita wrote: »
    Ray Mears all the way. I'd hate to be stuck in the wild with Bear Grylls - he's not the real deal.
    Sorry but this guy was trained by the SAS. People need to put aside his shows because it is entertainment. A lot of what he actually does do on his show CAN save your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭brimal

Ray Mears all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

TBH I'd much rather stay in an urban environment so I i get lost I can just slap on the phones GPS

fcuk that gettin lost in the woods sh1t

My mate was in the Irish ranger wing for 4 years, he done all those courses, part of one of the courses he was more or less dumped on the one blaskets for a week with a radio for emergencies. He said once you know how you can get comfortable and its fairly easy, but he did say he ate a seagull.

I think he was telling the truth, he is not one for spoofing, he is one of those guys who doesn't have to, he has done a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

44leto wrote: »
    My mate was in the Irish ranger wing for 4 years, he done all those courses, part of one of the courses he was more or less dumped on the one blaskets for a week with a radio for emergencies. He said once you know how you can get comfortable and its fairly easy, but he did say he ate a seagull.

I think he was telling the truth, he is not one for spoofing, he is one of those guys who doesn't have to, he has done a lot.

My brother was in the rangers too, ate the seagull as well,

though he did say it took him ages to fly up and catch one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭pawrick

I ate a wild pigeon once, I know it's no seagull but that's all I have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Is it true that Bear was born in Ireland? He said on one of his episodes that he grew up in Ireland. Galway maybe?

I didn't think he was born here but his grandparent on his mother's side were from Down. allegedly he spent a lot of time there when he was younger though.
    xflyer wrote: »
    Grylls was in the Territorial Army (Part time) SAS, not the regular SAS. There is quite a difference. He never rose above the rank of Trooper and the word is that he was asked to leave for some reason or another.

He broke his back in a parachuting accident about a year after he got in and left himself because they wouldn't let him return to "proper" duty. i'm also fairly sure the TA SAS isn't any form of a picnic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I want both of them to get lost in the wild together with Mantracker pursuing them. Lethal force is authorised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

smokedeels wrote: »
    I want both of them to get lost in the wild together with Mantracker pursuing them. Lethal force is authorised.

Is this some homosexual fantasy you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

KeithAFC wrote: »
    Sorry but this guy was trained by the SAS. People need to put aside his shows because it is entertainment. A lot of what he actually does do on his show CAN save your life.
    Doesn't Ray Mears train the SAS though?

Aodan83 wrote: »
    Doesn't Ray Mears train the SAS though?
    Not sure but even if he does, it doesn't mean he knows more than Bear Grylls or is some sort of better expert at survival. Bear Grylls show is about entertainment and some survival tips. Really doesn't bother me if he does sleep in big tents with others or hotels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Bear Grylls - although entertaining at times does go for the shock factor - eating live snakes and squeezing elephant dung.
    Would the skills needed for surviving Patagonia or the Gobi desert be needed by me any time soon? Probably not.

Ray Mears - methodical, precise and plans ahead for outdoors and wilderness living.
    How to build a shelter - light a fire - get your bearings, will I need them?
    Yes, I've been on a few camping woodcraft weekends and practiced these skills.
    Ray Mears also involves survival stories from around the world and will also show how native and local people survive using basic skills that can be employed anywhere.

Bear Grylls - a bit of a toss pot really.

stoneill wrote: »
    Bear Grylls - although entertaining at times does go for the shock factor - eating live snakes and squeezing elephant dung.
    Would the skills needed for surviving Patagonia or the Gobi desert be needed by me any time soon? Probably not.

Ray Mears - methodical, precise and plans ahead for outdoors and wilderness living.
    Ray Mears also involves survival stories from around the world and will also show how native and local people survive using basic skills that can be employed anywhere.

Ray Mears is actually an expert on traditional methods people use to lite fires in the present and in the past. I remember him saying that in one of his programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Just remember lads, its really a choice between a nice fire and tea with Ray, or a hosepipe up the hole with Grylls. Up to youse....I won't judge.

stoneill wrote: »

What is wrong with showing people how to catch a snake and how to prepare it to eat? It makes perfect sense.

Bear Grylls is basically showing people survival tips. Ray Mears might prepare for outdoors and wilderness living but that is the whole point. Many people who get lost in such situations don't plan it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Sindri wrote: »
    Is this some homosexual fantasy you have?

What is homosexual about hunting the deadliest game in the Canadian wilderness?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Is it true that Bear was born in Ireland? He said on one of his episodes that he grew up in Ireland. Galway maybe?

Somewhere up north, his auld wan was an MP for Antrim and his dad was a UK government official.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They are two entirely different shows.

Mears is a bush-craft expert, he tells people how to make pine needle tea at their camp fire with their billy cans, how to tell good from bad mushrooms, how to use your clothes and netting to leech toxins from yams in a river, these are all great if you happen to be going out for a few days, with equpitment and are planning on living off the land a little, great for adult boyscouts.

Grylls's show is about worst case scenerio stuff.
    You're plane crashes off the coast of central america, you are the only sourviver and all you have are the clothes you are wearing, no knife, tools, nothing.
    If you were actually lost in the middle of a desert/thundra/whatever and had no tools or food, Grylls's techniques would give you a few extra days to either be found or get to a town/river/road and have a better chance of getting home.

Two totally different situations.

Both are excellent at what they do.

Grylls sleeping in hotels is besides the point, the stuff he teaches is legitimate. If you were ever in those situations, the stuff he teaches would help you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Grylls cameraman wins everytime.

http://i.imgur.com/avlj5.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/2980464/Bear-Grylls-admits-television-rival-Ray-Mears-is-much-tougher-than-him.html
    Grylls was speaking for the first time about his public bashing by Mears, 44, who dismissed him as a "boy scout" and a "showman".

The 34-year-old said: "He’s so rude about me in the press, it’s outrageous," but admitted that Mears was "brilliant" and "much tougher".

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Picture this. You are stuck deep in the amazon jungle with one other survivor from your horrific plane crash. This man tells you he is an expert survivalist.

He is however obese and out of shape……Do you

A) Listen to him and stick by him or

B) Go it alone without the fat b@stard

I would choose B and I would choose Bear Grylls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Ray seems much more practical and sage-like, his lovely calm voice gives confidence and you learn from him. Bear is all about shock value, shakey camera work and piss drinking.
    I like the way he isn't afraid to do the small stuff either, he has an excellent series on herbs and wild food in the English countryside, much of which is applicable to Ireland.
    44leto wrote: »

Oh you can eat seagulls, crows too. About all that's worth eating are the breast muscles, but put a few of those in a pot and you can have a nice stew.

I dunno, I have a lot of respect for both of them, they are both men of distinction, but as far as learning anything useful goes Bear is aiming for entertainment, Ray is going for education, so draw your own conclusions.

By the way if anyone is seriously thinking of trying any of this stuff swing by the S&SS forum in my sig there first.

The sheep episode in Ireland is on discovery now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

And Ray Nears trains the SAS
    pawrick wrote: »
    I ate a wild pigeon once, I know it's no seagull but that's all I have :D

Wild pigeon is lovely though.
    murphm45 wrote: »
    He broke his back in a parachuting accident about a year after he got in and left himself because they wouldn't let him return to "proper" duty. i'm also fairly sure the TA SAS isn't any form of a picnic!

Yeah, during some secret squirrel mission that he can't talk about, which is odd since 23 SAS(R) are green roll only.
    What is wrong with showing people how to catch a snake and how to prepare it to eat? It makes perfect sense.

Bear Grylls is basically showing people survival tips. Ray Mears might prepare for outdoors and wilderness living but that is the whole point. Many people who get lost in such situations don't plan it.

I vaguely remember Mears covering snake catching a good while back. It's definitely in one of his books. Teddy is there for shock value and can do what he does because he has a support team to pull him out. In reality if you were in the **** taking the "what would bear do?" option would more likely get you killed.

Few people bringing up Ray Mears weight too, in fairness lads he's pushing 50. Don't see too many people that ages with 6 packs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Bear's cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

ray mears is a twat, bear grylls is a legend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

EdenHazard wrote: »
    ray mears is a twat, bear grylls is a legend

This is what I was going for.

And Ray Nears trains the SAS
    So? I very much doubt the SAS NEED Ray Mears to train them or they would be up sh*t creek without a paddle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Who the **** is Ray Mears, and Bear Grylls I dont even know.

BA Baracus now thats a tough guy. And I'm not even that old. All these new ages "hardmen" **** em all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

EdenHazard wrote: »
    bear grylls is a twat, ray mears is a legend

FYP

In summery, people who know their arse from their elbow about the outdoors/bushcraft/camping/survival will take Ray Mears, Cody Lundine, Dave Canterbury, Mors Kochanski and maybe Les Stroud

People who watch too much TV/want to off themselves/think call of duty is a documentary will take teddy bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

kieranfitz wrote: »
    FYP

In summery, people who know their arse from their elbow about the outdoors/bushcraft/camping/survival will take Ray Mears, Cody Lundine, Dave Canterbury, Mors Kochanski and maybe Les Stroud

People who watch too much TV/want to off themselves/think call of duty is a documentary will take teddy bear.

People with a life will take teddy bear ;)

kieranfitz wrote: »
    FYP

Bear Grylls KNOWS about survival and can implement survival skills in his shows which he has done. The point is his shows are designed to be entertaining on Discovery.

Some one has already shown you that both Ray and Bear Grylls do two completely different shows.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

So? I very much doubt the SAS NEED Ray Mears to train them or they would be up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Obama: "We've found bin Laden, do you want to help catch him"

SAS: "Let us get in touch with Ray Mears and get back to you with a recon of the local fauna and folk stories"

Line goes dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

dfx- wrote: »
    Obama: "We've found bin Laden, do you want to help catch him"

SAS: "Let us get in touch with Ray Mears and get back to you with a recon of the local fauna and folk stories"

Line goes dead
    In July 2010, Mears was asked by Northumbria Police to help them track fugitive killer Raoul Moat, after he fled his temporary tent-based shelter in the village of Rothbury.

When stuff actually needs doing Mears is yer man, if you wanna be entertained then call Grylls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement