Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road or TT BIke

• 20-03-2012 5:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

So which is it for you ?

Is it down to preference ?

Is it down to budget ?

If you've changed have you seen much difference ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its down to your goals, your engine and the course you choose to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Its down to your goals, your engine and the course you choose to do.

Yes i didn't know that the TT wasn't great for hills until it was pointed out to me so i went for a carbon road bike.

Having the carbon is all well and good but i need to knock 2 stone off me as well:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Its really mostly about the course, assuming you are working on the rest (fitness, position etc..). I used my roadbike recently on a course where most people used hybrids or mountain bikes (I crashed so maybe it was a muppet choice!). One fella had a TT bike for it :eek: But then he is A) Crazy, B) around the endurance scene a while and C) Crazy.

You might have a few hills with sh!te roads that you would be better off on your roadie but if 75% of the course is TT'able.

Personally I can account for 4 minutes difference between a roadie with clip on bars and the TT bike over a 20k sprint Tri course in Valentia Island. But then, A) I was fitter B) the conditions were btter for the TT ride and C) I wasn't as shattered after the swim

On a straight 15km hilly TT course I'm about 1-2 mins faster on the TT bike than the roadie.

You can always clip on some bars and shift your position forward and lower for a TT type course on the roadie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Izoard

Yes i didn't know that the TT wasn't great for hills until it was pointed out to me so i went for a carbon road bike.

Having the carbon is all well and good but i need to knock 2 stone off me as well:D

I'm useless anytime the road goes up, so have a 27-12 on my TT wheels - gets me up and over pretty much anything on the tri circuit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

I can account for around 2.5-3 mins over a 40k Oly Bike flat course when going from a road bike with aero bars and aero clinchers to a TT bike with 808 tubs.

However the run also benefits as well.

Regarding hilly courses not suiting TT bikes, I'm less convinced.
    My TT bike on race wheels is around 2kg's lighter than roadie, I know if I was doing Beast of the East again I'd go TT bike despite all the bumps along the way.
    In fact BMC killed everyone on his but of course his engine was a hell of a lot better too.

It is all about the engine, but a TT bike on race wheels will get you around 3-4minutes over an olympic distance triathlon in my experience.

So it depends whether those minutes are worth the €€€€ to you or not...

It's not really a case of 1 or the other either, as a roadie is your only man for the long bike spins etc. and Group riding is a no no on TT bike also as not practical.

So defo road bike with aero bars first, then basically if you can afford it go for a TT bike after. Or if you lose out on a podium due to 3-4 minutes then a TT bike may be your answer...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Fazz wrote: »
    I can account for around 2.5-3 mins over a 40k Oly Bike flat course when going from a road bike with aero bars and aero clinchers to a TT bike with 808 tubs.

However the run also benefits as well.

Regarding hilly courses not suiting TT bikes, I'm less convinced.
    My TT bike on race wheels is around 2kg's lighter than roadie, I know if I was doing Beast of the East again I'd go TT bike despite all the bumps along the way.
    In fact BMC killed everyone on his but of course his engine was a hell of a lot better too.

It is all about the engine, but a TT bike on race wheels will get you around 3-4minutes over an olympic distance triathlon in my experience.

So it depends whether those minutes are worth the €€€€ to you or not...

It's not really a case of 1 or the other either, as a roadie is your only man for the long bike spins etc. and Group riding is a no no on TT bike also as not practical.

So defo road bike with aero bars first, then basically if you can afford it go for a TT bike after. Or if you lose out on a podium due to 3-4 minutes then a TT bike may be your answer...

Good points, i went from a basic road to a "better road" with aero bars and have found an amazinf difference. Add some personal weight loss and my times are creeping up. I'm applying for a new job closer to home and if i get it i think i'll get a TT as i'll be using the road more daily for commute and fitness. The TT can be kept for racing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

What about the argument that says you can only get the benefit from a TT bike once you hit a certain level of performance? Are ye saying you'll get benefit no matter what your ability?

I'm around 36-38 mins on a sprint course (depending on terrain) and 1:10 or so on the Olympic. I just get the feeling I'd need to be a bit better than that to benefit from a switch to a TT bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Id guess you'd benefit no matter what standard. I chucked my roadie in the garage about 18months back. Hasnt seen the light of day since bar 1 trip to France. I do all my work on the TT and I think it helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

I'm around 36-38 mins on a sprint course (depending on terrain) and 1:10 or so on the Olympic.

That doesn't add up! You can do a faster speed over 40K than over 20K?? :-)

Advertisement