Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council turning off lights to save money?

Options
  • 20-03-2012 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭

I recently drove from Intel via Main St up to Confey at around 11pm and counted 22 street lights that were off/not working.

Is this going on in other Kildare towns, or is it just Leixlip?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The traffic light people have been around Maynooth alot lately.
    They may have been working on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The traffic light people have been around Maynooth alot lately.
    They may have been working on them.

I don't think the traffic lights and the street lights are worked on by the same people.

Haven't noticed much difference in Celbridge.

Airtricity are looking after the maintenanace of the street lights in most counties now, you can log faults here http://www.airtricitysolutions.com/Content.aspx?key=report-fault

I was just down the Clane Rd in Celbridge and most of the street lights are off, seems like I wasn't observant enough. I know a few months ago there were two that weren't working but now it's a completely different story. Could be something going on ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Generally its an unmetered supply

I was told by a councillor that KCC is changing maintenance supplier so there's very very little work being done by the current ones. Oddly enough the fault I reported was fixed very shortly after that...

MYOB wrote: »
    Generally its an unmetered supply

I was told by a councillor that KCC is changing maintenance supplier so there's very very little work being done by the current ones. Oddly enough the fault I reported was fixed very shortly after that...

They are hardly changing from Airtricity already! are they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The household charge will go straight to KCC, and it makes it all the harder to stomach when half the street lights around the place aren't working and aren't being fixed.

The light outside my house has been out for about 2 months now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

n97 mini wrote: »
    The household charge will go straight to KCC, and it makes it all the harder to stomach when half the street lights around the place aren't working and aren't being fixed.

While the household charge is being collected by local authorities, the money will be sent straight to central government for redistribution. Local government is currently operating on a shoestring.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Joe Public wrote: »
    They are hardly changing from Airtricity already! are they?

They changed to Airtricity as the ESB sold the contract; not by any other decision.

There are other firms in the market now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Have you contacted Airtricity yourself? Joes link above has the number.

I've actually found them pretty good, normally come within 2 or 3 days of us getting on to them. They're still working away, I must have seen the van 2 or 3 times this week around Celbridge fixing lights. Normally a white Transit with a built in cherrypicker like this.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrxcSVqucA1QQAC6ApSRZdw78N2Z3EEXMl7tj2CulTc5sS8i9m7Zu8lTdwAw

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

Dolorous wrote: »
    While the household charge is being collected by local authorities, the money will be sent straight to central government for redistribution. Local government is currently operating on a shoestring.

Well, late last year almost every road in the area was resurfaced (in an effort to use up budgets, according to the media), many of which had been resurfaced less than 12 months prior.

I will phone Airtricity tomorrow and tell them, but I'd be pretty sure I'm not the only one that has noticed that some many lights in the town aren't working. In my lifetime I have never seen so many out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Well, late last year almost every road in the area was resurfaced (in an effort to use up budgets, according to the media), many of which had been resurfaced less than 12 months prior.

Don't believe everything you read in the papers...

Well, there was no good reason to resurface roads that were recently resurfaced. (EDIT: and footpaths were re-done too)

Anyway I see the light is on outside my house is back working again. I'll take a mosey around tomorrow evening and see what the rest of the town is like.

Advertisement