Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Bite

• 20-03-2012 5:21pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

One of my mutts picked a fight with a friends dog, we broke it up in seconds but he managed to get him self a puncture wound on his muzzle. Bled a little at the time, nothing major. We got him home and cleaned it out with cold water and than sterile saline. It looks like it was weeping a bit over night but doesn't look infected and ill clean it out again with more saline this eve. Anything else we should do, seems too minor for a vet visit but just want to be sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Karlitto

To be honest, if I were you, I would go to the vet... just to be sure.

But, it sounds like your doing the right thing, it will probably weep a bit as it heals naturally,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Yeah I had the same wound from a dog bite on my hand a few months back it wept for about a week before healing over fully. Your right worth getting it checked even for peace of mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Hooked

Rew wrote: »
    One of my mutts picked a fight with a friends dog, we broke it up in seconds but he managed to get him self a puncture wound on his muzzle. Bled a little at the time, nothing major. We got him home and cleaned it out with cold water and than sterile saline. It looks like it was weeping a bit over night but doesn't look infected and ill clean it out again with more saline this eve. Anything else we should do, seems too minor for a vet visit but just want to be sure.

My Husky was picked on Thursday of the week before last by a collie while both passing each other on leads. I initially panicked and worried as he had a wound under his eye. The collie had Hugos mouth in his so fast - It was all over in a split second.

My dad cleaned it out, calmed my nerves, and applied friars balsam to seal it (it's also antiseptic). Just keep an eye on it for signs of infection, puss, and any changes in the dogs behaviour. I think I read that diarrhoea was a symptom also?

Hugo was fine and I was just now checking his scar tissue and picking the loose scab from his coat (classy bird I am) before I picked up the phone to surf online.

In short. You'll know if he needs a vet visit. If it shows signs of infection, act on it. If the dog and wound appear fine... They probably are!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Advertisement