Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental income on a property/tax exposure

Options
  • 20-03-2012 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

If I rent out my property and the rental does not cover the mortgage am I exposed to any tax? I am currently out of the 7 yr mortgage interest relief period so will have any tax bill to pay at the end of the year? I guess not as I will effectively be making a loss.

Mortgage is €2000 potential rental is €1200 so untimely a loss of €800

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

POK321 wrote: »
    If I rent out my property and the rental does not cover the mortgage am I exposed to any tax? I am currently out of the 7 yr mortgage interest relief period so will have any tax bill to pay at the end of the year? I guess not as I will effectively be making a loss.

Mortgage is €2000 potential rental is €1200 so untimely a loss of €800

The following link explains all you need to know. You cannot offset your mortgage repayment against the rental income, you can only offset 75% of the mortgage interest paid against the rental income. You can also offset some expenses & maintenance in relation to the property. As you have owned the property for 7 years there is no clawback on any potential stamp duty that would have arose had you purchased the property as a family home but then let it out within a certain timeframe.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it70.html#section4

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

All rental income is taxable, whether you are covering your mortgage or not.

Advertisement