Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Gael Scoil at Vinegar Hill, Enniscorthy

Options
  • 20-03-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

On 27th February The Minister for Education applied to Wexford County Council to construct a 3 storey school in a field at the base of Vinegar Hill ( field in front of Paddy Kavanaghs house at junction of Vinegar Hill road with main Drumgold / Ballymurn Road ) just at the top of Shannon hill.

The application was submitted by Architects from Derry city, Northern Ireland.

The application can be viewed on Wexford Council website, planning application 20120152

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice to see the East of the Slaney getting something for a change.

I'll never forget Cllr. Keith Doyle's statement during the building boom that there was too much development on the East of the town while hundreds of houses were being thrown up on the West side.Did he ever even drive up the Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭haron

on todays enniscorthy echo it says the gael scoil is been built in the ross road starting building work in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

haron wrote: »
    on todays enniscorthy echo it says the gael scoil is been built in the ross road starting building work in 2013
    :D That says so much about the Echo!

The existing pre-fab school is on the Ross Road, on rented lands owned by Enniscorthy Greyhound Track. The Gael Scoil announced a new school last year on South East Radio. Thankfully funding has now been offically sanctioned for the project, earlier this month. Gael Scoil Enniscothy is listed on the Dept of Education website for funding of a new school.

I believe the site on Vinegar Hill has permission for a 2 storey "Educate Together" school which will now be replaced by a 3 storey "Gael Scoil".

Lets hope Passive Haus principals have been used in the design, as the price of heating oil rockets :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

RKQ wrote: »
    :D That says so much about the Echo!

The existing pre-fab school is on the Ross Road, on rented lands owned by Enniscorthy Greyhound Track. The Gael Scoil announced a new school last year on South East Radio. Thankfully funding has now been offically sanctioned for the project, earlier this month. Gael Scoil Enniscothy is listed on the Dept of Education website for funding of a new school.

I believe the site on Vinegar Hill has permission for a 2 storey "Educate Together" school which will now be replaced by a 3 storey "Gael Scoil".

Lets hope Passive Haus principals have been used in the design, as the price of heating oil rockets :)

So then does that mean 2 x gaelscoils for the town? That's the impression I would get from the information posted

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

klong wrote: »
    So then does that mean 2 x gaelscoils for the town? That's the impression I would get from the information posted

The one on Ross Road is just prefabs,they can be removed when the new one is built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

klong wrote: »
    So then does that mean 2 x gaelscoils for the town?

No! Of course not. I don't see how you could come to this conclusion.

The Gael Scoil on the Ross Road announced a new school building would be built last year - Parents from the school announced this on South East Radio. It may have appeared in local papers too.

The pre-fab school on Ross Road is a temporary structure on rented land. It was never proposed to build a permanent school on the site - ( see conditions of Gael Scoil planning permission)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

RKQ wrote: »
    No! Of course not. I don't see how you could come to this conclusion.

The Gael Scoil on the Ross Road announced a new school building would be built last year - Parents from the school announced this on South East Radio. It may have appeared in local papers too.

The pre-fab school on Ross Road is a temporary structure on rented land. It was never proposed to build a permanent school on the site - ( see conditions of Gael Scoil planning permission)

Enniscorthy Echo says gael scoil to start work on Ross Road in 2013.

Dept. of Ed. decides to scrap Educate Together school and build instead a gaelscoil at Vinegar Hill.

That's how to I came to that conclusion.

Advertisement