Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfortable camping in March

Options
  • 20-03-2012 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

We were thinking of making our first camping trip of the year next weekend. The forecast doesn't seem to be too bad, although it's early days yet so I'll keep an eye on it. We usually leave it until later in the year but I'm dying to go so I'm looking for tips to make it more comfortable.

The temperature during the day is not a problem, we'll be up and about and will bring a wood burner or fire pit to safely have a fire to sit around in the evening. Can anyone clarify regulations for me - I think we are allowed to burn "smokeless" fuel, with the campsites permission. Is this correct?

We have a sheet of tarp - what would be the best way to use it? Should I pick up some tent poles to use with it?

We'll have an airbed, a sleeping bag each, a duvet and 2 dogs to keep us warm during the night. Is there any way to safely heat a tent? I'm not looking for high temps, just to take the nip out of the air before we go to sleep and when we wake up.

Last year we had a cold night and used a takeaway tray with 4 little candles in it to warm us slightly - it didn't do much good and we spent the evening afraid to take our eyes off it. Then when we blew it out, one of the dogs stepped in it and got covered in warm wax. :o

Really I'm just looking for suggestions from more experienced campers on how to happily camp this month. If it's madness, we won't bother.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

You can camp all year round in Ireland, as it rarely gets really cold here. I was out over the weekend, and it was fairly cold overnight, but nothing too bad. Do you have a tent, or just a tarp? An enclosed tent will be a lot warmer than just a tarp, although it'd not be the best idea to have any flames in a tent, both for fire safety reasons and the build up on CO/CO2.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh no we'll have a tent, a 3 man dome tent. The tarp is just extra. We got it originally to make a shelter for a fire, forgetting that it might melt if it got too close.....:rolleyes:

Maybe the best bet for heat would be a fire until late and a fire bag ready to light up in the morning when we wake up. Really we'd be looking to warm the porch which is not fully enclosed. I'm thinking now that maybe if we position the tent in one area, the tarp as a wall a bit away and the fire in the middle we might be able to direct some heat in the tents direction :D Camping in the past I've always found the fire as much of a hindrance as a help. Smokey with very little heat. This time I'm thinking of bringing a few pre packed coal fire bags.

I'm a bit worried about keeping the dogs warm too. They will be in the tent with us and allowed on the air bed. If it gets really cold they'll feel it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Depending on your age tbh...but...myself i'll stay home !
    I'll have a go over day time and posible sleeping a B&B overnight.

You,with the two dogs,with this ever changing weather (4 seasons in a single day) is quite risky ... unless next day i'll visit my GP and the dogs' Vet too...

Patience,is only so less time left so you can have really fun out there... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Woodsocks

I have a Bell tent and not so long ago i picked up a Frontier stove for the tent. Its the best bit of kit i've got in a long time.
    I can camp all year with warmth and comfort. The Bell tent are not cheap, about £300-£400, from UK or much cheaper if you go to Neatherlands where they are made. The Frontier stove are about £100-£120 and are available from CampingSolutions.uk
    The way i looked at it they where a once off purchase that will last me a life time with propper care.
    The oul' dogs will be happy out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

Myself and a friend have camped out in Jan and Feb this year, using a lean to tarp with small over hang and brush/branches at one end to reduce draft with small open fire in front fot light/heat/cooking. Make sure to use matress/lilo good sleeping bag and bivybag and have thermals wool socks and wool hat ready in case, happy days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭ahun

Was out camping along the WicklowWay last weekend (3 nights), one night was below freezing, still with the fire, tent, a better sleeping bag it was all managable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

I've camped a good bit in winter months over the years but not with kids - that's asking for difficulty. The smaller the tent, in general, the warmer it is. Another person helps - body heat! We generally just did what we wanted to outside and when it gets cold, get in and climb into sleeping bags. A small stove in the porch, used with care, heats up the place while making tea or whatever. Socks worn loosely help and a woolly hat if it's cold. But maybe that's not the style of camping you want? I wouldn't worry about dogs - they're tough or should be. Ours sleeps outside winter and summer with just a wood kennel for shelter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Just use a good sleeping bag and get a hot water bottle or two

Thanks for the tips - we chickened out in the end though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭waterboy15

why not try a night on your own in the back garden, with the setup you were thinking of using ?.

• Advertisement

Because the neighbours would think we are mad and because we'd probably give up at the first shiver. :D

Advertisement