Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Things You Hate About Gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Boss levels, **** off Deus Ex

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

:confused:

It's the truth. Don't believe the BS that the average age of a gamer is 28 or whatever else that rubbish research shows. If you look at those studies they don't include anyone under 22, hardly a comprehensive study.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Magill wrote: »
    Valve time.
    These two words should be their own post, and everyone should thank it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

1.Fetch Quests(stares directly at my copies ME3 & Fable 3).
    2. That Some companies send games out to die, roughly speaking a example would be Rayman Origins got F**k all marketing when it was released instead Ubisoft knowing that Assassins Creed II.3 would sell they then got behind that instead & made Origins the redheaded step child.
    3. Missions that have to be completed in time limits. Sorry but why do you need 5 ho's in exactly 4 minutes 30 seconds Zimo?
    4. When games badly pay homage(read copy) to other games or movies.
    5. Bullet Sponge Boss Fights.
    6. As this gen comes towards its end i'm finding that sequels remind me so much of the last game I become bored with them much quicker or don't even bother finishing them.
    7. DLC Already on the Disc or released on the release date, add console exclusive dlc to that too.
    8. I already miss the instruction booklet from a large amount of games these days.
    9. The amount of rumours about the next gen consoles when 2 are probably a year off even being announced.
    10. When you read previews/reviews of games & the journalist is trailing off and filling up the article with soundbites & anecdotes rather than giving information about the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

having a crapload of money/tokens in a game and nothing to buy with them !!!!! drives me nuts , eg , Assassin's creed 2 , so you refurb your town , so bleedin what ? ya still have tons of money left even after you bought the paintings and the rest of the rubbish ,

can anyone else think of another game where this happens ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,333 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

having a crapload of money/tokens in a game and nothing to buy with them !!!!! drives me nuts , eg , Assassin's creed 2 , so you refurb your town , so bleedin what ? ya still have tons of money left even after you bought the paintings and the rest of the rubbish ,

can anyone else think of another game where this happens ?
    Skyrim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

ill give a couple more ...

Playing online and having a bad connection.

games that are built up so much , adverts etc , and turn out to be monkey sh1t

when you get a shoot em up , and the crosshairs/aim is slightly off, ahem ...some socom games in the past.

buying an online game and after a month or so there advertising map packs !!!!

redeem codes , this is the biggest p1ss take going , if I want to let someone else use my game online on there ps , they should be able to without buying another code , dirty flippin baxtards.

and last but by no means least , doesnt effect me anymore but it did back in the day, when your ma lands home and gives you a game for your birthday or whatever and you hear these immortal words " yer man in the shop said this is the game there all gettin now " turns out to be some count the squares before they turn into smaller squares rubbish ) Ma ! Nooooooo!!!! how could you fall for it , there clearin out the crap !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Peer 2 peer online gaming and cuting out dedicated servers. Arseholes...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

-Online activation required to install and play a Single Player game

(only noticed last night when I tried to install some games to beat the boredom of no Internet till it arrives )

Bioshock , COD:MW2 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Buying a game and then being expected to pay for it again ie modern warfare elite

Spreading out the checkpoints to give the gamer more of a "challenge"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

-Platformers or 3rd person action games that suddenly decide they want to be a racing game for a while, and include compulsory race sections that you have to come first in in order to progress the story - examples include Jak and Daxter 2 & 3 and The Saboteur. If I wanted a racing game, I'd have bought Gran Turismo, I don't buy racing games because I'm awful at them so don't me race!!

-The "male gaze" in games. I love gaming and am in no way ashamed of it, but when a female friend is watching me play Mass Effect 2 and the camera is climbing up Mirandas lycra clad ar*e, I can't help but feel a bit ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

and last but by no means least , doesnt effect me anymore but it did back in the day, when your ma lands home and gives you a game for your birthday or whatever and you hear these immortal words " yer man in the shop said this is the game there all gettin now " turns out to be some count the squares before they turn into smaller squares rubbish ) Ma ! Nooooooo!!!! how could you fall for it , there clearin out the crap !

but I loved this game ;)

tumblr_ljx03vp3XE1qgptqgo1_500.jpg&sa=X&ei=lLBpT5qzHpSIhQexmamMCg&ved=0CAkQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGv9yUtCq7WpEjTuGCgiE6jkbCRJg

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ex.Headbutt......why is it safe on block!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Most of my top ten gripes have been posted already so I'll just add this:
    No multiplayer crossover between the same game on different platforms
    I prefer buying games on PC, my friends prefer consoles. That's fair enough but if I want to play multiplayer with them, I have to buy the game on console. I would prefer if I could buy on PC and still play multiplayer with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

1 DRM
    2 Good graphics, bad gameplay
    3 Screenshots, and ads not using in game footage
    4 'Games for Windows' software
    5 Release now, finish the game in patches later if it's sucessful
    6 Withholding levels/content to be sold as DLC later
    7 Increasing features appealing to addictive traits in games e.g. achievements
    8 Industry hostility towards non pirating console modders e.g. OtherOS removal
    9 No news on HL3
    10 Any game published by Maxis

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I hate it ehen loads of games i want to play all come at once or around the same time
    :-)

8. Capcom bull**** with "super duper 18inch edition of cock slap 14!!" fallowed by " super duper 22inch edition of cock slap 14" for full retail price.

Are you refering to Street Fighter 4 and Marvel Vs Capcom 3?. Because neither of the updates for them released at retail where full price.
    Secondly regular updates is whats expected of fighting game franchises. It was something established back in the days of the arcade (there was 6 different versions of SF2 released in arcades). The hardcore fans who play these games competitively or even semi competitively are the ones who get the value from the updated versions and thats who they are for. If your just a casual player who only plays the game for a laugh stick with one version of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

1. Skyrim and all games like it. Its so boring, I've already played 46 hours and I have to play another 64 in order to justify the money I wasted on it and because I have nothing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

1. Skyrim and all games like it. Its so boring, I've already played 46 hours and I have to play another 64 in order to justify the money I wasted on it and because I have nothing better to do.

FUS RO DAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boards needs a thumbs down button...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,804 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Hello there, man I've never met before. Please take this very valuable item to my brother who you've never met in a town you've never been to and won't get to for several gameplay hours by which point you'll probably have forgotten all about it. Just talk to everyone randomly in the hopes you find him. Don't worry, he'll know who you are even though he's never met you before and he'll request the item from you once you approach him. Thanks. If you need me to remind you of this, I'll be wandering aimlessly around this village."

Any game like that (Fallout too) can f*ck right off. Never buying another one, regardless of the hype.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Azza wrote: »
    Are you refering to Street Fighter 4 and Marvel Vs Capcom 3?. Because neither of the updates for them released at retail where full price.
    Secondly regular updates is whats expected of fighting game franchises. It was something established back in the days of the arcade (there was 6 different versions of SF2 released in arcades). The hardcore fans who play these games competitively or even semi competitively are the ones who get the value from the updated versions and thats who they are for. If your just a casual player who only plays the game for a laugh stick with one version of the game.

Sorry, it's still bull**** and those are being sold as full games, not a dlc. Even worse with tekken vs sf4 with characters already on the disc...
    If people want to be fooled by it, then gl to them, but it is the last time I buy any capcom fighter on launch day. Fool me once, shame on you....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

1. Lag
    2. Cheating
    3. DLC and special edition games
    4. Bugs
    5. Repetitive gameplay
    6. Over priced release titles
    7. Having to pay for online services
    8. Dumb NPC's
    9. Bad matchmaking
    10. Quick time events

Penn wrote: »
    "Hello there, man I've never met before. Please take this very valuable item to my brother who you've never met in a town you've never been to and won't get to for several gameplay hours by which point you'll probably have forgotten all about it. Just talk to everyone randomly in the hopes you find him. Don't worry, he'll know who you are even though he's never met you before and he'll request the item from you once you approach him. Thanks. If you need me to remind you of this, I'll be wandering aimlessly around this village."

Any game like that (Fallout too) can f*ck right off. Never buying another one, regardless of the hype.

Funny stuff and it made me laugh but aren't you, you know, kind of dismissing huge aspects of these games by focusing on this one aspect that is annoying?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    Funny stuff and it made me laugh but aren't you, you know, kind of dismissing huge aspects of these games by focusing on this one aspect that is annoying?

I often find that people ignore huge amounts of the annoying aspects of these games by focusing on the good points :pac:

I was really, really disappointed by Skyrim. Thought it was a babystep forward from Oblivion. The combat was awful, the missions were dull, the inventory management still a pain in the arse, the whole world distractingly clockwork and full of dead-eyed dopplegangers, repetitive dungeons etc... Not to mention the Elder Scrolls' biggest flaw: that the lore and setting are sub-Tolkien fantastical nonsense to a cringey degree.

Not to say Skyrim's scope, technology and size weren't impressive in their own way. But there are serious game design issues too. I played around ten, twenty hours and can only see myself going back when I run out of other stuff. Genuinely a game whose level of almost mass consensus and gamer / critical hyperbole continues to confound me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Things I hate:

Ads featuring no game play footage. I have to go to youtube to find out basics, like is it a first or third person shooter?
    Bad controls. I don't think I'll even bother with the new GTA because I hate the controls so much.
    Not being able to skip scenes
    Bad writing. How many games involve an evil corporation?
    Pro Evo turning shíte.
    Dickheads online. First thing you have to do is mute all.
    DLC. I don't mind something like GT5. It comes out a year later, absolutely makes no difference to the game if you buy it or not. But DLC available straight away? Fúck off!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I prefer buying games on PC, my friends prefer consoles. That's fair enough but if I want to play multiplayer with them, I have to buy the game on console. I would prefer if I could buy on PC and still play multiplayer with them.

because you would own their asses!
    the PC has a mouse and keyboard which is superior to a controller in genres such as FPS's and RTS's there would be no contest
    I'm not getting into a them vs us argument but in this case it's true

I often find that people ignore huge amounts of the annoying aspects of these games by focusing on the good points :pac:

I was really, really disappointed by Skyrim. Thought it was a babystep forward from Oblivion. The combat was awful, the missions were dull, the inventory management still a pain in the arse, the whole world distractingly clockwork and full of dead-eyed dopplegangers, repetitive dungeons etc... Not to mention the Elder Scrolls' biggest flaw: that the lore and setting are sub-Tolkien fantastical nonsense to a cringey degree.

Not to say Skyrim's scope, technology and size weren't impressive in their own way. But there are serious game design issues too. I played around ten, twenty hours and can only see myself going back when I run out of other stuff. Genuinely a game whose level of almost mass consensus and gamer / critical hyperbole continues to confound me.

Fair enough. I'm coming at Skyrim after missing Oblivion entirely so I don't see it from your point of view, I suppose. I did play Fallout 3 and NV to death, however but I'm still loving Skyrim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fair enough. I'm coming at Skyrim after missing Oblivion entirely so I don't see it from your point of view, I suppose. I did play Fallout 3 and NV to death, however but I'm still loving Skyrim.

I played Fallout 3 and Oblivion to death without even realising it. But in hindsight they were largely empty hours, full of pointless subquests and flawed gameplay systems.

Skyrim - IMO, more of the same, albeit slightly prettier - just no longer cuts it for me. All the flaws are no longer forgivable, given they've had so much time to sort them out. I eagerly await Persona 5 for my next time sink.

• Advertisement

Sorry, it's still bull**** and those are being sold as full games, not a dlc. Even worse with tekken vs sf4 with characters already on the disc...
    If people want to be fooled by it, then gl to them, but it is the last time I buy any capcom fighter on launch day. Fool me once, shame on you....

There was 4 versions of SF4.

The second version which wasn't sold for full price, had 10 new characters, addtional moves added to the 25 old character, 4 new stages, about 20 additional theme tunes, bonus stages, reworked online modes, a replay channel feature, slightly reworked trails and was rebalanced game play wise. This on top of nearly all the orginal content (except the horrid challenge mode). There was more than enough content on it to justify its price tag which again they didn't charge full price for. Fans of the series regarded as a significant improvement over SF4. Expansion packs for PC games use to do the exact same thing.

The third version was available as DLC or on disc, and the 4th version was released as a free update.

SFxT has characters locked on disc alright.
    According to Capcom they where developed as DLC, on a seperate budget from the full main game. While they must of been developed at the same time as the main game, had they not been developed as paid for DLC they would not have not been released at all. Now you can say they pulled the content from the main game but I ask you provide proof of that. Had the DLC never been mentioned for that game no one would of said the game is incomplete. It has the second largest roster in fighting game history and has a full suite of gameplay modes for both online and off.

Had the DLC been annouced down the road I'm sure people would have no problem with it. However by having it on the disc it ensure comptability between players. Several times I've tried to use DLC characters in MK online only to find my opponent has not download the free dlc update to allow him to play against DLC characters (even though the included free bonus costumes). This method ensures everyone with DLC characters can play against people who don't have them. Its not just fighting games that have this problem. I remembering reading the Crysis 2 forums with people who bought map packs finding very few others had them and where therefore useless to them.

Advertisement