Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10 Things You Hate About Gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Skerries wrote: »
    because you would own their asses!
    the PC has a mouse and keyboard which is superior to a controller in genres such as FPS's and RTS's there would be no contest
    I'm not getting into a them vs us argument but in this case it's true

I know the arguments about controllers, etc. Why can't there be an option in the PC multiplayer mode that allows you to accept some handicap if you want to interact with console owners? If you chose to accept the handicap, you can access the multiplayer servers with console players, if you don't choose the handicap, you play with other pc players. I would (sometimes) prefer the handicap for multiplayer mode so I can enjoy the single player mode on pc rather than on the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    I know the arguments about controllers, etc. Why can't there be an option in the PC multiplayer mode that allows you to accept some handicap if you want to interact with console owners? If you chose to accept the handicap, you can access the multiplayer servers with console players, if you don't choose the handicap, you play with other pc players. I would (sometimes) prefer the handicap for multiplayer mode so I can enjoy the single player mode on pc rather than on the console.
    The only handicap system I can imagine - games gets a hammer and smashes every second finger on both of your hands.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Mr Bloat wrote: »

The logistics of deploying on multiple platforms are another reason why we rarely see proper cross platform play, for example Counter Strike: Global Offensive was supposed to be playable between Mac/PC and PS3 but Valve scrapped it (for PS3) after Beta testing because the certification process for the PS3 was too slow for the rolling update approach that Valve like to use to update their games (like TF2 and CS for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Threads about people who make threads on how much they hate gaming and still game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Threads about people who make threads on how much they hate gaming and still game.

It's a megabitch thread bud, enjoy while it's still not locked lol. Seen this in motors forum, gets out of control very fast! :)

Those damn Greek gamers!!! They invented gayness!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Most of my points have already been said quite a few times but heres my other gripes!

- MS Points, Why do I have to go to a shop to buy points then come home type in a feckin code on an xbox controller (which is not the quickest thing to do) just to get access to something that I could just give you my credit card details for, and I have to buy an exact amount so I usually have several hundred left over!

- Avatar accessories! Seriously €5 for a lightsaber for my avatar to hold! €5 euro really???

- Microsofts security flaws! I actually had thousands of points stolen last month because some genius knew how to hack my email account to download fifa content!!! Thanks for that pal!

- Remappable button layouts, If I want to Knife by moving the thumbstick up why can't I? (I dont really wanna do that). I should have the option to just pick up and play a game without having to get used to the controls again! Playing COD then trying Halo was a nightmare!!!! :(

I've seen many videos on this in particular, A small amount of handicapped gamers really struggle because of stubborn layouts, They really should be allowed remap as they see fit.

-I can understand paying for Xbox live but I cannot possibly understand signing up for COD Elite! 50 quid for a crappy website and content that took 4 months to come out and is not all that good!!!

Its the same with Star Wars TOR and WOW, Like If I pay 60 quid for a game just let me play the game!!!! Why do I need to top up an account to play online???

Rant over! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MellowToast

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Boss levels, **** off Deus Ex

The problem with their boss levels was that they were contracted out to a different company, one that had no idea what the game was about. It is a good game though despite the laziness of the owners of Deus Ex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The problem with their boss levels was that they were contracted out to a different company, one that had no idea what the game was about. It is a good game though despite the laziness of the owners of Deus Ex.

Which was the original story, they since admitted that they weren't contracted out. I just think most western developers just can't do good boss battles. Leave it to the japanese and don't do them at all if you don't have a clue I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Having to shot someone more than once to kill them. COD and the likes, it just ruins it for me when a guy can brush off being shot in the chest.

Sandbox games that have nothing to do in them.

Loading screens on PC, why do we have to sit through them now? I used to be able to just skip most loading screens but now they make you sit through the credits and titles over and over again for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

- Avatar accessories! Seriously €5 for a lightsaber for my avatar to hold! €5 euro really???

Pfft...Eve charged 70 American dollah for a MONOCLE

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

BlueShell.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »

Further to all this, when Capcom released the vastly superior, cut price SSFIV casual players moaned about a disc release. Capcom made several statements saying it was way too big for a patch (which considering the amount of raw content is in there, I would not disagree with).

Considering the hardcore will expect an improved version of SFxT, they got panned for the disc release of Super, can't release a patch big enough, multiple small patches would prove expensive and unweildy (Mortal Kombat has shown this, as mentioned by Azza- don't forget every patch has to be paid for), how do they actually try and make everyone happy BUT put the content on the disc?

I'm actually having this argument right now on the FG forum and no one has yet to answer this question.

The thing that annoys me about gaming: Everyone considers themselves knowledgable about it, and virtually no one is (including me) :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ScumLord wrote: »

Loading screens on PC, why do we have to sit through them now? I used to be able to just skip most loading screens but now they make you sit through the credits and titles over and over again for no reason.

Beacuse watching NVidia logos is the way it's meant to be played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

The decline of the Japanese RPG.

People who are bad at games. They seem to think it is the game's fault. When in fact the person isn't paying attention to the game wants them to do.

I can't stand someone getting annoyed at a game because they can't figure out what button it is to use an elevator, there should not be a problem in this age of games that play themselves. When I played games as a kid you tried every button and WATCHED what the buttons did. Still do this today with any new game.

Worse is watching them try the same approach to a problem over and over. If it didn't work the first time then you figured out that it was the wrong solution, try something different instead of assuming you are right and the game is "glitched".

I could go on but this seems like the incorrect thread for this :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I can think of hundreds. That hundreds being collecables. They drive me crazy, and I don't think I've ever met anyone who actually enjoys hunting them all down.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fundlebundle

Thought of another one.
    Game time. A game being judged based on the length of time it takes to complete. I remember max Payne 2 getting slated as it was so short but it was a perfectly consice game with great detail and hugely enjoyable IMO.
    Then you have games with padding to stretch them out, fetch quests etc. that are just plain boring.
    The first review news about mass effect 3 is that it's 40 hours. We don't know that it's a good thing unless we find out that they are 40 hours of greatness.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Akarinn

I'm a very bold boy

Azure_sky wrote: »

try XenoBlade Chronicles for the Wii, very hard to get here but it is goooooood

that and Last Story also for the Wii, though I don't think it has left Japan yet.

Both those games had developers that worked on older FF games, the ones before the famous FF7 :rolleyes:

I think I might be wasting my time with this post, I want to know what your first JRPG is please before I mention the long list of good JRPGs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

1 DRM - only punishes the buyer
    2 Removing levels or content to be sold as DLC on day 1 of release or later
    3 Screenshots, vids or ads not using in game footage
    4 Bad controls or UI on the PC version
    5 Rushing the game out the door with major bugs or issues
    6 Exclusive content depending where you buy the game
    7 The so called professional review websites that are in the publishers pocket
    8 Forcing multiplayer into single player game
    9 Lack of new ideas and the same old gametypes year after year
    10 Bad anti-cheating code in online games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Ads/trailers that show no gameplay footage. Then people get all excited because of that trailer, as if the game will be exactly like it. I remember people used to laugh at Nintendo ads for showing people playing games and showing what their actions would do in the game. At least they showed game footage!

Cutscenes. Or, at least, I dislike cutscenes when too frequent and/or too long. Play for 5 minutes followed by 10 minute cutscene. I want to play the game, not watch a movie. I could just skip them but then I miss the story that they're unable to tell during the game or in shorter scenes for some reason.

People who judge games or systems without playing them. I own a Wii and a PS3 and don't regret those purchases. There are about 40 games, at least, on the Wii that I would like to play or have played. But according to naysayers, the Wii is just for kids.

Labels for players. I used to class myself as a casual gamer since I only played occasionally but now that's someone who plays games like Wii sports all the time. So now I think I fall into the Core group. Yet the so called hardcore group could consist of those people I mentioned in the last point. A Hardcore gamer to me would be someone who lives and breathes games and knows everything coming out and all about new games. Yet they seem unaware of games such as MadWorld and Zack and Wiki.

(I know I come across as a Nintendo fanboy, but they're just someone I'm familiar with that helps me with the points)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

that and Last Story also for the Wii, though I don't think it has left Japan yet.

Was released here a few weeks ago.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Ads/trailers that show no gameplay footage. Then people get all excited because of that trailer, as if the game will be exactly like it. I remember people used to laugh at Nintendo ads for showing people playing games and showing what their actions would do in the game. At least they showed game footage!

Weird. I actually think it's great to see the modern trend of properly produced trailers for games. They are a marketing tool and do the job when it comes to getting my interest in a game.

The trailers for The Last of Us on PS3 and for The Witcher 2 on Xbox are recent examples of fantastic trailer-making IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,129 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah they look good but the way I look at it, if they're not showing gameplay or actual ingame footage then have to wonder why. I know it's all marketing and the trailer may be due to the game not being finished, like Last of Us which doesn't have a release date. But when they're advertising the game a week before its release, then I would prefer to see what it plays like without having to go to youtube.
    Though, again, I suppose it's all about the marketing. By making me go to look up gameplay vids on youtube, it means they got me interested. Other times, however, I may not look anything up and just catch gameplay clip on Playr.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Azure_sky wrote: »

Stop playing Square Enix games and look at the ones on the handhelds. JRPGs have never been better tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Thought of another one.
    Game time. A game being judged based on the length of time it takes to complete. I remember max Payne 2 getting slated as it was so short but it was a perfectly consice game with great detail and hugely enjoyable IMO.
    Then you have games with padding to stretch them out, fetch quests etc. that are just plain boring.
    The first review news about mass effect 3 is that it's 40 hours. We don't know that it's a good thing unless we find out that they are 40 hours of greatness.

I think the lenght of time it takes to finish a game should be on the back of the box. I rented Star Wars TFU2 last night and finished it in 3 and a half hours. The game ended so abruptly it was bizarre. Very little replay value too, I pity people who purchased it when it was released.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,347 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Stop playing Square Enix games and look at the ones on the handhelds. JRPGs have never been better tbh.
    I won't have you knocking LoD and FF. I know you're thinking it!

Okay another thing I hate about gaming, is summed up in this video. It's great. I've watched it about 5 times now. But the gist if you're short on time, is that modern games assume you're fcuking retarded. "Watch out! there's a pit!" "Heads up! Bullets will kill you!" "Would you like to run the tutorial program?" "Head here." "Shoot the highlighted object". Blah!

Penn wrote: »
    "Hello there, man I've never met before. Please take this very valuable item to my brother who you've never met in a town you've never been to and won't get to for several gameplay hours by which point you'll probably have forgotten all about it. Just talk to everyone randomly in the hopes you find him. Don't worry, he'll know who you are even though he's never met you before and he'll request the item from you once you approach him. Thanks. If you need me to remind you of this, I'll be wandering aimlessly around this village."

Any game like that (Fallout too) can f*ck right off. Never buying another one, regardless of the hype.

SOMEBODY didn't know how to enable quest markers...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,347 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

quest markers...
    Which gets back to my above concerns about game design :(

• Advertisement

A happy medium is required though. As frustrating as being spoon fed is, it's as bad as being left in the dark.

Ever play the Discworld games back in the day? Pixel hunting the most bizarre shít you can dream of - not fun.

Advertisement